Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MrChoke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by MrChoke »

Just wondering if anybody has heard if there are still plans for an expansion for Factorio. It's been a very long time since a Blog post form the DEVs.

[Edit from Koub] This will be the single thread in which each and every hype/anticipation/prayers to the devs will be merged. Merged all the dedicated threads I could find on the subject.
Last edited by Koub on Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to make this post the seed for the (first ?) expansion's single hype train thread

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by Genhis »

Yes, we are actively working on the expansion. I can't tell you more right now.

Eternal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eternal »

glad to hear it...

after all these years of full transparency and dedication to your community... now u leave us in dark for more than 1 year... dont be mad at your last interested players for just asking a hint u know... :|

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

That's one way to see. I'd rather be kept in the dark for another year or two building up my expectations for good quality than getting constantly spammed with meaningless updates pushed every week in the sole purpoose of maintaining a certain level of noise around the game in social media !

Another thing i have in mind is that the expansion/update/sequel this thing, it may be bringing some new mechanics. When exploring new things you go to directions that seem promising, but end up not being choosen in the end. One must be careful that it doesn't look like a broken promise. Maybe it's more prudent to keep things relatively hidden until you are ready to deliver what people expect. ( or even better ! remember spidertron ?! )

The quality of the game has improved a lot over the many years of development. Getting the same level of quality at release date for an expansion is a very difficult challenge, hopefully the team has expanded so they can get more work done but it's also required since every single piece you want to add to the game now needs to be on par with a very high standard. It could be "dangerous" to show pictures of "what's to come" before you are 100% sure you can provide quality.

Genhis said he couldn't tell more at the moment, that sound pretty mysterious, maybe it's a signal, does it mean factorio 2 ? ah my curiosity is waking up, why are they hiding things like that ? it's been a year already !? how come we didn't get a blog post from the DEVs ? ... oh wait, i see your point too now :)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

mmmPI wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:53 pm
Genhis said he couldn't tell more at the moment, that sound pretty mysterious, maybe it's a signal, does it mean factorio 2 ? ah my curiosity is waking up, why are they hiding things like that ? it's been a year already !? how come we didn't get a blog post from the DEVs ? ... oh wait, i see your point too now :)
The secret to this is that is has only been 4 months since the latest blog post :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Oh you mean this one : https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-366, the one titled "The only way to go fast is to go well" from June this year.

shame on me for not checking before writing, 1 year ! I was lied to ! Or maybe it feel like it's been a year. Yeah it feel like it's been a year already ! that's what i meant, obviously :evil:

otherwise i would need to recognize i said something wrong because i wasn't careful and then my e-reputation will suffer and people will start calling me names

MrChoke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrChoke »

Bilka wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 pm
The secret to this is that is has only been 4 months since the latest blog post :)
The last post I saw on this topic was the one from last June as well:
"Friday Facts #366 - The only way to go fast, is to go well!" 06/18/2021

I did look for newer posts and couldn't find any. But its good you are working on one still.

Thanks.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Genhis wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:56 pm
Yes, we are actively working on the expansion. I can't tell you more right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0gGWRnoFDI

This is how this post feels
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

I apologise if you got this feeling from my post. I just wanted to assure you that we are working hard on the expansion and can't wait to share our progress when it reaches the same level of quality you expect from us. :)

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Genhis wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:02 am
I apologise if you got this feeling from my post. I just wanted to assure you that we are working hard on the expansion and can't wait to share our progress when it reaches the same level of quality you expect from us. :)
This is a positive, great feeling! Thank you very much for lifting our hopes up :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Eternal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eternal »

I have no doubt that Wube will surprise us.

let me analize a bit , 3D factorio will be a fail... satisfactory..., space factorio will be a fail... dyson sphere already did a shallow sparkly one...

so i know Wube wont go there :))

but being transparent is not like someone else will steal your ideas... they already did that ...

posts like the one from june isnt even related to expac :P

im not a hype person, i don't like to see my favorite devs suddenly becoming blizzard style which failed everytime to met ppl expectations... and i think if we had an idea on what the general thoughts are we could feedback it...

anyhow, just a fear that i have .... :D DONT go multiplayer route too much for this expansion :))

