Pneumatic Delivery

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pneumatic Delivery

Post by ssilk »

TL;DR
Pneumatic pipes can be used to send the requests in the target logistic network to the source logistic network and then the requested items to the target. This is very, very fast. I think about 2-20 times faster than trains.

It has also an immense throughput (up to 100-500 items per second). It's nearly like teleportation, but has one simple tweak, read further to pneumatic capsule.

Reasons
See the 9th post in this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 150#p56043

Inspiration

This was inspired by the fact, that Wube is situated in Prague near the old pneumatic station of Prague. See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... tic#p51366

There is also this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... rtal+Pipes
This mentioned idea could be the base technology of this suggestion. I think here to an "inside logistic network transport system" and also for a fast transport system for the character, instead of trains.

And is also inspired by the game Portal, which has those wonderful pipe system. This is also mentioned here:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... pes#p24173

There is also this "colored logistic network" idea, read here https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... tic#p38564
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ion#p18749
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 548#p23548

And then also some other threads:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=1929
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=886
And much more...

The pneumatic capsule

Why can this not replace the trains or belts? The problem is, that every transported item needs to be packed into a pneumatic capsule, before it can be shoot through the pipes. (I let the handling of this packing/unpacking free in this suggestion, because it is not important yet!) At the target, the capsules are unpacked and will soon clog the target chest/storage, if not transported back. Of course the capsules cannot be put into capsules and the requests for capsules in the pneumatic system will be filtered. :) The capsules are also not that cheap, that they can be left alone at the target stations; you will need them back!

Uses: This isn't useable for mass-transport and cannot replace the trains; this is only for supply, faster construction, building up far outposts or big bases. In other words: Extreme throughput over extreme distances, handling of short peaks. It will speed up the game, but will not replace existing transports.

How is this working in detail?

You place a "pneumatic requester chest" in the source logistic network and a "pneumatic active provider chest" in the target logistic network. (The logistic networks cannot be the same, but read further)

Then you need to connect both chests via pneumatic pipes. I don't think that special pumping stations or packing stations are needed. For the first I don't see the increase in gameplay and for the second there is already the need to assemble hundreds of pneumatic capsules and this system will be allowed to gain worth over time.

The requester chest now can "see", what items are missing in the provider chests network.

In other words: the sum of all destination network requests are send back by the connected provider chests to all connected requester chests in the source networks.

In other words: there is no need to tell in the source network: bring X number if Y items! No, the target network tells this to the source: we need X number of Y items!

In other words: the pneumatic requester chest has no toggles to request items, the toggles are automatic!

The logistic network in the source will now fulfill this request as it works now: Logistic bots feed the requester chests. Quite simple.

They are then packed into the capsules (needs also to be feed, and I let here open, how the packing works, but I think it should be really simple: if an item is delivered and if we have a capsule left, the item is put into capsule is send. Maybe the requester and provider should have extra capsule-stacks...

At the destination, the item is unpacked and construction/logistic bots will take them as this would be a normal active provider chest.

EDIT: I copied a part of the below answer into this first post:

Building a new outpost, example
All I need are some solar panels and poles, a roboport and a pneumatic provider. I walk/drive to the place with nothing else.
I place the solar panels, connect a roboport and then built inside the roboport the pneumativ provider. I connect this provider to the pneumatic requester in my main-factory, there, where I have all the other needed stuff.
Note, that this tooks me till here only 1 or 2 minutes. I don't need to walk back!
Then I put a normal requester chest and request logistic and construction bots.
Until the pneumatic net brings me the bots, I can begin to place blueprints, more roboports, create a train station. Make the whole outpost.
The logistic network will request the needed stuff for me, and the requests are forwared to the requester chests in my home factory and the stuff is brought then to me.
Now I can pick up the brought construction and logistic bots and they will begin their work.
I place some storage chests, so that my pneumatic provider won't run full.
I can now - without stop - place all other needed stuff as blueprint/ghosted entity. The things will be brought so fast, that I don't need to care about anything. If it begins to work slower I can place another pneumatic provider to bring the items near to the targets.
I can create a trainstation in an instance, the trainstation requests the raw resources and empty pneumatic capsules all that is brought back by train.

