Friday Facts #365 - Future plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #365 - Future plans

Post by dog80 »

so when will we get to know whats next in factorio? plz soon!

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

DLC or factorio 2?

I wonder...

xeln4g4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xeln4g4 »

My vote goes to:

One big expansion pack !!!

Zinic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zinic »

I'm excited to learn the new stuff the devs are working on. Personally, I would love an expansion pack that focused on... exploration! I always had this idea that to claim fertile land ripe for exploiting, you'd have to defeat the "Queen" located deep in a cavern. Cavern because then you'd make use of the military tech and your prowess on foot as opposed to cheesing a victory by dropping nukes or using vehicles or "turret creeping".

Another idea I had is a suite expansion pack you can find while exploring. I think people would always be happy to be able to have more inventory or slots in their modular suite.

I believe the devs said at one point that this is a game about factory building and the other aspects are secondary, such as exploring or defending, but exploring can be fun and optional really. The ideas I had above wouldn't be necessary to do in order to launch the rocket.

doninwales
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by doninwales »

No updates for a year and a half....?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

doninwales wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:07 pm
No updates for a year and a half....?
You may want to check again. They've done 4 FFFs since, one of which was specifically on the Expansion.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

doninwales
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by doninwales »

Yeah, my Bad :-(

I just clicked on the top post.

However.....have read the subsequent posts.....

#369 - April 2022 - a spoof post
#368 - Feb 2022 - Looking back
#367 - Feb 2022 - Probably the latest comments related to the 'future'......

So 6 months with no real update :-(

Am just frustrated....lol.... I want to get another/new 'fix'.

I've been back to Factorio multiple times, starting from scratch and building on the efficiencies I've learned from previous attempts.
But as soon as you get to rockets (and somewhat beyond) it gets a bit.....repetitive. (almost boring :-( )

I've tried other games - such as Satisfactory, but I've just never enjoyed them. (I hope Factorio 2 doesn't go 3D!)

I'm of the 'older generation' so I hope that the new Factorio appears before I become 'too' old to enjoy it... ;-)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

doninwales wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm
Yeah, my Bad :-(

I just clicked on the top post.

However.....have read the subsequent posts.....

#369 - April 2022 - a spoof post
#368 - Feb 2022 - Looking back
#367 - Feb 2022 - Probably the latest comments related to the 'future'......

So 6 months with no real update :-(

Am just frustrated....lol.... I want to get another/new 'fix'.

I've been back to Factorio multiple times, starting from scratch and building on the efficiencies I've learned from previous attempts.
But as soon as you get to rockets (and somewhat beyond) it gets a bit.....repetitive. (almost boring :-( )

I've tried other games - such as Satisfactory, but I've just never enjoyed them. (I hope Factorio 2 doesn't go 3D!)

I'm of the 'older generation' so I hope that the new Factorio appears before I become 'too' old to enjoy it... ;-)
Well, there are mods. There are some large ones, too, like Kastorio2, Space Exploration, Industrial Revolution 2, Bob's mods, etc, that really change or expand upon the gameplay. (I personally haven't played the large ones because I don't like some of the changes or because I haven't wanted to deal with mod compatibility of the smaller ones I use, but they do have large followings.)

That aside, the devs are still here working on things. You can tell by the fact that they're continuing to release bug fixes and, if you check out the bug section, you'll notice there's even a "Fixed for 1.2" category, so you know they're still working on it. (There's not a lot in there, but this is mainly for bug reports that can't be or are harder to fix in 1.1.)

Personally, while it would be nice to get regular updates and glimpses into what they're doing (I mean, who wouldn't want that? :)), I do understand them not doing it as frequently as they were, and the mere fact that they're still doing regular bug fixes at the same time is enough for me to know they're still around and working. If they weren't even doing that or replying to people on the forums, then I'd start getting worried and wanting some news.

