Random Lag spikes when playing K2

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Dum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Random Lag spikes when playing K2

Post by Dum »

Hello. After a while off playing with SE + The AAI mods, i decided to start a new world with K2 + SE, only to be hit by massive lag spikes every 10-20 seconds. Initially, i tought this was due to too many mods, so i removed everything but K2. No change. Went back to old modpack (40+ mods) and it worked flawlessly. So im pretty sure something weired is going on with me here.

Technically specs:
Apple M1
8 CPU cores
8 GPU cores
16GB ram

Would appreciate help ASAP

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Random Lag spikes when playing K2

Post by Zavian »

I suggest you start by posting the screenshots and logfile requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68653 .

Note make sure to enable debug options mentioned in that post, and include screenshots of normal performance and during the lag spikes.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

K2 is probably quite graphics memory hungry and M1 has probably not that much graphics RAM (dedicated or not).
I would propose to experiment with graphic settings or try to assign more memory to M1 graphics (not sure, if possible)

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

From my understanding M1 systems don't have VRAM - CPU, GPU, and RAM are together on the chip so GPU can just use RAM as needed at full speed without needing separate RAM - it doesn't have to go through a much slower system bus like on an x86/x64 system with shared RAM.

That said those symptoms sound very similar to what happens when the game can't keep all the needed sprites loaded in VRAM, and from what I've seen K2 uses a lot, especially with SE. You might want to try setting graphics options that reduce VRAM usage and see if those help - the descriptions in options generally say if they need more/less VRAM.

Otherwise, as Zavian said follow the steps in the thread he linked.

Dum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dum »

No result even on low settings with just K2. I honestly dont think this is a VRAM/RAM issue, yes i know K2 uses a lot, but i have ran more RAM intensive things without much issue. Im starting to get concerned i might be having the same issue as this guy https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Krastorio ... 4cb7cd867d

and his issue was solved by a setting not presente on mac/linux

Dum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dum »

Also adding to why i think its not a ram issue, this happens instantly on a new world, with just K2, before i even build anything. I know K2 is memory hungry, but i dont think even it can eat up that much on map start

Dum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dum »

going to try and get logs, thanks for the help so far

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Dum wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 pm
and his issue was solved by a setting not presente on mac/linux
That setting isn't present because flip presentation is a directX feature. It can't be causing the issue as Linux/Mac don't use DirectX.

Return to “Technical Help”