[1.1.57] Train says "both stops inaccessible" when one stop is inaccessible and one is full

Bugs that are actually features.
robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.57] Train says "both stops inaccessible" when one stop is inaccessible and one is full

Post by robot256 »

See attached screenshot. Probably this is a minor or won't fix, but I thought it was interesting.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a loop of track and place a train on it.
2. Place a train stop on the loop and set its trains limit to 0.
3. Place a disconnected segment of train and place a second train stop on it.
4. Name this second train stop the same as the first, and set the trains limit to 1.
5. Schedule the train to go to the train stop on the loop.
6. Train will reserve the inaccessible stop and say "No path". This is good and should not be changed! I have a plan to use this status in a scheduling mod.
7. In the train schedule, the tooltip for the schedule entry says "Both stops are inaccessible from current position." This inaccurate, because only the reserved stop is inaccessible. I suggest it should instead be "Reserved stop is inaccessible from current position."

Note that if the accessible stop then becomes available, the train remains in the "No path" state towards the inaccessible stop, rather than repathing to the accessible stop. You can trigger the repath by disabling and reenabling the now-available accessible stop. An argument could be made for triggering the repath of the stuck "No path" train when train limit changes on an alternate destination (I understand it is important to not repath trains that are already moving towards their reserved stations). I do not have any opinion on whether this should be changed.. (I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior, and will submit a separate report if I do.)
inaccessible.png
inaccessible.png (139.68 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

_CodeGreen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.1.57] Train says "both stops inaccessible" when one stop is inaccessible and one is full

Post by _CodeGreen »

> 6. Train will reserve the inaccessible stop and say "No path".

Trains don't reserve stations that they cannot go to, they show "No path" when it cannot find a valid path.
The only reason it says "No path" instead of "Destination full" here is because of the inaccessible stop, but it's not reserved, the train is just attempting to path to it over and over. If you deleted the inaccessible stop, the train would say "Destination full" instead, and in both scenarios the train behaves normally:
Repathing every few seconds until the loop station becomes available.

I do agree that the wording in the train menu is a little weird, but the situation where someone would actually get confused by that has a very, very slim chance of happening, as someone first has to have 1) both train limit and enable/disable on the same station name, 2) this situation actually being a problem to investigate, and 3) actually get confused by reading it, which all combined I don't think is significant.
My Mods | If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.57] Train says "both stops inaccessible" when one stop is inaccessible and one is full

Post by robot256 »

I don't mind if this is a "won't fix". I realized for my purposes it made more sense to leave the inaccessible stops with train limit 0, so they are never pathed to. My mod detects when certain trains enter "destination full" and changes the schedule for them.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

I am going to call this a "not a bug" but it may be also classified as minor issue. Because of the disconnected stop the train goes into NO_PATH and the message shown is just for that. Its not doing any fancy checks to see if there are other train stops that are reachable but full. From the perspective of the train, a full train stop is also inaccesible. This may cause some tiny inconsistencies in the wording (when adding a station to a schedule it would list a full train stop as "accesible" while part of schedule such train stop would be considered "inaccesible") but this has no game side effects, its just a GUI code trying to be helpful and failing to recognize weird corner case of having open but not reachable stops and full but reachable stops at the same time. I would rather change the wording when adding station to say how many stations are reachable, kind of assuming that "reachable" and "accesible" have 2 different meanings.

Return to “Not a bug”