[0.17.50] Game locks w/ black screen, 100% cpu after 3 autosaves

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
lamontl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.50] Game locks w/ black screen, 100% cpu after 3 autosaves

Post by lamontl »

I run a headless server on my lan via a container. A few days ago, seemingly idle, the server jumped from about 40% cpu usage for the factorio process to 100% and attempting to connect causes my mac client to also consume 100% cpu after the mp save and catch up, never un-blacking the screen and forcing the application to be Force Quit. I can restart off an old save (_autosave1.zip from June 18) and it will run for about 3 autosaves before getting into some sort of fast busy loop. I can't tell if the act of autosaving is locking it or there's some internal, maybe time-based condition that it hits.

Here's the pattern of saves where I loaded _autosave1.zip a little after 2am, it ran for 3 autosaves worth then crashed before or during writing _autosave5.zip

build@factorio:~/factorio$ ls -al saves
total 517912
drwxrwxr-x 2 build build 4096 Jun 20 02:34 .
drwxrwxr-x 7 build build 4096 Jun 20 01:50 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 build build 105961684 Jun 18 07:36 _autosave1.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 102517447 Jun 20 02:14 _autosave2.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 105931563 Jun 20 02:24 _autosave3.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 103397003 Jun 20 02:34 _autosave4.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 build build 111232919 Jun 18 07:26 _autosave5.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 build build 1258501 Feb 19 2017 save.zip

(I'd chowned everything to the build user earlier from my host mount but the container is happily writing over those files as root, so I don't think the change of ownership is related)

I'm running the same save locally on my mac to remove the multiplayer and docker container from the equation. It ran (from the 0.17.50.zip) through 3 autosaves (about 15m) before locking up:

(from my mac, standalone with saved game)
-rw-r--r-- 1 lamont staff 106671567 Jun 20 01:48 0.17.50.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 lamont staff 105961684 Jun 20 01:59 factorio_earlysave.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 lamont staff 119452924 Jun 20 16:04 _autosave2.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 lamont staff 112883123 Jun 20 16:09 _autosave3.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 lamont staff 115530324 Jun 20 16:14 _autosave1.zip

The internal game time is 823 days, or 19883:40:00 on the play time clock at the start of the save and locks up at 19884:06:28

Below are the dropbox links to

the 3 autosave files from the mac lockup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erokv1claupc9 ... ar.gz?dl=0
the mods directory: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp1qn6xe1anpz ... ar.gz?dl=0
I've directly attached the factorio-current.log but it does not appear to be helpful.

I love this game and have nursed my poor stranded engineer for 823 days ever since the 0.14 days, I'd be sad to lose him and his planet. But we've had a good run.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
mac 0.17.50 locked up after autosave
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.50] Game locks w/ black screen, 100% cpu after 3 autosaves

Post by Rseding91 »

Congratulations. You've managed to hit the maximum playtime for a save file :)

Did you just let it run at a high game speed on the server while you weren't connected? I have a hard time believing you actually played for the entire 823 days real world time it would require.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

theBeave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theBeave »

It felt as though Rseding91 was having a bit of fun about the 'max playtime' until one does the math for 6o ticks/second on that amount of time (4.2billion ticks, max 32-bit number). I imagine this is 'will not fix' situation for the rare 2.25 man-years required to hit this edge-case.

Figuring the overall save file data is the more desirable portion of the map, and not the up-to-the-minute snapshot, is there a way to 'reset' the running time? Maybe or maybe not directly in the file/game, but perhaps by salvaging the base data and converting into the start of a fresh map/scenario??

lamontl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lamontl »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:43 am
Did you just let it run at a high game speed on the server while you weren't connected? I have a hard time believing you actually played for the entire 823 days real world time it would require.
Woah, max save time. Neat. I always wondered if I'd hit some sort of max counter bug at some point.

No, my game has been running in real time on the server for 800+ days. I logged in a few times a day but the challenge was to see how long I could let it run unattended before the biters overwhelmed some mining outpost. Life got a lot easier after artillery was introduced but otherwise I try and have redundant power and rail lines to all outposts and mining stations so that biters chewing through the tracks didn't lock up the trains and bring my whole empire down eventually.

To that effect I setup the old prometheus factorio mod back in the 0.14 days (then forked and limped it along through 0.15-0.17). I had prometheus alerts setup to tell me if my science production fell off or if any of my buildings were getting damaged, then I'd log in and right the world. Longest I ever went without playing was about a week for some vacations here or there. I've got a VM running factorio in a docker container and a whole testing setup to pre-vet any releases before any upgrade so that I don't mess up my world.

Anyway, love the game and I'm a little attached to this save, so if there's any way to manually reset the playtime counter such that I can keep going, I'd love that.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You can try importing the save file into a new one using the map editor "import save" feature. I have no idea if it will work or what might break but it's worth a try.

Your world will end up on another surface but from a gameplay perspective it won't change anything.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

lamontl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lamontl »

That worked perfectly, same giant 2+ year old world, in-game time of 5 minutes! Woo, back in business.

Thanks for making such an excellent game. I look forward to another 2^32 ticks out of this one.

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

:shock: I am in awe at your persistence sir. Well done.

Anyway we can see a map view of the world?
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

barbary
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by barbary »

I think I am having the same problem reported here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103019
but I can find no work around that fix's this for me.

The work around in this page talks about "import into the editor" is this the "Convert Save" feature?

I can't find a button marked "import a save". Nothing I do makes my world useable again.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

barbary wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 pm
I can't find a button marked "import a save". Nothing I do makes my world useable again.
Create a new empty freeplay game. Open the console and enter /editor. You need to do this twice (the 1st time is rejected to tell you're disabling achievements for this save). In editor mode, you have a new menu. Choose the "Surface" category. In that category, there is the button "Import save". The save will be imported into a new surface ("imported-nauvis-1"). Change to this surface in the drop down menu, then to get back to normal play mode, enter /editor again.

(if you ask what a surface is, see it like this: the game engine allows multiple planets to play on. Every planet has a surface. The default planet is called Nauvis. With that button, you're importing the planet from an existing save as new planet in the current save, so now you have 2 surfaces to choose from)

barbary
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by barbary »

Tertius wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:06 pm
Create a new empty freeplay game. Open the console and enter /editor. You need to do this twice (the 1st time is rejected to tell you're disabling achievements for this save). In editor mode, you have a new menu. Choose the "Surface" category. In that category, there is the button "Import save". The save will be imported into a new surface ("imported-nauvis-1"). Change to this surface in the drop down menu, then to get back to normal play mode, enter /editor again.

(if you ask what a surface is, see it like this: the game engine allows multiple planets to play on. Every planet has a surface. The default planet is called Nauvis. With that button, you're importing the planet from an existing save as new planet in the current save, so now you have 2 surfaces to choose from)
Thank you there is one minor step at the end you have to except the layer you are importing.

Couple Warnings
When you press import the game will start the import and just sit there with no indication of progress. It took more than an hour to complete the import process.
Also, you start with nothing so make sure you're near some supplies and transport.
Trains are left in manual mode but if they were in motion they are still in motion. This caused about 50 train crashes.

Return to “Minor issues”