Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by mmmPI »

Plantagen wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:27 am
Is it possible to see which fuel is currently being burned inside a train?
Maybe there something i didn't though of, but i would answer : no it's not possible to see which fuel is currently being burned inside a train easily.

If you are at a stage where you have access to nuclear fuel, but still few enough that you want to place them manually, maybe you can make a speaker ring when the coal is loaded into a train, this will tell you which train has started to run on the back up coal.

I think it's more trouble than trying to make sure you are loaded with nuclear fuel tough :)

Plantagen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Plantagen »

mmmPI wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:52 pm
Plantagen wrote:
Is it possible to see which fuel is currently being burned inside a train?
Maybe there something i didn't though of, but i would answer : no it's not possible to see which fuel is currently being burned inside a train easily.

If you are at a stage where you have access to nuclear fuel, but still few enough that you want to place them manually, maybe you can make a speaker ring when the coal is loaded into a train, this will tell you which train has started to run on the back up coal.

I think it's more trouble than trying to make sure you are loaded with nuclear fuel tough :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, it's easier to set up a requester chest for nuclear fuel than to set up a speaker and then refill manually. Will do that. Not sure why I didn't already think of it, since I use requester chests for many other things. :roll:

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Plantagen wrote:
Is it possible to see which fuel is currently being burned inside a train? For the tank and the car, it's indirectly showed by the acceleration speed percentage on the vehicle, being for example 100% or 180% or 250%. For trains there are some numbers too but not a simple percentage. I would prefer just a fuel icon though, making it explicit.

I currently deduce the train fuel by looking at the consumtion (red bar) while the train is running, but this is imprecise and requires that I be standing near the moving train.

The reason I want this is because I don't yet have auto-feed for nuclear fuel, so I manually put some into my train from time to time and would like to know when it's running low or when it has started running on backup coal, so I can put some more nuclear manually again.
The max speed and acceleration power in the entity's tooltip shows whatever bonuses they are getting from fuel.
Train with coal on left, solid fuel on right.
Train with coal on left, solid fuel on right.
trainfuel.png (66.84 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Note the train has to BE CURRENTLY USING the fuel to show the value - if you just insert the fuel into a slot the train info won't update until the train moves and thus starts burning the fuel. For vanilla this should be enough to figure out what fuel it is, especially if you just want to see if it's coal. EDIT: Ok you can't tell wood and coal apart, but I don't think that'll be important for anyone ever.

realcyberleon
Inserter
Inserter

Power switch reading out Roboport amount

Post by realcyberleon »

When connecting a Power Switch to a chest with a green cable it is possible to read out the content amount of the chest,
for example: [Amount of cables in Chest] = 133 -> When the amount of cables in the chest is exactly 133, the power switch closes.

However, the very same functionality is incorrect when connecting a Power Switch to a Roboport with a green cable.
When I have 130 Logistic bots in my Roboport and the closing condition is [Amount of Logistic bots in Roboport] = 130, my power switch does not close.
Instead, it only closes at the maximum stack size for Logistic bots: [Amount of Logistic bots in Roboport] = 50 -> this is the only case when it closes,
no matter how few or many logistic bots are in my Roboport.
I have tested this for all combinations of the two checkboxes "read logistic network contents" and "read robot statistics" that are available in the Roboport once it is connected to a logical network, just in the case that "read logistic network contents" is off, the signal is not 50 but always 0 (as expected).

I now tried to put a decider combinator in between but it didnt help. The problem is the source signal of the Roboport (always 50 (stack size))

Can the "contents" signal of the Roboport be fixed?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

If you enable "read logistic network contents" for reading the amount of logistic bots, you get the amount of logistic bots stored in logistic chests somewhere in the whole network. If you get 50, there is one storage chest somewhere in that network that has a stack of bots stored. These robots are passive, they are just a stored item and are not doing any work.

If you enable "read robot statistics", you read the amount of bots that were placed into roboports and that are available for doing logistic work. It's the sum of all robots in all of the roboports of the network. If you get 50, then 50 bots were put into roboports, and these may be distributed over all roboports of your network. You cannot read the amount of stored robots in a single roboport, if your network consists of multiple roboports.

