RANDOM / unpredictable output of Factories

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
markzl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

RANDOM / unpredictable output of Factories

Post by markzl »

TL:DR - PLEASE introduce randomness to burst the bubble of 'JUST-COPY-THIS-Youtube-video'

I ABSOLUTELY -+= L O V E D =+- this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was loooooooong ago but it was for a loooooooooooong time - I even learnt/learned about how mods work because of this game (mods.factorio.com/mod/burner-lamp).

... but then I watched Youtube HowTo videos . .. . ... . [<-my tears]; There seems to be a formula of input 'X' = output 'Y', so:

- you MUST, at the very least, make this amount of 'X' factories to your 'Y' factories for your 'Z' factories in order to get 'the-most-mathematically-feasible-efficient-output';

- you also MUST (in order to get/be the most mathematically efficient &/or productive) 'reserve-this-space-for-future-factories-since-it's-the-ONLY-efficient-use-of-space' too !!

I can't remember where I got this idea (OH! I remembered later on in this post; it was OpenTTD & the 'YOUTUBE AUTO LIKE' browser extension/addon) but I'd LOVE randomness introduced to the game as an option because of:

- 'LOWER / HIGHER output' due to the everyday low/high efficiency of any/every machine (any old/new machines fail for random reasons);
- 'LOWER / HIGHER output' due to staff shortages/experience;
- 'LOWER / HIGHER output due to climatic temperatures/humidity/etc;
- 'LOWER / HIGHER output due to poor maintenance/no replacement parts available;
- 'LOWER / HIGHER output due to budget restrictions (so can not: hire more workers / maintenance staff / pay utility bills);
- 'LOWER / HIGHER output due to inability to buy new stock/capital (ie. ATARI; could've been bigger than Apple! goto the 'Something Ventured' doco);

OpenTTD & 'YOUTUBE AUTO LIKE' browser extension/addon both give multiple/custom choices to introduce a randomness into their field - i hop Factorio can see the potential of this idea.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: RANDOM / unpredictable output of Factories

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I’d rather this be mod territory, not the base game.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:34 pm
Exactly the reason I move this now to modding requests.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

markzl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[SOLVED] random &/or unpredictable output of Factories

Post by markzl »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:34 pm
I thought the same too so i posted this idea there too - & you're right, Factorio is one of those games where a group/majority/minority should not impose finalities of subjective/objective ideas.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

If you're looking for a more random playthrough you could try Vill's Recipe Randomizer :)

You can read about how it works here: https://alt-f4.blog/ALTF4-33/
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”