[1.1.50] FPS drop when menus/inventory open

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kmey659
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.50] FPS drop when menus/inventory open

Post by kmey659 »

1) I noticed after the [1.1.50] update that FPS would suddenly drop when I opened the inventory menu. This occurred in a save game from a previous version. I check my graphics card settings, Vsync, and disabled all mods and the issues persisted.

2) Other menus such as the train, electricity, or production windows resulted in similar FPS drops.

3) I created a new game opened the inventory did not see an FPS drop. I created a sandbox game and included free inventory starter items and experienced an FPS drop when opening the inventory window.

4) I have determined the number of items in the inventory affects the FPS in game. Below I attached a sandbox map and three images. One with the empty inventory window, one with half inventory, and one with full inventory. The level of FPS drop corresponds with the amount of inventory slots occupied.
Attachments
Sandbox2export.zip
save file
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Half Inventory - partial FPS hit
Half Inventory - partial FPS hit
HalfInventory.png (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1778 times
Full Inventory - FPS hit
Full Inventory - FPS hit
FullInventory.png (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1778 times
factorio-current.log
log fil
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Empty Inventory - no FPS hit
Empty Inventory - no FPS hit
EmptyInventory.png (2.76 MiB) Viewed 1778 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.50] FPS drop when menus/inventory open

Post by posila »

Are you playing on battery or with charger plugged in?

kmey659
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kmey659 »

posila wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:27 am
Are you playing on battery or with charger plugged in?
I am playing with the charger plugged in. I just checked my energy settings and they are on the right settings. I have not had other FPS hits on other games I have tested (Star Sector and Stellaris) and the drops in Factorio seem to be menu related.

Timodasilva
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Timodasilva »

Hello,

i have the exact same problem, any suggestions?

Im playing on a pretty strong system not a laptop. I can upload logs and screenshots i neccessary.

Cheers.

Edit: Logfile: https://pastebin.com/CkwmssvF

Screenshot with debug:
20220212135724_1.jpg
20220212135724_1.jpg (651.96 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
For me it seems that the gui render time is too high, but I dont know how to fix this. This problems occurs with or withoud mods installed.

EDIT: The force opengl startup option in the steam launch options solved the issue! Im really happy.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Timodasilva wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:39 pm
Hello,

i have the exact same problem, any suggestions?

Im playing on a pretty strong system not a laptop. I can upload logs and screenshots i neccessary.

Cheers.

Edit: Logfile: https://pastebin.com/CkwmssvF

Screenshot with debug:

20220212135724_1.jpg

For me it seems that the gui render time is too high, but I dont know how to fix this. This problems occurs with or withoud mods installed.

EDIT: The force opengl startup option in the steam launch options solved the issue! Im really happy.
It seems you have a 144Hz monitor - Factorio really dislikes those for some reason.
Dropping to 120Hz seems to help a bit.

Return to “Technical Help”