[bug ?] PMing yourself

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

[bug ?] PMing yourself

Post by Defective_Soul »

Is it ok that you can send mail to you own ? Is it bug or feature ?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [bug ?] PMing yourself

Post by Klonan »

What is the problem with it?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:55 am
What is the problem with it?
It becomes kind of a problem in this scenario: You've exchanged PMs with another user. Later, you want to send a follow-up quoting something from an old message you've sent, which has never been quoted in any of the newer messages. So you go to your sentbox and click the "Quote message" button on the old message. When you're done editing the post, you send the messages without checking the recipients -- only to notice that you've just sent a PM to yourself, but not the other user.

This scenario is real, not made up. While I absolutely agree that this is a case of PEBKAC, I must confess that the same thing has happened to me several times. :oops: Of course, one can just send the message again as soon as one notes the mistake, but it's unnecessary work. Asking for confirmation if the sender also is the only recipient of a message would help to avoid this.
Last edited by Pi-C on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

This all seems like stuff that can occur with regular email, too….
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 am
"reply all" is my favourite mistake ever

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 am
"reply all" is my favourite mistake ever
:lol: Yup, and attempting to educate them and even setting our email groups to have a message appear saying “Use in Bcc field only!” still doesn’t help for some….
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “This Forum”