Pneumatic network, explained
Why should the requester have the capsules? The provider sends the items, so it should have the capsules.
No, no, no, no, no. :)

Ok, I see, the names are confusing. Sorry, for that. I try to explain it a bit better.

Part 1:
Left is your home factory, this is the SOURCE. Here is, where (nearly) everything comes together. Here is, where you have loads of stuff on storages, that can be used to build more stuff.
Right side is the outpost. See above! This is the target of the pneumatic net, the place, where you need the items.

In the source network there is a PNEUMATIC REQUESTER chest. It REQUESTS items for the pneumatic network.
In the target logistic network is a PNEUMATIC PROVIDER chest, which provides the items, which are transported with the pneumatic network to the outpost.

Code: Select all

HOME FACTORY,                                                            OUTPOST,
       SOURCE-Logistic network                                               TARGET-Logistic network
       -----------------------                                               -----------------------

Pneumatic requester chest  <-------------------------------------   Pneumatic provider chest
                                     The measured missing requested items  
                                     of all outposts are transmitted back
Part two:
Pneumatic requester gets the transferred missing items from the outposts and requests the items in the source network...

Part three:
The bots will put the items AND pneumatic capsules into the pneumatic requester, they are then packed and transported in the pneumatic network and then put into the pneumatic providers at the other end, where they are unpacked and provided, like if it is an active provider chest.

logistic bots fill in                                                  Logistic bots take the
           "normal" items                                                          normal items out

|                                                                        ^
                 v                                                                        |

pneumatic requester    -------- transport of full capsules  ------>   pneumatic provider
                                            over pneumatic network                  
                 ^                                                                        |
                 |                                                                        v

Logistic bots fill in                                                 Logistic bots take the
          empty pneumatic capsules                                            empty pneumatic capsules out
Again: The names for "pneumatic provider chest" and "pneumatic requester chest" must change, cause they are a quite confusing. :) But I won't change them yet, cause I think it is now clear what is meant.

Edge cases and building up a huge pneumatic network

Connecting some requester chests (into the same pneumatic network) in the same logistic network: the bots that fill the requester chest will try to take the shortest requester chest, but this should already work as expected. The same is also for provider chests in the target logistic network: the items are delivered to the nearest provider chest first (until full). I don't want to mix in here the problems, that the bots are all on the other end of the logistic area and other.

Having some requester chests in different logistic networks: the request will be send to the network, which has the most of the needed items left and enough capsules left. The distance should play a small role in this calculation.

Having some provider chests (at the same pneumatic network) in different logistic systems: the request is delivered to the "most need" first, and if there is space left at the target chests. Distance should play a small role.

Request and provider chests in in both logistic nets. Aka: there is one pneumatic networks, which connects two ore more logistic networks with both, provider AND requester chests: well. I think this shouldn't be allowed! I think a logistic network is either a source or a target, but not both.

If you manage to use two pneumatic networks for that: well. Why not? It will have the same problems as when having provider and requester chest in on logistic network and connect them via belts.

Building "Chains" of pneumatic and logistic network.

Logistic network A ---> Pneumatic network A ---> Logistic network B ---> Pneumatic network B ---> Logistic network C

It is a good question, if the requests of logistic network C are forwarded into Logistic network A. I have currently no good answer to this, but I tend to say no, cause it should be handled like in the electric network, where the accumulators in both networks cannot request accumulator power and you need to connect those distincted networks into one.

What can be done instead is, that if the pneumatic net B sucks off all walls from logistic net B, then there could be some new chest, a mix of requester and provider chest, something, which sends requests only into pneumatic network, but provides it only into the logistic.

How the request are send to the source?

There is this "long range smart bus"-idea: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... bus#p40712
This bus might be the way, how the requests are transmitted back, but that gains the prerequisite, that this technology is already explored.
I can think also to niftier ways.
For example: the current requests are send back every second in an capsule.
Or the pneumatic network includes also an own smart bus, which might be quite useful.

I think an important side effect should be to enable some pneumatic info screen, where I can see all connected logistic networks and their current requests/delivery rate etc.

How the pneumatic pipes should be built?

