[1.1.53] Links not opening/opening incorrectly on Linux in Steam version

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
JohnTheCF
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.53] Links not opening/opening incorrectly on Linux in Steam version

Post by JohnTheCF »

When opening links from Prototype Explorer or any other link, it takes a lot of time until it is open in browser. By "very long" I mean a minute or two. Opening exact same link from command-line using xdg-open is instant. This problem can be worked around by choosing Steam Linux Runtime as a compatibility tool in Steam, but it has its own problems.

OS is Arch Linux, game version 1.1.53, build 59373. Steam installed from official Arch Linux repos. Using vivaldi desktop file provided with vivaldi package from official arch repos.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by JohnTheCF on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.53] Links not opening/opening incorrectly on Linux in Steam version

Post by quyxkh »

Looks like that's Chrome's problem, it happens for me too, but strace says Factorio's issuing exactly the same xdg-open command in both steam and native installs; and switching to firefox with

Code: Select all

xdg-settings set default-web-browser firefox.desktop
xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler http firefox.desktop
xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler https firefox.desktop
made everything work. Turning off the steam overlay didn't help, shutting down my existing browser before starting steam didn't help, looks like there's something about the steam environment that chrome does not deal well with.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

i've had the same issue for a while now. i can't remember when it started, but i used to be able to access the mod pages in the portal via the links in game.

i tried setting mine to MS Edge (lol), Firefox, Chrome, and Vivaldi, as well as pointing it to the binaries of each. no dice.

MS Edge icon spins, does not appear.

Firefox actually does the most out of all three, it crashes instead of starting up.

Chrome does nothing.

Vivaldi does nothing, unless I point it to the binary manually. then the icon spins, and nothing happens..

I should note that xdg-open works in any of these configurations, it's only in the Factorio game that it does not. additionally, I run the standalone version of the game. I have tried it in Steam just now, and it doesn't work there, either. it's compounded in annoyance because you can't hilight or right-click the link to copy them, as the usual expectation would suggest.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

JohnTheCF wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:09 pm
When opening links from Prototype Explorer or any other link, it takes a lot of time until it is open in browser. By "very long" I mean a minute or two. Opening exact same link from command-line using xdg-open is instant. This problem can be worked around by choosing Steam Linux Runtime as a compatibility tool in Steam, but it has its own problems.

OS is Arch Linux, game version 1.1.53, build 59373. Steam installed from official Arch Linux repos. Using vivaldi desktop file provided with vivaldi package from official arch repos.
Sounds like a Steam issue to me. If I run Steam from a terminal and try to open a link, it periodically prints “IPC error: LockMgrMutex failed to acquire SysMgrMutex” for rougly a minute until it finally opens the link.

It also seems that the issue doesn't exist if you opt into Steam beta – Steam → Settings → Account → Beta Participation → Change → Steam Beta Update. If that works for you, then I think it's safe to say the issue is firmly on the Steam end of things and will (hopefully) be fixed when the current beta exits beta.
ptx0 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:33 pm
i've had the same issue for a while now. i can't remember when it started, but i used to be able to access the mod pages in the portal via the links in game.

i tried setting mine to MS Edge (lol), Firefox, Chrome, and Vivaldi, as well as pointing it to the binaries of each. no dice.

MS Edge icon spins, does not appear.

Firefox actually does the most out of all three, it crashes instead of starting up.

Chrome does nothing.

Vivaldi does nothing, unless I point it to the binary manually. then the icon spins, and nothing happens..

I should note that xdg-open works in any of these configurations, it's only in the Factorio game that it does not. additionally, I run the standalone version of the game. I have tried it in Steam just now, and it doesn't work there, either. it's compounded in annoyance because you can't hilight or right-click the link to copy them, as the usual expectation would suggest.
If your links don't open at all, even after waiting for a few minutes, then that sounds like a separate issue. Factorio uses xdg-open to open links, so it's a bit weird that plain xdg-open would work but Factorio wouldn't. Can you post your log file and tell me how you launch Factorio? Do you just launch the binary or do you do something special, like running it under a separate user, in a chroot or anything of that sort?

JohnTheCF
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JohnTheCF »

I have been using Steam Beta for a long time and it doesn't solve the issue for me.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Okay, I think I worked it out. Steam uses LD_PRELOAD to inject gameoverlayrenderer.so into games, but apparently injecting that .so into xdg-open makes it take forever. So the “fix” – or rather a workaround – is to unsetenv("LD_PRELOAD") before exec'ing xdg-open. That seems to fix it on my machine.

So hopefully fixed for 1.1.57, thanks.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Oxyd wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:45 pm
Okay, I think I worked it out. Steam uses LD_PRELOAD to inject gameoverlayrenderer.so into games, but apparently injecting that .so into xdg-open makes it take forever. So the “fix” – or rather a workaround – is to unsetenv("LD_PRELOAD") before exec'ing xdg-open. That seems to fix it on my machine.

uh oh, i'm using LD_PRELOAD for memalloc 🤔

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 pm
Oxyd wrote:

Do you need to preload memalloc into /usr/bin/xdg-open? 🤔

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Oxyd wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:49 am
ptx0 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 pm
Oxyd wrote:

Do you need to preload memalloc into /usr/bin/xdg-open? 🤔
hmm, i don't think so. i guess i understand now, that it's unsetting it before exec.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”