what settings are you going to play when the expansion is released?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Cerberus
Inserter
Inserter

what settings are you going to play when the expansion is released?

Post by Cerberus »

Hello everyone. I just finished Factorio for the second time. This time on deathworld settings.
I had to restart a few times. The first few times I kept getting overwhelmed very early in the game (desert map). Then there was a time I couldn't even start basebuilding because there was a large base of biters right ON my starting area coal patch. No idea how I could have done that even, the pistol is not so great and you start with low ammo. Then the final time it was a green, lush forest map, and then it was actually ridiculously easy to beat the game once I got my base surrounded by turrets (but until then I had to reload my autosaves a few times, and abusing the fact I know in advance where they will attack from). The forests ate all my polution so it only reached the biters further away when I already got flamethrowing turrets set up, and lots of cliffs and water giving me some natural choke points for easy base defending. So apparently there is a HUGE difference in difficulty depending on where you start (desert or green) and how the lay-out is of the starting area (biter bases or not, patches close or not, good lay-out of cliffs and water).

Then I started wondering. What settings will I play on when the expansion is released? Standard settings might be too easy, but deathworld might be too hard if I have bad luck with the starting area. Especially since we will not know what is coming higher in the tech tree and what new aliens we are going to be up against (contrary to the deathworld playthrough I just did). Probably will need to use manual settings, for example use the faster evolution settings of deathworld but still use the increased starting area of normal settings which seems more fair to me.

And what about you? What settings do you normally play on now and are you going to do it differently for the expansion? And why? Thought it would be fun to talk a bit about that and give each other ideas :) even if me might now know 100% if there will be new difficulty settings once the expansion is released.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: what settings are you going to play when the expansion is released?

Post by aka13 »

I have specifically started a dw marathon playthrough 500 game-hours ago. Since 1.2 is supposed to be for vanilla as well, and the expansion is considered "a game on top of the game" I have high hopes that the expansion will target end-game content, and that I will continue that save.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Cerberus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cerberus »

While it might be possible to use a previous save, I will not do that, since I suspect it will affect gameplay enormeously. We saw a new alien in concept art. When is this alien supposed to appear? If you use an old savegame, you have your (mega)base set up already by the time they come, so you give yourself an unfair advantage. I will definitely just start a new game.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I usually play with the default settings, or with peaceful enemies, or without enemies. My interest is not growing a factory while biters try to destroy it, but to grow a perfect factory. And since you're never able to do anything perfect, this is a truly never ending challenge.
I play with biters only, because there are quite a few recipes and buildings that make only sense if there are enemies, and I don't want to ignore a quarter of all the items the game has to offer. And a small brawl here and there is quite entertaining.

Should the expansion be released, I will probably start a new map to see all changes and additions right from the start. And to avoid any migration/compatibility issues with old saves. I guess, there will be small things that change the gameplay in a way that current factories could be rebuilt in different, hopefully more efficient ways, so continuing with an old save makes no sense if it comes to my personal goals.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I will play with any new settings that is implemented :) so far we have Railworld, Islands , Ribbon and their Marathon, Deathworld, or Peaceful variation.

I like railworld because of train and because there is no ennemy expansion, otherwise i play peaceful or without biters to only focus on building over-engineered design.

I wouldn't want to miss the new ennemies given the concept art that was shown, so maybe my first game would be a railword with a few biters if there is no new scenario/mode.

Or maybe just default settings, can't go wrong with those , and only later alter them to adress any particular desire.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I tend to turn resources up a bit (maybe more, maybe less than Rail World size/richness), but I turn the frequency to the bare minimum of 17%. I’d love to be able to reduce that a bit personally, as I feel that resource patches are still a little too close together at that setting. I always max out water settings, and play with default biter settings (including expansion being on).

I will play the expansion the same way unless something about it convinces me to change.

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

I prefer a railworld/deathworld hybrid with lowest frequency, and large size/richness. This is what I'm doing currently with K2/SE and its brutally fun. But the first time the expansion loads on my PC... I'm going straight to redmew or some high pop vanilla server to experience it with other people. This is what I've done with all of the major content updates over the years and it sortof turned into a tradition pre-v1.0.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

pointa2b wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:54 pm
I prefer a railworld/deathworld hybrid with lowest frequency, and large size/richness.
This is what I usually like too. Sometimes I'll tune the terrain settings a bit if I'm in the mood for something specific. If I'm after a more relaxed game or I want to build really big, I'll combine railworld with normal biter settings (i.e. re-enabling expansion and the like) instead of deathworld. The reason for that with a big build is mostly because I don't want to end up just having to disable them to continue or at least put it off for as long as possible.

Eternal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eternal »

Default settings, infinity chest to get max QOL armor and nuclear bots for my engineer...
Mapwise , i will go for more green and few deserts, always neat to have refineries in deserts 😁

Return to “General discussion”