My game is changing from DW/Mar to default mid game.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

My game is changing from DW/Mar to default mid game.

Post by Drakken »

Help!!!

I set up a game Deathworld/Marathon, I have to shuffle through a ton of maps to find something suitable and then I play it. I get many hours in and it seems too easy. Spitters aren't showing up like usual. So I check the game string in a new game and it says it is on default settings.

What is going on? This has happened twice in a row and I have wasted about 10 hours in game. I know that I set up the game correctly, especially the second time! I save the game as I go along and have reloaded a few times. Yet I have always done this with no effect on the game mode before.

If anyone has an answer for how this can happen, I would be very grateful!!!

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: My game is changing from DW/Mar to default mid game.

Post by Genhis »

Hello, when you import a map exchange string which was created from a non-default preset, it will be labelled as "Default [modified]" but the values will match your preset.

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

Wow... Thank you!

I didn't even think to look at all of the settings. I just immediately hit the deathworld/marathon button and saw things changed. But, you are correct. The settings do match deathworld/marathon. The things that changed back to default upon button push were the settings I altered to make the map harder.

I must be playing at a whole new level. I just checked the evolution and the spitters will be coming very soon.

Just to be sure... They haven't eased up the DW/Mar settings since releasing 1.0 have they?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I'm not aware, that they balanced DW/Marathon since 1.0. Before they made the time factor a bit easier. (in 0.17). And there also was a bug, where pollution was insane on evolution. But also in 0.17. somewhere.

Maybe you are just lucky with your seed, that biters are not triggered extremely. :D

BTW: If you like more challenge you might want to look into the spice rack mod thingy in my signature. It changes difficulty slightly and can be customized in pretty much every aspect. Esp. the military and pollution mods try to remove the OP-ness of landmines, flamethrowers, effectivity modules, etc.
(the mod pack is partly a result from former discussions regarding deathworlds all over the place here...)

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

Thanks for the mod advice. This spawn is pretty tough. Almost no trees at all, sand everywhere. A big biter base very close to the starting resources and I will have to fight through 3 or 4 bases packed closely together to get to oil, and a dozen or so to get additional iron and copper resources. When I go for the oil the evolution factor is going to explode.

Since I am doing this playthrough with no bots, no lasers, no solar. It is going to be tough to survive to get to flamethrower turrets. However, after I have those there seems to be a respite for a while.

I think the big change is... I have a smaller automated perimeter defense this game. In the past I think I tried to protect too large of an area to give me room to build everything. This time going smaller made it much easier to automate my defense with less running around doing reloads and repairs. I have enough room to make blue potion production but after that I will need more room.

This strategy helped a lot and made me think I was way ahead of the game. But now that I look at my old saves it took me much longer to build a perimeter on my old larger bases.

Edit: Now that I think about it having that large biter base so close to me may have made this easier. That base absorbed a ton of pollution and may have prevented the pollution from getting to bases further out. Because of this most of the attacks on my base came from one direction where I could concentrate my efforts and run less.

Return to “Technical Help”