What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by Drakken »

Koub wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:05 am

You can't liquefy coal if you don't have heavy oil firsthand. At that point, you can do blue tech science.
That was my point. Coal liquefaction is "impractical" because it would be much more useful if you didn't need oil to research it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

One doesn't only need heavy oil to research it, but also to produce it. That was my point.There is no need to remove blue science from the research, because you'd still need blue science to get heavy oil to be able to liquefy coal.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

xZippy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xZippy »

Shotguns. The submachine gun is just so efficient. The shotgun is just slow and mediocre. Not the worst weapon ever, but not worth using.
Water barrels. It seems the sole purpose for their existence is for fluid consistency, which I get. Still, useless item.

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

Pistol. Even if you have to fight before unlocking anything else, it's better to unequip it and just melee with much better DPS. I'm not sure what the difference is but it's very noticable, especially on spawners with armor. Considering the pistol also costs a ton of expensive ammo to kill anything relevant, it's a trap to use.

Efficiency mk 2 and 3. Just not worth it in any reasonable scenario.

Steel furnaces is something I always skip. Electric furnaces unlock immediately afterwards, you HAVE to mass produce them for science while steel furnaces are dead-end, and steel offers no real efficiency improvement to offset the investment. I get that there's probably a speedrunner argument for using it since it upgrades in place for 100% more throughput which is quicker to build than a new line of stone furnaces though.

I will defend Iron boxes for DW Marathon games. Wood boxes mean cutting trees which increases your pollution significantly. Steel becomes very expensive and also polluting on Marathon to mass produce.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

HadesSupreme wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:53 pm
steel offers no real efficiency improvement to offset the investment.
It's literally 100% more fuel efficient since it's twice as fast and uses the same energy - 90kW. In the part of the game you're using them, stone furnaces are the single largest energy user a base has, though people don't realize it since they're not using electricity so don't get on the graph with everything else. Replacing them with steel halves that cost.

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

Silari wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:17 pm
HadesSupreme wrote:
steel offers no real efficiency improvement to offset the investment.
It's literally 100% more fuel efficient since it's twice as fast and uses the same energy - 90kW. In the part of the game you're using them, stone furnaces are the single largest energy user a base has, though people don't realize it since they're not using electricity so don't get on the graph with everything else. Replacing them with steel halves that cost.
Coal never runs out so who cares. I've specifically played entire games relying on coal power and you'll run out of iron and copper long before coal. Even if you take into account that it halves the amount of mining drills you need and therefore their coal/pollution cost, it's not economically efficient due to the start up cost of replacing all your stone furnaces with steel furnaces. If you're trying to be efficient then you immediately go to electric furnaces and put efficiency modules in them, which blows steel furnaces out of the water.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

HadesSupreme wrote:
Pistol. Even if you have to fight before unlocking anything else, it's better to unequip it and just melee with much better DPS. I'm not sure what the difference is but it's very noticable, especially on spawners with armor. Considering the pistol also costs a ton of expensive ammo to kill anything relevant, it's a trap to use.
From what I can see, melee does 8 damage at a rate of 2/sec, whereas the pistol is 5 damage at 4/sec. So that's a 16 vs 20 dps, respectively. You also can't melee and move at the same time.

Regarding spawners and their armor (2/15%), that makes it (effectively) 5.1 at 2/sec and 2.55 at 4/sec, or 10.2 and 10.2 dps. You'd need to be up against an armor of at least 3/x% before melee actually has the better dps.

All of that said, I would probably still agree the pistol is not that useful, but for other reasons than what you stated.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:19 pm
HadesSupreme wrote:
From what I can see, melee does 8 damage at a rate of 2/sec, whereas the pistol is 5 damage at 4/sec. So that's a 16 vs 20 dps, respectively. You also can't melee and move at the same time.

Regarding spawners and their armor (2/15%), that makes it (effectively) 5.1 at 2/sec and 2.55 at 4/sec, or 10.2 and 10.2 dps. You'd need to be up against an armor of at least 3/x% before melee actually has the better dps.

