Constant freezing and stuttering

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dxmc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Constant freezing and stuttering

Post by dxmc »

I don't know if this is a problem that can be dealt with here since I'm playing with K2 + Space Exploration, but I'll take a chance, maybe someone will have a suggestion. My system meets the recommended requirements but I'm having a problem with near constant short freezes. It's also slow to create and load saves, and invariably freezes on loading for 10-20 seconds. I've attached a screenshot and current log . Latest save is here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h5wBZb ... sp=sharingIf anyone could help solve this it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
20220909124851_1.jpg
20220909124851_1.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1093 times
factorio-current.log
(56.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Constant freezing and stuttering

Post by Zavian »

HI

I'm going to suggest you try turning your graphics settings down a bit. From the screenshot, it looks like it is stuttering somewhere during rendering.

You might also want to close other programs, as you only have 8GB ram, and most of that is already in use before Factorio even start loading.

dxmc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Constant freezing and stuttering

Post by dxmc »

Thanks, I'll try that. I did notice that it seemed to improve somewhat after rebooting the comp, so that would seem to tie in with clearing some memory.

Just played around with it, the graphics options are a little confusing because the game doesn't have the normal options and there are no global pre-sets. It has options related to video memory, atlas size and texture streaming. I have no idea how the last two work, the options there aren't really explained. Apart from that there's a long list of effects you can turn on and off, but it's a little obscure what a lot of them do. Also, checking memory there aren't a lot of programs running, the biggest memory user would be Steam itself, which runs numerous processes. And unfortunately none of that can be turned off. Is there a guide that anyone knows of that explains the graphics settings a little better ? Because what I'm seeing is that it's GPU usage is very low, CPU usage is moderate but cuts out frequently when the game is stuttering, it doesn't fit the typical game profile.

Return to “Technical Help”