An example:
This roboport contains 26 logistics robots, but X and Y give 150, because the other 124 are in some other roboport. You cannot get the number 26 of this roboport only. This is not a bug, it's just how the logistic network works. It's always seen as a whole, not as single roboports.
Screenshot 2022-08-11 131335.png
Screenshot 2022-08-11 131335.png (139.1 KiB) Viewed 4187 times

realcyberleon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Power switch reading out Roboport amount

Post by realcyberleon »

realcyberleon wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:32 am
When connecting a Power Switch to a chest with a green cable it is possible to read out the content amount of the chest,
for example: [Amount of cables in Chest] = 133 -> When the amount of cables in the chest is exactly 133, the power switch closes.

However, the very same functionality is incorrect when connecting a Power Switch to a Roboport with a green cable.
When I have 130 Logistic bots in my Roboport and the closing condition is [Amount of Logistic bots in Roboport] = 130, my power switch does not close.
Instead, it only closes at the maximum stack size for Logistic bots: [Amount of Logistic bots in Roboport] = 50 -> this is the only case when it closes,
no matter how few or many logistic bots are in my Roboport.
I have tested this for all combinations of the two checkboxes "read logistic network contents" and "read robot statistics" that are available in the Roboport once it is connected to a logical network, just in the case that "read logistic network contents" is off, the signal is not 50 but always 0 (as expected).

I now tried to put a decider combinator in between but it didnt help. The problem is the source signal of the Roboport (always 50 (stack size))

Can the "contents" signal of the Roboport be fixed?
Hello Tertius, thanks for your explanation! This results in a question about the roboport when the hooks are not activated ...

I found out myself where I went wrong, as well as where I believe Factorio is going wrong.
The [amount of logistic bots in roboport] = 50 was not the amount from the roboport itself, but from an active provider chest I had limited to 50, which was in the same botnet. My mistake here :)

My question is, shouldn't - in the case that the "read logistic network contents" is OFF - the content of just this roboport be read, instead of everything being zero? I mean, in that case it's like reading out a chest, shouldn't it behave like one (since the roboport is connectable to the logic network and especially since we CAN see its "contents")?
To see what I mean: Connect a powered roboport with a powered power switch via green cable. Turn off both checkboxes in the roboport. Hover over the little blue "i" you can see in the top right of the roboport with your mouse cursor. You see no signals being active, no matter how many bots you put inside the roboport. This would be the perfect place/situation where this information could be provided, for it seems to be unused at the moment (everything zero, always).

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I think, and I could be wrong, that the roboport is not actually considered a chest type entity. So you cannot get the contents of that particular port.

You can get the bot network statistics, but I don’t even know if any Repair Packs in a port even count towards the logistics network contents.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Power switch reading out Roboport amount

Post by Tertius »

realcyberleon wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:08 am
shouldn't - in the case that the "read logistic network contents" is OFF - the content of just this roboport be read
The devs decided to not provide the ability to read the content of slots that don't function as storage. It's not possible to read slots that contain consumables or items in transit - inventories in general: Fuel slots, input and output slots of assembling machines, content of the rocket silo - and the robot and repair pack inventory of roboports. The only in transit slots that can be read is the inserter hand and belt content, which can somewhat count as storage, while the robots in the roboport can be seen as fuel for the network.

I bet there are already suggestions/requests to make all these available, but so far there hasn't been added anything yet. I propose you find one of these in the Ideas and Suggestions subforum and add your request.

imcute
Inserter
Inserter

Post by imcute »

Aarrgh!
I'm barely progresssing after blue science(unable to blackbox purple and grey science due to complexity)
How to make an easier factory?
I'll never want to find out that one of the middle assemblers are misplaced and have to reposition the whole bus belt!

Mr_Rattus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mr_Rattus »

I want to change the "Absorption modifier" from 100% to 50% and if possible the "Maximum group size" for the enemies to 30 midgame using the console.
Is that possible and what would be the commands to do that?

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Mr_Rattus wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am
I want to change the "Absorption modifier" from 100% to 50% and if possible the "Maximum group size" for the enemies to 30 midgame using the console.
Is that possible and what would be the commands to do that?
Should be something like

Code: Select all

/c game.map_settings.pollution.aeging = 0.5
should make tiles absorb half as much pollution.

Code: Select all

/c game.map_settings.unit_group.max_unit_group_size = 30
sets the max group size to 30. Note this might not affect unit groups that are already assembling - some things don't affect already spawned units.