Aside from that (and I'd have to go back through everything to verify, which I'm not going to do, so unless there's someone around that knows differently off the top of their head), I believe the original planned release date was by the end of this year, anyway, so really, we're not that far off.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

lacika2000
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lacika2000 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm
Aside from that (and I'd have to go back through everything to verify, which I'm not going to do, so unless there's someone around that knows differently off the top of their head), I believe the original planned release date was by the end of this year, anyway, so really, we're not that far off.
So this is alright (if true!), and I don't mind the wait ultimately (there is so much to do!) but it would help tremendously to know from which day in December or the Christmas period onward I need to prepare my wife and family why they will not see me effectively throughout the day (and night)... :geek: :D

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

lacika2000 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:30 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm
So this is alright (if true!), and I don't mind the wait ultimately (there is so much to do!) but it would help tremendously to know from which day in December or the Christmas period onward I need to prepare my wife and family why they will not see me effectively throughout the day (and night)... :geek: :D
It’s not true… they’ve never announced a ‘planned release date’. They only thing they said was in this FFF: they think it will take more than a year. And sure enough, it has. It could still take 1, 2 or many more years, we just don’t know.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shuisman »

Perhaps next week there is 2 year anniversary of the expansion announcement?

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

Shuisman wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:39 pm
Perhaps next week there is 2 year anniversary of the expansion announcement?
Doubtful since they gave a sprinkling of info a month or so ago, but you won't see me complaining if they sprinkle a little more...

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:54 pm
gorbag wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 pm
mrvn wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:26 am

Factorio supports multiple surfaces. And you can portal the player and vehicles between surfaces with LUA. What's missing is support for rails to connect to another surface. It's one of my open suggestions. Imagine you could build a tunnel into a cliff to get underground and come back out on the other side of the hill.
I'd love the ability to create overpasses and underpasses.
Overpass is kind of tricky because graphics wise you would expect to see the top of the overpass and watch the train drive over it. But the top would be a different surface so the ramp would have to go up into the clouds and disappear. And then come back out of the clouds some time later.
I don't believe this is true. This game already has built-in layer support that would work for this.
Also, the older Command and Conquer games had a similar look to this game and had bridges over the same type of terrain as Factorio.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 pm
I don't believe this is true. This game already has built-in layer support that would work for this.
Because the built-in layer support works so well today?
Attachments
Where are those inserter arms.png
Where are those inserter arms.png (305.95 KiB) Viewed 6322 times

toprakkoyun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by toprakkoyun »

I honestly cannot wait anymoreeee :((

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 pm
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:54 pm
gorbag wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 pm
mrvn wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:26 am

Factorio supports multiple surfaces. And you can portal the player and vehicles between surfaces with LUA. What's missing is support for rails to connect to another surface. It's one of my open suggestions. Imagine you could build a tunnel into a cliff to get underground and come back out on the other side of the hill.
I'd love the ability to create overpasses and underpasses.
Overpass is kind of tricky because graphics wise you would expect to see the top of the overpass and watch the train drive over it. But the top would be a different surface so the ramp would have to go up into the clouds and disappear. And then come back out of the clouds some time later.
Also, the older Command and Conquer games had a similar look to this game and had bridges over the same type of terrain as Factorio.
Layers are a static structure that tell the game in what order to draw things and handles collisions. On a ramp the rails and trains would have to change their layer so they are now on top and don't collide with rails/trains below them. For rails you could make "raise rails" for the overpass. But the train would have to dynamically switch layers going up/down the ramp. That doesn't work.

Also it wouldn't scale. Overpasses would only allow one rail to cross a second rail on the same surface. Being able to cross surfaces would be far more powerful.

daifeiya
Inserter
Inserter

Post by daifeiya »

Really looking forward to factorio 2

Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hiekie »

Any news on the expansion or development?

Still waiting to get more Factoio! One of the best games i ever played!

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

kovarex wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
immibis wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Someone's probably said it already, but an obvious upgrade would be 3D rendering. Might make the game a lot smaller, too.
Maybe, but show me a game that can render 30 000 3D objects (instead of sprites) on the same screen.
It's a bit late for me to be telling you that any modern graphics card can easily handle millions of triangles per frame.

Return to “News”