Alt-F4 #57 - Nuclear Energy and You

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AlternativeFFFF
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Alt-F4 #57 - Nuclear Energy and You

Post by AlternativeFFFF »

Another week, another Alt-F4 …? I guess we’ve been away for a while. It’s totally because we didn’t want to steal the spotlight from the FFF, which returned this year! Either way, let’s stop distracting from the great piece we do have this week: First-time contributor Sir Fendi wrote a very detailed piece on nuclear power in Factorio. It sometimes seems like the red-headed stepchild of power generation, but as Sir Fendi explains, there’s a lot of fun and efficiency to be had with it!

Continue reading: https://alt-f4.blog/ALTF4-57/

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Alt-F4 #57 - Nuclear Energy and You

Post by astroshak »

Nuclear is only scary until you dive into the numbers and start building it…

I understand why you chose to do the 3x3 reactor setup, to best demonstrate the SRE diagramming. I just hope others realize that 1040 MW is not the highest amount of heat possible to be generated from 8 reactors being automatically refueled. I’d guess that those who have delved into how to do nuclear know it already, and those who haven’t, don’t.

asheiduk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Alt-F4 #57 - Nuclear Energy and You

Post by asheiduk »

I'm missing some thoughts about the dynamic behaviour of nuclear plants and the trade-offs for this behaviour. Or at least mentioning, that these exists :-) For example: If a reactor starts up again (due to increased demand) and the reactor and heat pipes are cold then it takes longer until the heat reaches the last heat-exchanger with a "narrow" heat pipe path.

Return to “General discussion”