Can't test these as I'm not in front of a game, but they're all part of game.mapsettings

Mr_Rattus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mr_Rattus »

it seems to have worked. except for the select all part.
"/c game.map_settings.pollution.aeging = 0.5"
and
"/c game.map_settings.unit_group.max_unit_group_size = 30"
made the game respond, i just don't know how to do the select all part if thats important.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Mr_Rattus wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:50 pm
it seems to have worked. except for the select all part.
"/c game.map_settings.pollution.aeging = 0.5"
and
"/c game.map_settings.unit_group.max_unit_group_size = 30"
made the game respond, i just don't know how to do the select all part if thats important.
Not to worry, "select all" is a feature of this forum, if you click it will select the entire code snippet for you to copy, it is not part of the command.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

So let's say you have a belt with the same type of goods on both lanes. You want to send one lane of those goods, and *only* that lane of goods to a destination. Both lanes being 100% full is not guarenteed. Is using an underground still the main way of going about this? I'm thinking yes but wanted to make sure there wasn't belt/splitter trick or other advance in !!SCIENCE!! that I was overlooking.

I know a way to do this with a filter splitter and a rock, but it's not really blueprintable.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

ColonelSandersLite wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am
So let's say you have a belt with the same type of goods on both lanes. You want to send one lane of those goods, and *only* that lane of goods to a destination. Both lanes being 100% full is not guarenteed. Is using an underground still the main way of going about this? I'm thinking yes but wanted to make sure there wasn't belt/splitter trick or other advance in !!SCIENCE!! that I was overlooking.

I know a way to do this with a filter splitter and a rock, but it's not really blueprintable.
I would say "yes" undergound belt is still the main way of going about this.

The other method i think would imply splitter priority so that you overflow 1 lane only with things like fish to block it behind that splitter. I don't know how to do with only 1 rock.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

If both sides of the belt are the same material, then mixing the sides is not a factor, so sideloading is a possibility. However, if the primary side of the belt is full, then the other side can be drawn upon.

The only way to really avoid that is using underground’s. The one side gets in and the other side is fully blocked. Use a splitter and another underground pair to allow the other side of the belt to travel on as well.

If the two sides of the belt have different materials, then a simple filtered splitter suffices.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

In this wiki article, I see the 3 variants of how to separate belt lanes: with filtered splitter or with splitter and underground entry (split to 2 separate belts), with single underground entry (block one lane): https://wiki.factorio.com/Belt_transport_system - see "Merging and unmerging" for the former 2 and "Separating belt lanes" for the latter.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

mmmPI wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:02 am
The other method i think would imply splitter priority so that you overflow 1 lane only with things like fish to block it behind that splitter. I don't know how to do with only 1 rock.
We're probably thinking about the same thing. I misspoke though, it's actually 3 rocks. Or you know, any ol' junk. If you wanna be *really* cheap, you could use any of the blueprinting tools. They're completely free.

astroshak wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 pm
If both sides of the belt are the same material, then mixing the sides is not a factor, so sideloading is a possibility. However, if the primary side of the belt is full, then the other side can be drawn upon.
Mixing sides *is* a factor when sentence 2 is exactly what you're trying to prevent.

Tertius wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm
In this wiki article, I see the 3 variants
Yeah, I checked that. Of those three variants, only one does not use undergrounds and it only works because the two lanes are different materials.

Like I said guys, I was just checking if there has been some interesting scientific advance in this department. Not really a big deal.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 pm
mmmPI wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:02 am
We're probably thinking about the same thing. I misspoke though, it's actually 3 rocks. Or you know, any ol' junk. If you wanna be *really* cheap, you could use any of the blueprinting tools. They're completely free.
Just to clarify, this is exactly what I meant -
lanesplit.jpg
lanesplit.jpg (184.63 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Using iron and copper plates was done purely for illustrative purposes. Pretend that they are the same material on both lanes.

Each lane that gets blocked from going in a certain direction is blocked by 3 rocks. In order to make both lanes continue on separate belts as in B and C, that's 6 rocks total. The only difference between B and C is where the rocks where placed. The way that setup C sorta reverses the outputs like that could potentially have unexpected consequences if you're not aware of it.

Edit - Oh, and obviously, if you're actually wanting a lane of stone, you have to use something other than rocks. Honestly, you can just use whatever.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:03 am
Just to clarify, this is exactly what I meant -
It's better than what i had in mind :
fishsplit.jpg
fishsplit.jpg (69.89 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”