Is it possible to read the amount of fluid in a fluid wagon and output the result to a signal?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Is it possible to read the amount of fluid in a fluid wagon and output the result to a signal?

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:59 pm
Edit: Though , looking at it a bit more, ColonelSanders used the word " selfcontradiction" and not "confusion", i think then it would refers to something like 14.7 being rounded to down to 14, which is then not the "nearest" integer ?
That's the one!

Look, it's alright. I get that I'm just a weirdo. Doesn't mean I won't bitch and moan though.

mrvn wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:53 pm
"rounded down" is "floor" or simply truncated
Those aren't the same thing.

-27 / 10 = ??

Round it down it's -3.
Truncate and it's -2.

In factorio circuit networks, it's -2. Yeah, I checked in the game to be sure since this stuff is now a matter of some controversy.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is it possible to read the amount of fluid in a fluid wagon and output the result to a signal?

Post by mmmPI »

some things have changed, and keep changing it's impossible to track every changes !
mmmPI wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:02 pm
if you always round down (to an integer) the name is truncated.
ColonelSandersLite wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 pm

-27 / 10 = ??

Round it down it's -3.
Truncate and it's -2.
I agree with the number and my sentence was imprecise, i had not thought of negative number, the second definition about discarding the decimal part is the correct one but i worded it imprecisely in my first sentence.

I've checked in game 14.7 does show 14 i don't want controversy :(

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:53 pm
"rounded down" is "floor" or simply truncated

-27 / 10 = ??

Round it down it's -3.
Truncate and it's -2.

In factorio circuit networks, it's -2. Yeah, I checked in the game to be sure since this stuff is now a matter of some controversy.
rounded down == floor(-27 / 10) == -3, "the largest integral value that is not greater than x".

Truncated indeed just throws away everything after the decimal dot and gets -2 and that is what factorio does. It just truncates:

Code: Select all

int amount = tank.fluid_box.amount; // truncate double to int
You would describe that more precisely as "round to 0" and not "rounded down". Natural languages are so flexible. Sorry for being imprecise. :)

But now it seems to check for 0 < x < 1 and round up that special case.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:59 pm
Edit: Though , looking at it a bit more, ColonelSanders used the word " selfcontradiction" and not "confusion", i think then it would refers to something like 14.7 being rounded to down to 14, which is then not the "nearest" integer ?
That's the one!
Well, this is how I look at it: you're rounding down, so any values greater than your value are not considered. As such, you're looking for the "nearest" integer in the down direction.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:07 pm
Well, this is how I look at it: you're rounding down, so any values greater than your value are not considered. As such, you're looking for the "nearest" integer in the down direction.
I think describing the process as its done on the wiki or as you do is the better way to explain on the wiki, it's what is there already :), because giving a name suppose everyone has the same definition, which would need to be explained, which would be the description of the process ...

Now the example of -27/10 would means according to "looking for the nearest integer in the down direction", -3, but in game it would show -2 according to ColonelSanders test.

However, in relation with the train stop itself, it cannot ouput negative content or ID number, so i guess what is on the wiki is correct because it is on the train stop page, the way the circuit network deals with -27/10 is not required to be explained there.

The wiki explain also how it behave differently between 0 and 1 which is helpful in game.

"the closest integer in the direction of 1 ? :D " i don't think that even have a name

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Well, for the purposes of the fluid wagon, we are talking positive numbers. A fluid wagon cannot have a value less than 0. You can put that through a combinator to flip the sign, sure, but all the rounding work of the fluid wagon contents has already been done by this point.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Gameplay Help”