Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.
netmand wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 pm
ah so, then since it cannot be filled by the engineer (via shift-click) then wouldn't that be a bug? If we all don't want to classify this so severely, At least it supports the intention of the topic.
Yeah, I missed the place where someone mentioned that you could manually drag & drop into it. I don't think I honestly knew that you could (or I forgot).

As such, I think this should be less of an idea & suggestion, and more of a bug report? Let the devs sort it out from there which way... is the tooltip & filling by hand a bug, or the fact that you can't fill via ctrl/shift+click a bug?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I don't think there's any bug here. The tooltip is literally exact : "it prevent machines from filling the chest".

It is not saying that it is forcing the engineer to use another method that the classic hotkey to fill it, like dragging things stack by stack. It omit to mentions the fact but what is mentionned isn't "wrong" it's just incomplete in a way :).

It would be a nice idea/additions (imo), to have a hotkey to skip the dragging things stack by stack.

But not to remove the way the limit functions as you can take advantage of it for fast and precise manual refilling in early game.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:51 pm
It omit to mentions the fact [...] it's just incomplete in a way :).
Yes, so that's a bug. I really don't care which way the devs want to go about it now knowing that you already can manually drag & drop, but either the tooltip and the ability of the player to fill these is a bug, or the omission of allowing ctrl/shift+click is. Or maybe it's as intended (for some reason), but without anything from the devs, I'm more likely to believe that the omission of allowing ctrl/shift+click is a bug (or oversight, if you will, but that's still a bug).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:47 pm
Or maybe it's as intended (for some reason), but without anything from the devs,
I understand your point of view of willing to ask the question in bug as it would allow to know if it IS or NOT by design.

Which could then help the suggestion of adding a new hotkey to allow a different behavior if that was by design ( my prefered outcome), or just not even need the suggestion if it was an oversight.( not prefered outcome as I would miss the ancient behavior).

I had never really read/memorized the tooltip

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

netmand wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.
ah so, then since it cannot be filled by the engineer (via shift-click) then wouldn't that be a bug? If we all don't want to classify this so severely, At least it supports the intention of the topic.
Kind of. But that behavior is actually a nice feature. The suggestion above would allow keeping that but also allow filling chests past the restriction if desired. Best of both worlds.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Don't get me wrong, I also wish I could Ctrl-Click my trash into the reduced slots, but I don't expect the devs to add the feature, as they usually don't invest too much time polishing the manual interactions part of the game, to focus on the automation part.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think that also. And in neither case it is a bug, because the tooltip says what to await from machine interaction, but nothing about character interaction. Could be any behavior and is in the current state just an awaited behavior.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Just bumping this up, since it is possibly the most important QoL feature that game is still missing.

I was even thinking today if it would be possible to override the behavior with a mod?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by ssilk »

I repeat: it looks useful, but might never be implemented, because players should use automation instead of manual interaction. See 2 posts above.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by Zaflis »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:19 am
I repeat: it looks useful, but might never be implemented, because players should use automation instead of manual interaction. See 2 posts above.
You can't avoid that at all with malls, modded playthroughs and buffer chests.
And those things are not something that people will stop using even if it was not recommended practise.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe it sounds so. But I never said I’m against this. Just telling my experience.

vangrunz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vangrunz »

This is definitively a bug, from my point of view.

Why?

Several reasons:

1.: The restriction tooltip speaks from "machines" only, which means that there're no restrictions for players.

2.: In "Settings" -> "Controls" -> Section "Inventory", option "Inventory transfer", the tooltip says: "Transfers all of the selected stack type to the other inventory. [...]" -> no word about a restriction where you can not use this option, so it's not intuitive.

3.: Yes, we can wire chests & inserters, reading the amount that is in a chest. This wiring is usually bound to a single type of resource, while blocking inventory slots for a machine prevents anything to be put in there by any inserter. Blocking slots is way faster than wiring & setting up conditions.

4.: Yes, we can place a second chest, merge the initial chest & the second chest together via inserters which end both on a transport belt, and then tell the first inserter only to be allowed active if the second chest is empty.

5.: Yes, we can use the trash slots if you have sufficient tech level & buildings/robots. They bring the stuff to the chests with the matching or no filter, taking care that the parts flow back into the whole system.

Points 3-5 makes the "machine blocking slots" completely superfluous. Is that art or garbage?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”