I think quite simple here. You need to built of course pneumatic pipes (I let it open if a normal pipe is enough). But because of the long distances there is no game play to built pipe by pipe. All I need is to say "connect to this chest". The rest is built in underground only. No neede to think about it.

If that is too less, then I think to long range construction bots, which can travel very long ranges only and take up a whole stack of items for construction, so that they can be used also for rails, power poles etc. to that far outpost.

But even then: the pneumatic can be built completely in underground. No need to see it. It might be useful to have a special layer for that, to see, how the items are pressed through the pipes. :)

Conclusion

There is some mechanisms needed to transport peaks of items very, very fast.

This suggestion should do exactly that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Pneumatic Delivery

Post by Nova »

You didn't even say why this should be needed. No, "There is some mechanisms needed to transport peaks of items very, very fast." is not acceptable.
ssilk wrote:The requester chest now can "see", what items are missing in the provider chests network.
How can the requester chest "see" how many items are wanted?

How much should one capsule cost?
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good questions, I'll answer this evening to the first.

The second answer has more parts.

How is the number of needed items calculated?
The number of needed items per logistic net is already existing, or quite easy to calculate per logistic network. All that has to be done is to sum this number up per logistic net.

How is this number collected? How is the number of needed items transferred to the pneumatic requester chests?
This depends on, how the numbers are transferred. See How the request are send to the source?
But in general I would say, that the an active provider connects to the logistic network and gets these numbers. This is then transferred to the pneumatic requesters.
There is no special way, how this is transferred, this part is open and depends on other things. But for the first implementation I would program it just like so simple as possible, which means: the generated numbers are transferred to all the requesters.

Third question: I dunno and this is part of balancing. But I think it must be so expensive, that you need to think about the costs and do not overproduce. See also the barrels, they are in my eyes minimally too cheap, cause you don't need much and can use them endlessly, but on the other side you need to produce many in the beginning, so they must be quite cheap.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Interesting idea. I wonder if something like this isn't already possible using the existing modding interfaces.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Could you give a range for the costs of the capsules? In the moment I have no idea if it is something like "1 plastic + 1 electric circuit" or "10 plastic + 1 processing unit".

I will try to summarize and simplify the whole idea. Please mark any mistakes or shortcomings, ssilk:
We can make connections with some kind of "pipes" (no ingame entity, but just a connection between A and B) between a provider and requester chest. This costs resources depending on the distance. Items which are needed in the logistic network of the requester chest will be transported through the connection. The logistic bots are responsible to transport the items from the requester chest to the final destination. To transport an item it has to be "encapsuled" into a capsule. This will be done automaticly in the provider chest. If the provider chest has no capsules left, some will be requested from another provider or requester chest. The transport takes some time, depending on the distance. The speed should be something above the train speed.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nova wrote:Could you give a range for the costs of the capsules? In the moment I have no idea if it is something like "1 plastic + 1 electric circuit" or "10 plastic + 1 processing unit".
Nope. That depends on too much other factors yet, this should be done by the devs. And it is not important yet.
This costs resources depending on the distance.
The building of the pneumatic pipes, yes. But I think the initial costs should be very low. As said this is part of balancing[/quite]
If the provider chest has no capsules left, some will be requested from another provider or requester chest.
Well, I didn't also thought, how the empty capsules are coming to the requester. Maybe the pneumatic requester and provider do have extra stacks for the capsules only.
The pneumatic active providers will split the full capsule into empty capsule and item. The item is put into the normal stacks (interesting question, what happens it the target provider stacks are all full) and the capsule in the capsule only stacks.

The requester requests always capsules, so much, that his capsule-stacks are full. I think the existing capsules in the network should be transported into the requester chests, so that I don't need to care about it.

The number of capsule stacks? I think about max. 50 capsules per stack, which will be also avoid of using it as replacement iron ore transport. And for the very first implementation I would just set filters: for each stack in the chest you can set it either free or capsules, and if set to capsule it will automatically request so many capsules, that it will be full.