Hope to hear from devs soon.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Eternal wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 am
3D factorio will be a fail... satisfactory...
TBH, I feel like if Factorio was taken exactly as is but made 3D (assuming computers could handle it), it would not be a fail. Satisfactory is not the same.
Eternal wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 am
but being transparent is not like someone else will steal your ideas... they already did that ...

posts like the one from june isnt even related to expac :P

im not a hype person, i don't like to see my favorite devs suddenly becoming blizzard style which failed everytime to met ppl expectations... and i think if we had an idea on what the general thoughts are we could feedback it...

anyhow, just a fear that i have .... :D DONT go multiplayer route too much for this expansion :))

Hope to hear from devs soon.
I can't find it right now, but I seem to recall seeing them post somewhere that they didn't want to do weekly (or even monthly) blogs about the new project as they didn't want to get into a situation where they were mentioning wanting/working on certain features, getting people hyped about it, then having to turn around and go "oops, we can't do that, sorry".

-----------------------------------

As for the whole topic of the thread, from FFF-365, they explicitly state that they are going to do the expansion pack route, and that they don't think it's going to take less than a year (in other words, it'll most likely take longer than a year). It's been 8 months.

These are some of the best devs I've seen in communicating. I'm like 99.99% certain that if plans changed and they weren't going to do the expansion, or there were significant delays to orders of magnitude, they'd tell us.

TBH, too, I don't blame them for not wanting to do periodic blog posts about it. I've seen other devs who did for their own projects and as time goes, they started having more and more people posting sounding frustrated with being "teased" with all of these features and starting to demand knowing a release date. And then when they would give a release date, but inevitably miss it, the posts would start getting ruder, making claims about how they're being like xyz devs where they talk something up to get sales and then don't deliver, etc.

I've actually recently seen one dev studio close down/disband because they had enough of the rudeness from people.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Genhis wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ClUHQf5kc&t=70s

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

Genhis wrote:
SO CANT WAIT!

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

When will the new DLC be released?

Post by sdgmlj »

I can wait, but I'm afraid my youth won't allow it!

The official version made me from 30 to nearly 40,

How much youth do I have?

If the new DLC is released, the following things I must do:

1. I will buy it no matter how much it is

2. Whether it's fun or not, I'll buy it. Even if I don't play, I'll buy it

Because I like this game, but I'm afraid my youth won't allow it

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: When will the new DLC be released?

Post by jodokus31 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:01 pm
What does your youth not allow?
Like you said, whether you play or not, you will buy...

Exact dates are still a bit early I fear.
Those are the current official news:
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-365
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-367

According to the 7-step plan in FFF367 they said, that they are at step 4

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:15 pm
sdgmlj wrote:

My ultimate goal is to make the official release earlier.

"My youth" is my metaphor. I mean that when I get old, I won't have the energy to play this

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:08 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:15 pm
sdgmlj wrote:

My ultimate goal is to make the official release earlier.

"My youth" is my metaphor. I mean that when I get old, I won't have the energy to play this
I think, everyone wants the release earlier, but it will take the time which is needed.

Honestly, the energy to play this game depends more on motivation and less on age, in my experience. If you think you get too old for this game, it's probably time to get more distance and strive for regeneration. Factorio is really an exhausting game from time to time. If you are motivated, its very much fun, but it won't last forever.

eris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eris »

sdgmlj wrote:
I can wait, but I'm afraid my youth won't allow it!

The official version made me from 30 to nearly 40,

How much youth do I have?

If the new DLC is released, the following things I must do:

1. I will buy it no matter how much it is

2. Whether it's fun or not, I'll buy it. Even if I don't play, I'll buy it

You need to play it more as you get older your brain needs the problem solving exercise to keep you sharp. That is your motivation. I'm in my 50s and love the game, definitely in my top 10 and I have been playing video games sense the Atari 2600. :shock: 8-)

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

FFF 368 wrote:Work on the expansion is still the top priority for the team, and controller support is no easy task, so if it comes to Factorio, expect it much later this year.
"Sometime this year" is a reasonable deduction from the above snippet. And given controller support would take time for development/testing, that might mean the expansion release is August-October.

Return to “General discussion”