All of that said, I would probably still agree the pistol is not that useful, but for other reasons than what you stated.
I checked and you are correct in your facts, but wrong on some of the conclusion:

Biters automatically heal. Stage 1 biters have 15 health, but effectively have 16 due to this immediate healing. 3 pistol shots does 15 damage and will never kill a biter, but 2 melee hits do. So effective pistol damage vs. them is actually 33% lower than you think.This also means that trying to shoot while running becomes vastly worse in DPS, because with multiple enemies all of them are healing at the same time. So melee with a stack of fish (and light armor) is definitely the better strategy even discounting ammo cost. Both these combined is probably what I was feeling

I'm also not sure on this but it appears that melee is at least a little faster than 2/sec. I clocked 125 hits in 60 seconds. But that's a fairly marginal difference.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

HadesSupreme wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:16 pm
Biters automatically heal. Stage 1 biters have 15 health, but effectively have 16 due to this immediate healing. 3 pistol shots does 15 damage and will never kill a biter, but 2 melee hits do. So effective pistol damage vs. them is actually 33% lower than you think.This also means that trying to shoot while running becomes vastly worse in DPS, because with multiple enemies all of them are healing at the same time. So melee with a stack of fish (and light armor) is definitely the better strategy even discounting ammo cost. Both these combined is probably what I was feeling

I'm also not sure on this but it appears that melee is at least a little faster than 2/sec. I clocked 125 hits in 60 seconds. But that's a fairly marginal difference.
Well, even taking the healing into account, that still makes them match in how fast they can kill. I’ve also found that running while shooting is better (for me. I suppose ymmv). It puts the biters in a (close to) single file line, allowing me to take out the first few biters at range and it limits how many can be hitting me at once when they do close in, as well as makes it so their attacks have pauses between them (they actually stop moving when they attack, giving me time to move away and then they need to catch up again). Of course, with too large of a group, none of that matters.

I can’t say the material cost matters to me, though? 1 iron plate for 10 shots. Seems pretty cheap for the advantages.

As for the rate of attack for melee, when I looked into the character entity, there wasn’t anything directly listed for it, so my assumption is that it uses the mining speed of 0.5, seems everything else related to the character uses that. That’s 120 in 60, so 125 could be a margin of error? (Otherwise that’s a value of 0.48.)

All of this said, melee with fish vs running with a pistol I feel is pretty subjective. That may even have been the dev’s intentions from the start…. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

GreenTeaKinase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GreenTeaKinase »

A lot of this (obviously) weighs on experience and playstyle, which is probably why I have some of these opinions: I've restarted so many times before getting far into a run because I found something I could improve on my factory, and would rather to restart than rebuild. But in regards to some items...wooden chests are pretty good under normal circumstances; always a cheap option for storage. I find them particularly useful when steel chests are in shortage when you need to build a train depot (though this has not been a problem in my more recent playthroughs).

I'll defend burner inserters as well: I just like to have that one section of my factory not as dependent on the power network, which is handy in the event of an electricity death spiral, which I don't often experience on account of my own trend of restarting early into the run. I've only ever experienced it when I switch power generation from coal-fired boilers to solid fuel-fired boilers (is that a good idea?). At least, that's my rationale for keeping them around.

And finally...lamps. I think it's purely a cosmetic touch, one that I like, so I use them.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

GreenTeaKinase wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:10 am
And finally...lamps. I think it's purely a cosmetic touch, one that I like, so I use them.
I like them, too, but I'm often too lazy to automate and place.
Brings me to some silly ideas, that gives lamps an additional advantage:
Lamps could slow down biters slightly...
Or lamps increase defense of buildings, when in range

spacedog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spacedog »

Night vision goggles.

Completely pointless ever since the update where they made night barely any darker than day, so the game would look good on youtube. :x

They should have just removed them from the game as part of that update.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

spacedog wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:57 am
Night vision goggles.

Completely pointless ever since the update where they made night barely any darker than day, so the game would look good on youtube. :x

They should have just removed them from the game as part of that update.
Honestly, I'm glad, that night is not so dark. Still the nightvision brightens in up a good bunch. It should be a small module 1x2 or even 1x1, though
If you turn down brightness in graphics settings, or make the monitor darker you might have better results.

You could also try this:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/light-overhaul
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/dark-nights
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NightBrightness

Personally, I like this approach:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/inbuilt_lighting
No lights and night vision needed, because most areas are automatically lighted. Looks also nice at night.
But I play seablock without constant biter threat and it makes not much difference. In a regular run, I wouldn't use it.

Return to “General discussion”