Which LuaGuiElement is in front?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Which LuaGuiElement is in front?

Post by Pi-C »

My mod has 2 GUIs on player.gui.screen. When I turn them on, I will use LuaGuiElement.bring_to_front() to make sure they are visible. One of them ("Available characters") can become quite small, as you can see in this screenshot:
overlay-guis.png
overlay-guis.png (2.79 MiB) Viewed 580 times
In this case the small GUI is on top, so it is visible. But if the bigger GUI gets the focus, the small one will be completely hidden. The button flow at the top left of the screen contains the buttons that toggle GUI visibility. Now, if the small GUI is hidden by something else, clicking the "Available characters" button will (apparently!) do nothing: The GUI already is visible, so using the button will make it invisible, and only on the next click will it be visible (and in the foreground) again.

Is there any way to find out whether a particular GUI element is hidden, or at least if it is on top? If so, I could check whether my GUI is visible but possibly hidden and bring it to the front instead of turning it off when the toggle button is used.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

yaim904
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Which LuaGuiElement is in front?

Post by yaim904 »

I would like to help you, but I don't think I understand what the problem is.

If what you want is to prevent the windows from overlapping, place it to one side of the main one

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_player_created, function(event)
    local player = game.get_player(event.player_index)
    local anchor = {gui=defines.relative_gui_type.controller_gui, position=defines.relative_gui_position.top}
    local frame = player.gui.relative.add{type="frame", anchor=anchor}
    frame.add{type="label", caption=player.name}
end)

While you don't need the window, hide it with the "element.style.visible = false" property or destroy it.
Solo entiendo español, pero si tu también lo entiendes, escríbeme
:D
Everything i write in English is translated by google.
:D

Return to “Modding help”