Mod Request: Galaxy Railways

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod Request: Galaxy Railways

Post by Saphira123456 »

Take the planetary steam trains and add a new track piece called a "launch" (a ramp that goes up out of frame) that allows the trains to leave a planet, anime-style, and travel on a journey to the stars! (See attached YouTube links for context)

https://youtu.be/XLfL8fLl0-s
https://youtu.be/NqiaJjzYAyE

Should be compatible with the Space Exploration mod.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod Request: Galaxy Railways

Post by robot256 »

Interplanetary trains are on the official road map for Space Exploration itself! No word on when they will be released though.

Roadmap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vqKD ... LGQLSSkW5I

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

robot256 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:09 am
Interplanetary trains are on the official road map for Space Exploration itself! No word on when they will be released though.

Roadmap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vqKD ... LGQLSSkW5I
So what you're saying is, the plan is to have an elevator teleport trains to space.
The space elevator concept is cool, but it's not as cool as a track ramp. Again, see the videos I linked to for context.

Here's another, it'll take you right to the timestamp where my idea is conceptualized.
https://youtu.be/17O27PSDy7I?t=293

In fact if the elevator does go in as planned, I'd consider it a perversion. As it stands it's an unauthorized, altered and uncredited use of my suggestion, and that is unacceptable. Therefore, if the author pursues this version of my concept I will cease using the mod in addition to pursuing legal action against its' creator.

You can't just steal people's ideas, change them, then use them in your stuff and expect to get credit.
I am dragonkin and proud of it. If you don't like furries or dragons, tough.

Blocking me will only prove me right.

I love trains, I love aircraft, I love space, I love Factorio.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

I really hope you're joking... It's April 2nd now where I live. That looks like an entertaining anime, I'll have to watch it.

The space elevator has been on the roadmap since long before your forum post in July 2021 (and was probably already in development at the time). It is very clearly inspired by more than a century of popular science fiction, and has nothing to do with Santa Claus-like flying steam engines.

The idea of interplanetary "laser rails" may or may not have been inspired by Leiji Matsumoto's anime production, but definitely predated your forum post as well. No offense, but unless you own the rights to the show I fail to see how the idea of recreating it in Factorio should be uniquely attributed to you. I would be more concerned that you were copying Kiplacon's train ramps from Renai Transportation.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

robot256 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:50 am
I really hope you're joking... It's April 2nd now where I live. That looks like an entertaining anime, I'll have to watch it.

The space elevator has been on the roadmap since long before your forum post in July 2021 (and was probably already in development at the time). It is very clearly inspired by more than a century of popular science fiction, and has nothing to do with Santa Claus-like flying steam engines.

The idea of interplanetary "laser rails" may or may not have been inspired by Leiji Matsumoto's anime production, but definitely predated your forum post as well. No offense, but unless you own the rights to the show I fail to see how the idea of recreating it in Factorio should be uniquely attributed to you. I would be more concerned that you were copying Kiplacon's train ramps from Renai Transportation.
I am not joking.

Furthermore, this was actually my second request to ask for a launch ramp. My first one was way back in the days of Early Access, around 2016 or so. My original post predates the roadmap by a few years.

For clarity however, I must add that the space elevator concept is a good idea. I'd be fine with that if it were just being used to transport standard vehicles, people and goods, etcetera, to starships at an orbital base. The fact that it is used to transport trains instead of a launch ramp, that's what I'd consider the perversion. (Because it's the same concept as my idea, but different visuals and different execution.)

Also technically it's two anime and a manga: Galaxy Express Three-Nine is the anime and manga, but there is also the eponymous Galaxy Railways, which is a spinoff of GE999. Additionally, it's not just steam engines that fly in GR, but diesels too. The Flame Swallow (red and white train that you can see if you rewind the video and play it from the beginning) is clearly not a steam engine. In fact it has more in common with a streamlined diesel. Additionally, some of the trains are based on electrified locomotives and trainsets such as the high speed bullet trains of Matsumoto's native Japan. And it's not just passenger trains that gets this treatment, there are also freight trains, switchers, orbital stations and yards, and everything else that comes with a planetary railway network. This one just happens to primarily exist in space.

Additionally, Factorio is uniquely qualified for this concept since the trains in Galaxy Railways are armed with both energy-based artillery and independent aerospace fighters, something you don't see any other place other than Factorio. They're basically space battleships on tracks. (Also technically the trains in Galaxy Express Three-Nine are armed too, but not all the time, and no aerospace fighters. They do however, utilize the same artillery car as in Galaxy Railways sometimes.)

So while I do not own the rights to the show, I was the first to recognize that this game is uniquely qualified to recreate it, to the letter. I also recognized this before this particular item was on the roadmap. The idea should therefore be attributed to me and me alone. "My way, or the highway."

On an off-topic note, if you're interested in the anime in question, I highly recommend watching both of them. Both Three-Nine and the first season of GR had english-language dubs, both being distributed by Funimation. However neither the second season of GR (AKA Eternal Divergence) nor the various GR and GE3-9 OVAs have dubs. There are SIGNIFICANT changes that occur between Season 1 and Season 2, so you need to get used to the idea of subtitles.

Also, some advice? Both Three-Nine and GR have a HEAVILY emotional start to them. NEITHER are for the faint of heart - they're uncensored and people do die, right in front of you. But if you can successfully get into them, both Three-Nine and GR become as potent and message-driven as something like Star Trek. Honestly? I'm surprised they don't have a much bigger following.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Saphira123456 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:09 am
I am not joking.
"Not" is spelled "", you accidentally added a few letters. Good joke though.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Qon wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:36 am
Saphira123456 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:09 am
I am not joking.
"Not" is spelled "", you accidentally added a few letters. Good joke though.

"Not" is spelled "N-O-T". Please do not treat me like I'm "S-T-U-P-I-D".

I wasn't joking, at all. I've reported your post because of how you treated me in it.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

For those inclined to argue, a simpler method is:
  • Click the individual's name.
  • Click Add foe.
And the forum is fixed! :D

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

This wild ride definately has teleported my sides into orbit.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:15 pm
This wild ride definately has teleported my sides into orbit.
If you think I'm joking you're dead wrong.

Also, your signature? Means your opinion is discarded - some of my best friends are MLP fans or furries.

Your signature is offensive. I'm reporting it.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”