And then we will see... :)

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

Minecraft. Buildcraft. Logistics pipes. Nuff said. :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The most important part is still: Why should this be implemented? I still don't get why this should be added.
Sending big amounts over small area: Belts / logistic bots.
Sending small amounts over small area: Logistic bots.
Sending big amounts over big are: Trains.
Sending small amounts over big area: Maybe here? Then again, I would much more prefer some kind of long-range logistic robots. With 10 times (rough estimate) the energy reserve, bigger storage space, higher speed (but not as fast as trains) and extremely costly. Something like 4 logistic robots, 10 steel, 1 speed module MK 2, 5 processing units. It could start from its own "helipad" and only be used if the distance is too high for normal robots or if more than 100 items are needed. Something like a drone quadcopter would be so nice. Oh, and it can only fly in radar coverage. It could even have some weapons after an upgrade. Something like "Armed Quadcopter" = "1 Quadcopter + 2 Machine guns + 10 gears". To be honest, I like this idea so much after writing it, I have to open an own thread for it... I think I'm in love with this idea. Hopefully nobody else already mentioned it. :D

Why should the requester have the capsules? The provider sends the items, so it should have the capsules.

ssilk wrote:The item is put into the normal stacks (interesting question, what happens it the target provider stacks are all full) and the capsule in the capsule only stacks.
What happens if a logistic robot wants to transfer an item into a full chest? That should also happen if the capsule target is full.

Nirahiel wrote:Minecraft. Buildcraft. Logistics pipes. Nuff said. :)
Well, good ideas will be copied.
Greetings, Nova.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nova wrote:The most important part is still: Why should this be implemented? I still don't get why this should be added.
I didn't explain it till yet. :)
Sending big amounts over small area: Belts / logistic bots.
Sending small amounts over small area: Logistic bots.
Sending big amounts over big are: Trains.
Sending small amounts over big area: Maybe here? Then again, I would much more prefer some kind of long-range logistic robots. With 10 times (rough estimate) the energy reserve, bigger storage space, higher speed (but not as fast as trains) and extremely costly. Something like 4 logistic robots, 10 steel, 1 speed module MK 2, 5 processing units. It could start from its own "helipad" and only be used if the distance is too high for normal robots or if more than 100 items are needed. Something like a drone quadcopter would be so nice. Oh, and it can only fly in radar coverage. It could even have some weapons after an upgrade. Something like "Armed Quadcopter" = "1 Quadcopter + 2 Machine guns + 10 gears". To be honest, I like this idea so much after writing it, I have to open an own thread for it... I think I'm in love with this idea. Hopefully nobody else already mentioned it. :D
Well. I must say, that I play now since more than half a year something, which can be called "Big, big factorio worlds". I think, that they are the most fascinating aspect of Factorio and the play with this goes then a little bit into a direction of "Open Transport Tycoon", but with the difference, that you can zoom in much deeper. Playing like this brings really in a cool aspect, which I never saw in any other game (even in Factorio); it becomes this "breeze of realism", this unbelievable depth. If you get the smell, you will not stop playing.

What playing like so sucks is this quite slow building up. You need to bring stuff far, far away. A train takes minutes to drive there at full speed. If you forgot something, you need to wait for the next train. It can take hours to build up a simple outpost.

Bots are much, much too slow for that! They took ages to bring stuff to a far outpost.
And there will be never bots, which are much faster, cause, provided, that those must look good and a bit realistic, the bots cannot fly faster than the train. It will just look stupid, if they do. And then - to keep it a bit realistic - those bots must be big.
And then it is still not useable for transporting loads of stuff.
Maybe we will have another type of bot, some kind of "Flying Roboport". But it fulfils a completely different need: Build railway, build poles, build continuously stuff over large areas. Some hundreds of items, but not thousands.

So the reason to this suggestion is this "transport peaks of items very, very fast" to built up constuctions.

Where do we need peaks of items?
- Construction with blueprints
- Fast supply for defence or offence strategies. A needed requirement for fighting, without waiting hours.
- Handling sudden needs of items
- Transporting extremely expensive stuff
- Transporting high prio stuff

That's it and in this order. So I would use this to built up new outposts for example. Yes, it's mainly usable for building. But can handle also emergency issues, like "I need 100,000 bullets. Now!"

