Friday Facts #369 - To the moon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
GigglingNerd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #369 - To the moon

Post by GigglingNerd »

You got me good. Had the alarm bells going off in my head for a full minute.

boolybooly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by boolybooly »

Doh! Glad it was a "joke" / nightmare !

Not like wube to be helping oligarchs with their laundry.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

I enjoyed this April fools day post ! and as someone who was absent from the forums and the game for a long time - I'm happy I checked it :)
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Toll wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Also love that blueprint wallet string :mrgreen:
What's special about the wallet string :?:

My mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- and steam !

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

jockeril wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:48 pm
Put it in a hex-to-UTF8 converter like this one:

https://onlinehextools.com/convert-hex-to-utf8

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:01 pm

Thanks ! (wobe - nice one...)

My mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- and steam !

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:01 pm

Can you post the result (maybe in a spoiler)? Trying to do that from a phone is going to be more effort than it’s worth….
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

I fell for it - hook, line and sinker. :roll: And thanks to whoever pointed out to type in the walletcode in an ASCII editor and see the ASCII codes... :D

The reference to the earlier "Paid more for the power than the game"... I just worked out that for my laptop the crossover is around 1800 hours. (I've played 1500). But normally my laptop is hooked up to my larger screen, which puts the breakpoint at around 350 hours.
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

peca_
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by peca_ »

Too obvious. I almost didn't want to click on the last link. That's exactly the video I was expecting . Nice try, maybe next time :-)

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

That was hilarious. I wasn't taken in for a moment, but it was funny all the same.

I actually need to write my article on NFTs and scams. NFTs of game content land very squarely in the scam territory.

Note, that I don't think all NFTs are inherently scams, but you aren't really buying what you might think you're buying when you buy them.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Omnifarious wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:57 am
I actually need to write my article on NFTs and scams. NFTs of game content land very squarely in the scam territory.

Note, that I don't think all NFTs are inherently scams, but you aren't really buying what you might think you're buying when you buy them.
No, just because it's connected to game content doesn't mean it's a scam. It's feasible to do it in a non-exploitable way, in a game designed with this in mind. But it's going to be a very bad fit for almost all current games regardless of how it is implemented and can be implemented without NFTs anyways. Almost all games don't benefit from permanently locking players out of owning things. But games like cryptokitties (which basically has no gameplay except minting and trading and mixing NFTs) do exist. Maybe a game with "proper" gameplay is also possible to make that builds on the same principle. Like some kind of Pokemon game mixed with cryptokitties. Or land areas inside a MMORPGish world could be sold as NFTs (this could of course be implemented in a very bad way, assume best intentions and exceptional design that at least doesn't hurt the game).

You don't have to take payment from players to hand out NFTs, free NFTs "can't" be a scam (in the ways some NFTs are used for actual scams, and don't argue that free stuff can be a scam because then we aren't on the topic any more).

And you can inform players properly in order to sell NFTs fairly.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Note, that I don't think all NFTs are inherently scams...
I do.

At best, they're a new place for rich people to park money, similar to how fine art functions. I suppose the advantage of NFTs is that they're more reasonably priced than fine art, allowing ordinary people to pretend to be rich. The trade-off is that unlike fine art, they have absolutely no inherent value.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

Good one :D
Though I actually do like the idea of having to earn blueprint library slots. Is there a mod for that?

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Qon wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:04 am

No, just because it's connected to game content doesn't mean it's a scam. It's feasible to do it in a non-exploitable way, in a game designed with this in mind.
So... I can sort of agree with this, but not really.

The problem with game content NFTs is that in order for the NFT to be truly 'owned' by someone, the game content must be usable by anybody at any time, even if the game company folds, even if they're offline, even if the hardware the game was originally written for becomes so obsolete it's essentially impossible to find. This essentially means that the game has to be Open Source.

I'm OK with NFTs of images because the standards for the formats those images are in are well documented and capable of being rendered by a wide range of Free Software, as well as gratis software.

Otherwise, there is no practical difference between you owning an outfit in DOTA and owning an NFT for an outfit in some game that uses them. Your 'ownership' is wholly dependent on Valve's continued existence and willingness to honor your claim. This indicates that the game talking about using an 'NFT' (which is basically an entry in a very expensive to update distributed database) is only for hype, and is basically meaningless.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:24 pm
So... I can sort of agree with this, but not really.

The problem with game content NFTs is that in order for the NFT to be truly 'owned' by someone, the game content must be usable by anybody at any time, even if the game company folds, even if they're offline, even if the hardware the game was originally written for becomes so obsolete it's essentially impossible to find. This essentially means that the game has to be Open Source.

I'm OK with NFTs of images because the standards for the formats those images are in are well documented and capable of being rendered by a wide range of Free Software, as well as gratis software.
If the game is written in HTML + JavaScript, as a webpage (without needing server infrastructure to run, possible if the blockchain is the backbone of the game) then you get open source and eternal life of your NFTs, as long as the blockchain is kept alive like any other NFT.

Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Danjen »

You joke, but ever since learning more about higher finances, I thought it would really comfy to have a mod where the goal was to generate the most profit; you'd lease or buy chunks of the map, and could only build on those chunks. Then, you'd make money either by exporting raw materials (low amounts but easy), intermediates, or finished goods. There could also be production contracts and changing market prices so it's not like you could just export thousands of iron ore for a quick buck

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Hey, April fools day is over. You don't need to joke around any more.

alirezasaraei
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alirezasaraei »

Well played. Very well played. You kept it just far enough on the side of believability to really, really, work

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This is great news !

I was sad when bitcoin support was removed from Factorio in 0.17...
bitcoin_in_factorio.png
bitcoin_in_factorio.png (753.2 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Back then, we had to work hard to dig rocks, hoping for a bitcoin to randomly drop from a biter hiding there !
bitcoin_realtime_hyena_world.png
bitcoin_realtime_hyena_world.png (73.12 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
It's nice to have crypto back in the game !
factorio_wiki_hyeana_world.png
factorio_wiki_hyeana_world.png (713.04 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

----

Finally, in other news :

Factorio: Early Look At 1.2!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kry8lbrHjeY

P.S.: This one could have worked too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDkMlnx39Jo
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

I didn't read until May so I didn't even think to check the date on the post. Only realized it was a joke when I clicked the shortlink at the end and recognized the destination URL (I never click through bit.ly links for this and many other reasons. I saw YouTube and got suspicious, then I saw the first 4 characters of the video ID)

well played
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Return to β€œNews”