[0.15.35] Boiler type entities cannot eject burnt items

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.15.35] Boiler type entities cannot eject burnt items

Post by Hexicube »

The burnt item slot on boiler entities cannot be emptied via inserters, which results in such a boiler eventually backing up and stopping entirely since no other method for automating this currently exists. Fuel items provided to the boiler can still be extracted via inserters.

A mod is attached which recreates the issue by setting the vanilla boiler fuel category to nuclear, as well as massively dropping the efficiency so that it consumes cells at a reasonable rate, and adding a burnt item slot.
Attachments
Uranium_Boiler_0.1.0.zip
(836 Bytes) Downloaded 129 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.35] Boiler type entities cannot eject burnt items

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This is unfortunately a limitation of the game as it is currently. An entity can't have 2 output inventories that inserters will grab from meaning the boiler which already has the main fuel as output can't also have the burnt result output.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. This is unfortunately a limitation of the game as it is currently. An entity can't have 2 output inventories that inserters will grab from meaning the boiler which already has the main fuel as output can't also have the burnt result output.
Which is kinda meh, because it makes the nuclear burner type broken, if you base it of the functionality the reactor has. :/

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. This is unfortunately a limitation of the game as it is currently. An entity can't have 2 output inventories that inserters will grab from meaning the boiler which already has the main fuel as output can't also have the burnt result output.
I've yet to see an effective design for 0.15 boilers that uses the fuel sharing mechanic, surely that could be removed? It feels like a relic of the old boilers more than anything since the new boilers use 3 of their 4 sides for fluids.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Hexicube wrote:I've yet to see an effective design for 0.15 boilers that uses the fuel sharing mechanic, surely that could be removed? It feels like a relic of the old boilers more than anything since the new boilers use 3 of their 4 sides for fluids.
While i myself wouldn't mind if inventory-chaining in general would be removed (boilers, labs), i did use it on my last map:
PICTURE
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I also wouldn't mind if the inventory-chaining would get removed if it would enable modders to take advantage of ejecting something like burnt items into the output slot of Boilers etc.

Inventory chaining used to be interesting when you needed a shit-ton of the old 1x1 boilers and even then I never really used it because I always use burner inserters for my boilers (to prevent power-death spirals) and they are only more fuel efficient against electric inserters if they don't have to move a lot.

Barhandar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Barhandar »

Hexicube wrote:
I've yet to see an effective design for 0.15 boilers that uses the fuel sharing mechanic, surely that could be removed? It feels like a relic of the old boilers more than anything since the new boilers use 3 of their 4 sides for fluids.
Effective, no, but I've seen two: one that's been demonstrated, and two rows of boilers offset so the fuel zigzags between them via inserters.
Is it possible to make output inventory selectable instead of hardcoded, so that modders can create a copy of the boiler that outputs waste and cannot share fuel? Alternately, them having single inventory that whitelists fuel items only, so that inserters can both insert fuel and take out waste, but nothing else.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

MeduSalem wrote:Inventory chaining used to be interesting when you needed a shit-ton of the old 1x1 boilers and even then I never really used it because I always use burner inserters for my boilers (to prevent power-death spirals) and they are only more fuel efficient against electric inserters if they don't have to move a lot.
Vanilla fuel leeching via inventory chaining is still good for some medium-scale pre-nuclear power plants:
triple row boiler setup.jpg
triple row boiler setup.jpg (124.98 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
And with mods you can even get all-burner smelting setups including ore-to-steel double columns:
burner inserter based smelting.jpg
burner inserter based smelting.jpg (430.89 KiB) Viewed 5665 times

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

When a boiler's burnt result inventory is full, it seems to just delete further burnt results. Along with that, burnt results can only be manually removed from burner inserters.

Any chance of a revisit here?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This is something that I spent some time on and re-worked for 1.2. So when that releases (unknown future date) this will be resolved.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

I though it was fixed at 1.1.37?
inserters can now pull out from the main output and burnt result inventory of an entity.

_yt_
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by _yt_ »

1.1.39 at least seems to stop a boiler when it’s output is full, and a filter inserter can remove the output. A regular inserter still prefers to take out the input fuel. Any chance the output priorities could be inverted? Chaining boilers would presumably still work in that case?

Return to “Fixed for 2.0”