Rename "Belt speed" to "Belt throughput" in ingame tooltip

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dialer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rename "Belt speed" to "Belt throughput" in ingame tooltip

Post by dialer »

I am talking about the thing that says "Belt speed: 15 items per second" for yellow belt. I disagree with "speed" being the correct terminology in this case, and find it unnecessarily ambiguous.

The wiki on this ( https://wiki.factorio.com/Transport_belts/Physics ) is more consistent with its nomenclature and calls that value "throughput" instead.

Alternatively, list yellow belt speed as "7.5 items per lane per second" to remove ambiguity. I would argue that 7.5 adheres to a more correct definition of the word speed. Rationale: Placing multiple belts next to each other increases throughput, but not speed, as speed denotes the rate of displacement at a particular point on the belt, in a similar way as cars on multiple road lanes are not moving at a faster speed than on a single lane, even though the throughput increases. To be more precise, yellow belt speed is more like "7.5 item lengths per second".

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rename "Belt speed" to "Belt throughput" in ingame tooltip

Post by BlueTemplar »

Welcome, and very good points !

What about displaying it as :
Belt throughput : 2 x [XX/2] items/s
EDIT : For instance for vanilla yellow belts :
Belt throughput : 2 x 7.5 items/s
?

See also this previous related discussion :
Belt speeds
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75121
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Actually, throughput would be the correct terminology. I very much agree.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Technically correct.

But I don't care. :D :P
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

IMHO the most sick is that spliters hawe same output as conveyers with same color, and i always thinked that they able only output& operate one full belt, wich is not true because they actualy hawe x2 speeds as object, but same speeds as tile

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:20 am
IMHO the most sick is that spliters hawe same output as conveyers with same color, and i always thinked that they able only output& operate one full belt, wich is not true because they actualy hawe x2 speeds as object, but same speeds as tile
Why not? Splitters are essentially two belts side by side with a device that’ll push items from one belt to the other without the need of the belt stopping.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:42 am
Defective_Soul wrote:
Why not? Splitters are essentially two belts side by side with a device that’ll push items from one belt to the other without the need of the belt stopping.
Wich means that we hawe thing wich nad to operate 2 times faster than a belt to make sure it fast enout for both

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:23 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:42 am
Defective_Soul wrote:
Wich means that we hawe thing wich nad to operate 2 times faster than a belt to make sure it fast enout for both
The equipment in the center that does the belt change does, yes, but not the belts themselves, which means throughput is still the same.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This mixing of wrong units reminds me to something. In Germany we often say “my car runs 250 kilometers” instead of “250 kilometers per hour”. Dunno if that is the same in Czech… :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

moar
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:56 am
This mixing of wrong units reminds me to something. In Germany we often say “my car runs 250 kilometers” instead of “250 kilometers per hour”. Dunno if that is the same in Czech… :)
Even worse, you call the speedometer Tacho! Which is exactly the wrong thing to call it, the tachometer measures revolutions per minute :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@BlueTempler: I will delete such off-topic stuff the next time.

@aka13: Which it was in the past: from the motor came a (I don’t know the English word) “turning wire” and the Tacho measured the revolutions per minute of the motor. Knowing in which gear you currently are driving you know more or less exactly how fast you go. 8-)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”