Building a new outpost, example
All I need are some solar panels and poles, a roboport and a pneumatic provider. I walk/drive to the place with nothing else.
I place the solar panels, connect a roboport and then built inside the roboport the pneumativ provider. I connect this provider to the pneumatic requester in my main-factory, there, where I have all the other needed stuff.
Note, that this tooks me till here only 1 or 2 minutes. I don't need to walk back!
Then I put a normal requester chest and request logistic and construction bots.
Until the pneumatic net brings me the bots, I can begin to place blueprints, more roboports, create a train station. Make the whole outpost.
The logistic network will request the needed stuff for me, and the requests are forwared to the requester chests in my home factory and the stuff is brought then to me.
Now I can pick up the brought construction and logistic bots and they will begin their work.
I place some storage chests, so that my pneumatic provider won't run full.
I can now - without stop - place all other needed stuff as blueprint/ghosted entity. The things will be brought so fast, that I don't need to care about anything. If it begins to work slower I can place another pneumatic provider to bring the items near to the targets.
I can create a trainstation in an instance, the trainstation requests the raw resources and empty pneumatic capsules all that is brought back by train.

Pneumatic network, explained
No, no, no, no, no. :)

Ok, I see, the names are confusing. Sorry, for that. I try to explain it a bit better.

Part 1:
Left is your home factory, this is the SOURCE. Here is, where (nearly) everything comes together. Here is, where you have loads of stuff on storages, that can be used to build more stuff.
Right side is the outpost. See above! This is the target of the pneumatic net, the place, where you need the items.

In the source network there is a PNEUMATIC REQUESTER chest. It REQUESTS items for the pneumatic network.
In the target logistic network is a PNEUMATIC PROVIDER chest, which provides the items, which are transported with the pneumatic network to the outpost.

HOME FACTORY,                                                            OUTPOST,
       SOURCE-Logistic network                                               TARGET-Logistic network
       -----------------------                                               -----------------------

Pneumatic requester chest  <-------------------------------------   Pneumatic provider chest
                                     The measured missing requested items  
                                     of all outposts are transmitted back
Part two:
Pneumatic requester gets the transferred missing items from the outposts and requests the items in the source network...

Part three:
The bots will put the items AND pneumatic capsules into the pneumatic requester, they are then packed and transported in the pneumatic network and then put into the pneumatic providers at the other end, where they are unpacked and provided, like if it is an active provider chest.

logistic bots fill in                                                  Logistic bots take the
           "normal" items                                                          normal items out

|                                                                        ^
                 v                                                                        |

pneumatic requester    -------- transport of full capsules  ------>   pneumatic provider
                                            over pneumatic network                  
                 ^                                                                        |
                 |                                                                        v

Logistic bots fill in                                                 Logistic bots take the
          empty pneumatic capsules                                            empty pneumatic capsules out
                                                                                           ----> pneumatic capsules (empty)
Again: The names for "pneumatic provider chest" and "pneumatic requester chest" must change, cause they are a quite confusing. :) But I won't change them yet, cause I think it is now clear what is meant.
Nirahiel wrote:Minecraft. Buildcraft. Logistics pipes. Nuff said. :)
Well, good ideas will be copied.
I don't know any of those/didn't play it. But what I saw in the docs about it, it has nothing to do with this concept. The pneumatic network is quite stupid and works nearly the same way as the electric network, but slower. It has a measurable delay (but much faster than train).

There isn't at any time any manual request inside of the pneumatic network. It works completely automated by taking all requests of the target network.

All in all, this will bring much speed into the building-aspect of Factorio! Building stuff will then need minutes and not hours.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

We should have the names consistent with the logistic network. Requester chests request things from the source network, provider chests provide for the targed network (in logistic networks both source and targed are the same). Swapping the names for the pneumatic tube system doesn't make much sense.

