[CLOSED] 2022 Mod Portal Survey

Regular reports on Factorio development.
vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[CLOSED] 2022 Mod Portal Survey

Post by vinzenz »

Whether you work on mods for Factorio, create tools for mod creators or just play with mods. If you use the Mod Portal, we would like to hear from you!

Help us plan the future mod portal development by filling out the 2022 Mod Portal Survey!

There's already a lot of feedback on the Mod portal Discussion forum. But we don't know how many people would like to see certain features and improvements or how much you like the mod portal in general. The results also allow us to create a baseline for measuring user satisfaction. Ideally (if we get enough responses) we can then repeat the survey annually.

If you have feedback or questions on the survey itself feel free to post here.
bringing the oops to devops

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 2022 Mod Portal Survey

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hi,

In the feedback, the section "Which parts of the mod portal would you like to see improved most?" could use an N/A or similar column. While it does submit without selection, I don't know how many people are going to try this vs just selecting an answer. For example, I don't use the portal API or "My Licenses" section, so I have no feedback regarding those.

Otherwise, thank you!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

In that case I thought people would choose "Needs the least improvement" option if they don't care about it. But judging from the current results it looks they then just use the middle option for it.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

vinzenz wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:10 am
In that case I thought people would choose "Needs the least improvement" option if they don't care about it. But judging from the current results it looks they then just use the middle option for it.
Yeah, I think many people (well, I am, anyway) are used to the middle being a "don't care" if there isn't an explicit option on the end (sort of like options between strongly agree and strongly disagree, the middle one is typically your "meh" one).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

I interpreted "Needs the least improvement" to mean "please *don't* change this".

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Even going by that definition, I'd still not want to select that for something I've never used because I don't consider myself as qualified to make a judgement on it. For all I know it's absolute crap and definitely needs improvement. How do I know? :P

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:26 pm
Even going by that definition, I'd still not want to select that for something I've never used because I don't consider myself as qualified to make a judgement on it. For all I know it's absolute crap and definitely needs improvement. How do I know? :P
That's what surveys are for. They're not there for you to tell the absolute scientific truth, but your perception of the reality. That's why science is not made by surveys, but by actual research (except on social medias :roll: )

Once the devs have as many people as possible telling in what direction they feel things should go, they'll know where a (hopefully) statistically signifiant part of their playerbase want to head to. ... and go the opposite way because players are bad at designing games :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:45 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:26 pm
That's what surveys are for. They're not there for you to tell the absolute scientific truth, but your perception of the reality. That's why science is not made by surveys, but by actual research (except on social medias :roll: )

Once the devs have as many people as possible telling in what direction they feel things should go, they'll know where a (hopefully) statistically signifiant part of their playerbase want to head to. ... and go the opposite way because players are bad at designing games :lol:
True, but consider this (albeit unlikely) scenario:
Of all the responses on feature X, 90% marked needs the least improvement, while 10% marked needs the most improvement. How do you tell why 90% marked needs the least improvement? What if all of them marking that answer have never used it? Would this not be different than say only half have never used it? I think it would be.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I suggest another survey : "Did you use the the middle option because you think it doesn't need improvement, or because you don't care ?"

:lol:

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Oh goodness... surveys about surveys. Where will it end?!? :lol:

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Just here (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) way over there :?:

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I‘d suggest to just evaluate the question relative to each other and not individually. People just clicking anything because they didn’t want to answer the question in the first place will cancel out and the features that annoy the most people will be on the top of the list.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Is there a close date on the survey?

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

Very interesting to see all your different interpretations of the "Needs the least improvement" option. Maybe in the 2023 survey I will phrase the question like "What part of the mod portal would you like us to spend more development time on?
lyvgbfh wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:30 am
Is there a close date on the survey?
I haven't decided yet, letting it run 2-4 weeks sounds sensible at me. Still getting plenty of responses per day, already passed 500 participants.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Vinzenz, do you give us a summary of the results and maybe what follows?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

The weirdest part of that question to me is how 1 stands for "Needs most improvement" and 5 stands for "Needs least improvement"

Surely 5 means the improvement is most dire?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:55 am
Maybe in an upcoming FFF ? :p
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:55 am
Yes, will do that eventually. Most likely another forum post, not as FFF.
Drury wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:41 am
The weirdest part of that question to me is how 1 stands for "Needs most improvement" and 5 stands for "Needs least improvement"

Surely 5 means the improvement is most dire?
I tried to phrase all questions so that the more positive stuff is on the right side vs if you don't like the current subject you click on the left. But I see that this lead to somewhat of a dissonance on that question :D

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

We passed 1000 respondents! Will close the survey next monday.

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [CLOSED] 2022 Mod Portal Survey

Post by vinzenz »

I wrote something about the survey results over here: viewtopic.php?f=189&t=102879

Return to “News”