Friday Facts #369 - To the moon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #369 - To the moon

Post by FactorioBot »

Sicarus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #369 - To the moon

Post by Sicarus »

Very funny.... You had me going in the first half, I'm not gonna lie...... :mrgreen:

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

First, I was worried, but then I saw that I want the "Epic furnaces"! Now and forever!
Except from that, I propose to convert Steam Factorio playtime into Factorio Blueprint Tokens to get things rolling. This is what I would call "rolling stock".

Danlar_Scott
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Danlar_Scott »

I'll buy all your NFTs for 1 copper... deal? Kappa

pd; Happy April fools day!

tuhe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tuhe »

Finally it is happening!

But may I suggest one thing: It is not fair (fun) for players to mint Factorio Blueprint Tokens using space science, because it will unfairly disadvantage those without megabases and de-value the FBT currency. I, therefore, propose that the play-to-earn system is based on mining stone, iron and other minerals manually using the pickaxe. This makes the game much more fun since:
  • Those who want to play-to-earn can earn FBT by just mining iron for perhaps 8 hours, giving a clear sense of accomplishment as every minute earns them real hard currency
  • It will still reward progression in the game since you can research a better pickaxe
  • Since some may not like the gameplay aspect, it will ensure there is an active secondary market for FBTs thereby increasing the monetary and speculative value of FBTs
Obviously, the system needs to be combined with a fairly frequent captcha prompts to avoid mining bots. I think a google captcha every 5 minutes would be reasonable.

CC007
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CC007 »

You know what? With tuhe's suggestion, I wouldn't mind this existing as a mod. Just keep that shit out of my base game xD

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I'm really pleased to know that i will be able to protect my blueprints against those people that wants to copy my designs.

I am no expert but i foresee however some potential difficulties that may arise when attempting to share a design.

Let say i want to share my blueprint with someone, but i don't want this person to share the blueprint anymore ( otherwise i wouldn't receive all due glory ), i think there should be a system where the blueprint self-destroyed after a certain number of utilisation specified during the creation, potentially with a message indicating the wallet number of the original creator so that i could receive some ranking points and be allowed to create more blueprints based on the number of people who tried to overuse some designs that doesn't belong to them but to me.

This is an alternative method to limit the number of useless blueprint, because otherwise it's a waste of ressource and i'm an ecologist.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sicarus wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:33 pm
Very funny.... You had me going in the first half, I'm not gonna lie...... :mrgreen:
Ha, same! Once I started reading about the crypto currency, what today was dawned on me.

Well played, devs. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Tokk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tokk »

For a moment, I was very excited when I saw a new blog post from the Factorio team titled "To the Moon."
Then came the NFT disillusionment and finally the thought of an April Fool's joke. What a roller coaster of emotions

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Happy to see that you are listening to the marketing gurus, all it needs is a (dead) foreign prince :lol:
Well done Wube, well done indeed :D
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

Ok, nice work, you got me really hard... until finally I realized that I got rickrolled :D
Shit happens, don't worry, keep happy

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:48 pm
i think there should be a system where the blueprint self-destroyed after a certain number of utilisation specified during the creation
This reminds me that people stop playing and their blueprints are lost for the whole community. For this case I propose this solution:
Every day someone doesn't login and doesn't use a blueprint, a random item from his blueprints gets deleted. If a blueprint gets empty, the blueprint gets removed, thus be available for public use again.
He can buy back deleted items, but only items deleted in the last 7 days, and it's random what items he will get back.

rojcowles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rojcowles »

Same, started as a WTF as I started reading and then noticed the value of the Token Balance ... :)

roidal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by roidal »

Sicarus wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:33 pm
Here the same! :D

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You should be able to just buy tokens with real money. Thus players don't have to bother playing the game and Wube can make some easy money.

tuhe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tuhe »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:48 pm
I'm really pleased to know that i will be able to protect my blueprints against those people that wants to copy my designs.

I am no expert but i foresee however some potential difficulties that may arise when attempting to share a design.
What are you, a communist? Sharing a design is fundamentally at odds with the play-to-earn model, as the ability for people to share means effectively that people can mint copies of blueprints without the fun of hand-crafting 20'000 copper coils or what the specific implementation becomes, thereby reducing the EARN aspect of the play-to-earn model which, as we know, is the best part.

The true way to implement 'sharing' is using an algorithmic contract where a person buys an item and is then obliged to sell it back. Since it happens on the blockchain the method requires 'gas', i.e. a certain fraction of a BTC, to perform the transaction. In other words, if I want to share my design of green chips with you, the way to do it is you cut down 500 trees manually to create a fraction of a BTC, and then you can rent it for perhaps 5 uses (or alternatively, just pay $10USD to buy the same fraction of a BTC).

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

can't wait to start earning crypto by playing the game!

VibrantVector
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VibrantVector »

Tertius wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:37 pm
First, I was worried, but then I saw that I want the "Epic furnaces"! Now and forever!
Except from that, I propose to convert Steam Factorio playtime into Factorio Blueprint Tokens to get things rolling. This is what I would call "rolling stock".
I believe that the term that you are looking for is call "Rick Rolling stock."

Beamup
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beamup »

Well played. Very well played. You kept it just far enough on the side of believability to really, really, work.

Heinroch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Heinroch »

God damn I was ready to roast you so hard but then I realized that it is April 1st.

Return to β€œNews”