I don't know if there ever will be a "solution" for your problem. It sound so specific, exactly made for you... Other people would just not build with 9000 km between their bases. Or bring the stuff with them. Or build them on site. ^^

I don't really know how this will affect the logistic bots and belts. Why using them if the can "teleport" resources through the base? Expensive capsules are... well, logistic bots are expensive, too. And I have still no idea which kind of "expensive" you mean. Should that stuff be endgame content? Or middle game? How far away is it from logistic bots?
Greetings, Nova.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Nova wrote:I don't know if there ever will be a "solution" for your problem. It sound so specific, exactly made for you... Other people would just not build with 9000 km between their bases. Or bring the stuff with them. Or build them on site. ^^
From the moment I started reading ssilk's idea, I thought of the exact same use case he described. And I've seen a few more savegames over the months from people that would most certainly think the same :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nova wrote:We should have the names consistent with the logistic network. Requester chests request things from the source network, provider chests provide for the targed network (in logistic networks both source and targed are the same). Swapping the names for the pneumatic tube system doesn't make much sense.
Depends on standpoint. From standpoint of pneumatic network it is correct as it is. :)
I don't know if there ever will be a "solution" for your problem. It sound so specific, exactly made for you... Other people would just not build with 9000 km between their bases. Or bring the stuff with them. Or build them on site. ^^
Well, yes. But it makes sense, if
- we get colored logistic networks. See link in the first post.
- better end-game (I know some aspects of the plan and I think you will say "yes, then it makes sense" :) ).
I don't really know how this will affect the logistic bots and belts. Why using them if the can "teleport" resources through the base? Expensive capsules are... well, logistic bots are expensive, too.
You cannot use it to move stuff in the same logistic network. See above! You can trick it out, but why not.
And I have still no idea which kind of "expensive" you mean. Should that stuff be endgame content? Or middle game? How far away is it from logistic bots?
I think it should be available at the same time as the construction bots.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Your throughput numbers are rather off compared to the prague pneumatic system.
They could send "burst" of up to 10 capsules, those being sent in 30 second intervals.
That's far from promised "hundreds of items per second",
since I doubt you'd be able to stuff more than 5 items into the capsule.

That system also required a compressor unit every 3 kilometers

If you decide to go for far thicker pipes and heavier loads,
you get serious issues attempting to seal the pipe around the capsule.
(the prague capsules could use a paper fan on their ends)

You also get issues with capsule friction (since it's so heavy),
requiring unrealistic air pressures to compensate for the leak-arounds AND to actually move it.

That could be solved by using water instead of air as the propellant (slower, but may actually work)
Or perhaps such capsules could have wheels to reduce the friction (and that sounds like subway)
EDIT: So I guess you can reach similar effects by introducing machinery that can pick up and handle whole cargo wagons?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MF- wrote:Your throughput numbers are rather off compared to the prague pneumatic system.
They could send "burst" of up to 10 capsules, those being sent in 30 second intervals.
That's far from promised "hundreds of items per second",
since I doubt you'd be able to stuff more than 5 items into the capsule.

That system also required a compressor unit every 3 kilometers
realismn vs. gameplay: 1:1 :)

No, I think it doesn't need to be realistic. ;) it solves a specific problem.
EDIT: So I guess you can reach similar effects by introducing machinery that can pick up and handle whole cargo wagons?
eh? Ah. Now I understood. Big underground pipes... Underground trains. And so on.

Well. No. I want to solve the problem of supplying outposts. This is just no fun yet. Not to bring loads of stuff. And handling loads of stuff is possible with this system, but you need to handle the empty capsules. If you have enough resources this is no problem. :)

And what you mean is in my eyes more or less a vacuum pipe transport.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Actually, I've suggested a wheeled capsule pushed through a pipe using air (or water if air wouldn't cut it).
Such thing differs from trains only in the way how it's propelled.

That Vacatrain I've not heard about before is a regular self-powered train in an air-free pipe.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I loved this idea! Such a good concept.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

I think it should be quite so possible as i checked a few of the functions one can use and i think it should be possible as it is possible to read the requestslots in a chest and set requestslots too :)! Then it is a simple manner of calculating how long the items will take to travel :)

Now the possibly hard part may be to do the piping, but i think il go and check it out :)!

Edit:
It's transfering items :D!
If you want to follow up on how it's going, please go check my bucket wheel excavator development thread in the mods - WIP section :)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Made mod and if you feel brave to test it whilst it is in early WIP state, then here is the link:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 038#p87038
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”