[1.1.56] Windowed mode, clicking close will not prompt to save

Bugs that are actually features.
shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.56] Windowed mode, clicking close will not prompt to save

Post by shopt »

When playing in windowed mode on Windows (didn't test on linux, but I would guess it likely applies there too), clicking the close button in the top right will immediately close the game with no confirmation, discarding all progress since the last save. I've done this a couple of times by accident when trying to close the train/station list. This is inconsistent with the behaviour when trying to close the game via the main menu, which will ask for confirmation if there hasn't been a recent save.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.56] Windowed mode, clicking close will not prompt to save

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that is intended. There are a few ways you can avoid doing this; use one of the 3 keyboard shortcut to close the GUI (escape, E, or T) and or run the game in fullscreen so there is no visible exit button.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm
Thanks for the report however that is intended.
For what reason? Schadenfreude?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:02 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm
Thanks for the report however that is intended.
For what reason? Schadenfreude?
The same reason we don't highjack alt + F4: it's a signal from the user that they want the program closed *right now*. There are many ways to not mistakenly press the button however if as a user you bypass all of those that's on you. There's always the chance one of the other programmers decides it's something we should change and starts an internal discussion about it resulting in it changing but as of now this is how it works.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I have a Autohotkey script running that catches and disables ALT-F4 for Factorio (as well as for other games that don't catch it), so there is a workaround, but clicking the top right corner isn't catchable unfortunately. I would be glad if it was. I have to use windowed mode, so the close button is visible, because on my 32:9 widescreen monitor fullscreen is too wide - the scaling to 200 tiles maximum radius makes the vertical distance for that monitor on fullscreen so low I don't see more than 55 tiles to the top or to the bottom, and that's too low to engage in combat.

I would prefer click on close button and ALT-F4 initiate the "show main menu" action. It's the same as with any other app that has unsaved work open: give the user the option to save the document before closing the app: unsaved work open - do you want to save? yes, no, cancel.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hmm, I would agree with others here that clicking the X close button should prompt for save. Most standard applications are like this.

However, I also agree with the devs that Alt+F4 should not do this. Also as with most standard apps, this is a force close/do not prompt action. (Edit: Ok, I guess this behavior changed at some point? I could've sworn that Alt+F4 on most standard apps did not prompt. Either way, I'd rather the devs leave at least 1 method of "close now without prompting", and Alt+F4 seems like the best one to fit that bill. And just to further clarify... I personally think that the clicking of X close should prompt save (yes/no/cancel), but not bring you to the main menu. This would be a fast exit method. Alt+F4 should bypass even this.)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

AFAIK there is no logical difference between ALT-F4 and the close button on windows, it's all a close message for the application. Although I agree that it should prompt to save in any case. Other programs behave like that as well, and it's useful to not lose progress. There is no real drawback to asking, IMO.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:54 pm
[Immediate exit on clicking close is intended for] The same reason we don't highjack alt + F4: it's a signal from the user that they want the program closed *right now*.
Thanks for the reply. I think it is valuable to have an explanation for "Not a bug" because in a users' eyes, unexpected behaviour is a bug regardless of whether that behaviour is intended or not.

FWIW I disagree with the rationale - I would say it is only the intent of some people, some of the time - and because of that is far outweighed by the UX cost when it is not the intent (either accidental or just unexpected).
There's always the chance one of the other programmers decides it's something we should change and starts an internal discussion about it resulting in it changing but as of now this is how it works.
The problem seems clear, so perhaps Minor issues is more appropriate?

Return to “Not a bug”