Temp. Stations. Setting to disable them?

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Temp. Stations. Setting to disable them?

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Hello there.

After a long Factorio hiatus, I began a new map with LTN.
I might have played my last one even before train limits were introduced to vanilla, or I never bothered to use them anyway.

I quickly noticed the "new" temp stops next to providers/requesters in the schedules and was wondering if that's some help for people using vanilla train limit and stations with the same name?

If that is the case, could I ask you for a mod setting (maybe on by default) to disable them?
I won't ever reuse a station name and I find them an ugly workaround for a feature I never used.

If they are for something completely different, please ignore me :roll:

danbopes
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Temp. Stations. Setting to disable them?

Post by danbopes »

They are intended to make the train go to the exact station in the case of duplicate stations. You say this is an "ugly workaround", but what harm does it do? It doesn't affect the delivery in the slightest, it will still go the same route it did if it didn't have the temporary stop. The only notice is when you open a specific train and view the schedule. Since trains essentially change schedules every time they return to the depot, I don't really see this as an issue either. You can simply ignore them when you open a specific train.

I simply don't see a need to remove these at all, or make an option to disable them.

Icnivad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Any way to disable temporary stops?

Post by Icnivad »

Temporary stops bypass station train limits, making trains back up in the worst places. I understand they are so stations can share a name, but unless the temporary stops are going to honor the station's limit, I'd rather just give stations unique names and not use them. Any way to do this?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Any way to disable temporary stops?

Post by robot256 »

You can't use the vanilla train limit feature with LTN. You have to send the LTN Train Limit signal to the LTN stop to control how maby trains are dispatched.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

merged with similar thread

When temp stops where added the logic to prevent duplicate names was removed.
I'm not going to add that back in just to remove temp stops.

LTN train limits are applied to the whole delivery, trains won't even be sent to a provider if the requester limit is full.

e-rwan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by e-rwan »

hi, I was also looking for a setting to disable temporary stop.
and I see one use in my case: i have every stations have a unique name exept for stations dedicated to one factory and with shared storage.
for exemple my iron factory has 3 stations, all named the same and with shared storage, with a train buffer that can hold 6 train. i often see scenario where two of the three stations are empty and two or more train are waiting in the buffer.
without the temp station train would re-route to one of the free stations, increasing train trouhgput.
i dont think disabling the temp stations would make any harm in my case?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

e-rwan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:49 am
hi, I was also looking for a setting to disable temporary stop.
and I see one use in my case: i have every stations have a unique name exept for stations dedicated to one factory and with shared storage.
LTN does not support rerouting deliveries once they have been scheduled. It will cause many other problems if you just remove the temp stops. (I know, because I tried it.)

If you want many-to-many routing, then you should do that with dedicated trains, vanilla train schedules and waypoint stops (the point where it decides which unloader is empty). Or look into the TSM mod, which is designed to have loaded trains wait at a depot until an unloader requests them.

If you want to use LTN, the way to solve your problem is to either a) balance the unloading belts; b) add more trains and/or production; or c) reduce some of the LTN train limits so they don't queue up at full stations as much.

e-rwan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by e-rwan »

robot256 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:13 pm
LTN does not support rerouting deliveries once they have been scheduled. It will cause many other problems if you just remove the temp stops. (I know, because I tried it.)
Dosen't ltn just create schedule for the train? go to temp stop and station A > go to temp stop and station B > back to depot.
isn't the routing handled on facotorio side?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

e-rwan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:11 pm
robot256 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:13 pm
Dosen't ltn just create schedule for the train? go to temp stop and station A > go to temp stop and station B > back to depot.
isn't the routing handled on facotorio side?
No, it does more than that. LTN keeps an internal record of the delivery all the way until the train arrives. If the train does not go where it is supposed to, LTN will flag it as an error. You can have duplicate trains scheduled for both the original and the new destination as a result.

On further thought, you actually have another problem entirely if there are trains queuing at LTN stops. Your stations should be configured to only request trains if there is space for them to unload completely, and that should happen pretty quickly. If your unloading station's belts are not balanced, a train might take too long to unoad because one wagon is still full.

You can also use the LTN priority signals to make sure the stop that runs out gets trains first.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Can't be stressed enough:
Before doing anything else ensure stations can unload!
Drain on station buffer chests should be balanced
Don't request more than the station can hold

Don't bother with advanced features like priority when your setup can't even do basic balanced unloading.
At best it'll only shift the problem around.

e-rwan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by e-rwan »

robot256 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:05 pm
No, it does more than that. LTN keeps an internal record of the delivery all the way until the train arrives. If the train does not go where it is supposed to, LTN will flag it as an error. You can have duplicate trains scheduled for both the original and the new destination as a result.
well didn't know that, thanks for the input.

my issue is not with chest buffer but train buffer.
I have a setup that look roughly like this(train station have the same name, a shared combinator and shared storage):
and sometimes I get the issue that you can see in the capture: two trains waiting for one station to free up blocking other trains.
I designed this with a misconception of how ltn worked so i'll probably have to make some tweaks. reducing train limit further or adding another line in train buffer should solve it but that means redesigning some factory...

I used a classic train network on my previous SE run, with one train per item waiting at depot, but i'm doing a sek2bz run this time and LTN feels unbeatable here: mixed train and priority station for byproduct would be tough to implement efficiently on a vanilla network.

thx for the input and the mod anyway.

pulli23
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pulli23 »

danbopes wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 pm
They are intended to make the train go to the exact station in the case of duplicate stations. You say this is an "ugly workaround", but what harm does it do? It doesn't affect the delivery in the slightest, it will still go the same route it did if it didn't have the temporary stop. The only notice is when you open a specific train and view the schedule. Since trains essentially change schedules every time they return to the depot, I don't really see this as an issue either. You can simply ignore them when you open a specific train.

I simply don't see a need to remove these at all, or make an option to disable them.
There are lots of mods that change the way temporary stops work - like set to "manual" on going to a personal stop (which is so damn handy when using trians to get around) - LTN conflicts only due to this.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

pulli23 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:00 pm
There are lots of mods that change the way temporary stops work - like set to "manual" on going to a personal stop (which is so damn handy when using trians to get around) - LTN conflicts only due to this.
Trains Switch to Manual at Temporary Stops should work alongside LTN.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”