[Donion] [1.1.69] Accumulator idle sounds synchronise with pause

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Donion] [1.1.69] Accumulator idle sounds synchronise with pause

Post by Kayanor »

As soon as the idle sound works, pausing the game synchronises all accumulator idle sounds. Unpausing while the sounds still fade out doesn't cancel the fade, instead the fade-out completes, and the sounds cut back in, synchronised.

Description:
If you pause the game in any way (I tested it with game menu, "shift + space" pause and opening the technology screen, all in singleplayer), the accumulator sounds will fade out and then stop. If resumed, all accumulator idle sounds will synchronise and become very loud. Also if you unpause the game immediately after pausing it, so the sounds do not completely fade out, all sounds will immediately come back, except for the accumulator sound, which will still completely fade out until it's gone and then come back synchronised.
Here is a video in which I demonstrate these issues with the "show-environment-sound-info" debug option enabled. There is also a weird dip in the lab sound volume at one point, I can't reproduce that.

What I expected:
Pausing and unpausing the game will resume sound playback at the point the sound faded out, or perhaps start playback on a random point in the sound file, like the lab working sound. Unpausing the game while the sounds still fade out cause the fade to cancel and the sounds to return to normal volume immediately.

What I got:
Pausing and unpausing the game causes the accumulator idle sounds to synchronise and possibly become very loud. Unpausing while the sounds still fade out doesn't affect the accumulator idle sounds, they finish their fade-out and then come back synchronised.

Steps to reproduce:
-> Accumulator idle sounds synchronise
  1. This works best in god controller with show-environment-sound-info enabled
  2. Find yourself a bunch of accumulators that hold a charge
  3. circle around the accumulators a bit so the solid pink "progress boxes" of the debug overlay are randomised
  4. pause the game (game menu, shift + space or technology screen), wait for the sounds to fully fade out ("progress boxes" should disappear)
  5. unpause the game
  6. all accumulator idle sounds are synchronised
  7. move a tiny bit
  8. the volume of the accumulator idle sound should decrease a little
  9. circle around the accumulators again (see 3)
  10. pause the game, unpause it while the "progress boxes" are still visible
  11. the accumulator idle sound continue to fade out and resume synchronised as soon as they finish fading out
Edit: split original post into two
Edit: split the split post into two, so there's three in total
Attachments
Testomatik.zip
That weird savegame I used in the video.
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
factorio-current.log
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Former moderator.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Donion] [1.1.69] Accumulator (and lab) sounds don't start or start synchronised

Post by Donion »

What a report!

I believe this is actually two (maybe two and a half) separate issues. The accumulator idle sound has been on my list for a while now, it's just low priority, but now that someone else noticed I'll get to it.

That frame-perfect scenario with labs is something I didn't think of when I started hunting down the sound synchronization issue. With these perfect reproduction steps, it should be a breeze to fix.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Donion] [1.1.69] Accumulator idle sounds synchronise with pause

Post by Donion »

Thanks for the report.
This is now fixed for the next release.
Also I made a change so idle sounds start at random position in the first place.

This concludes the idle sounds saga. The original report was split into three separate issues, a fourth issue was found and fixed on the way.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”