Train choosing path with red signal rather than the path with green signal

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
elmacko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train choosing path with red signal rather than the path with green signal

Post by elmacko »

Why is the train in the picture choosing to go for the path with a red train signal (top one) instead of the bottom one which has a green signal? This is messing up my train network since it blocks all trains until I manually move the train in the top. It's not limited to the case in the picture, sometimes the bottom one is red and middle is green but it still wants to go through the red signal etc. Any help appreciated.

This setup works most of the times (the train chooses to exit where the signal is green) but sometimes it ends up in this blocked state.
factorio_trains.PNG
factorio_trains.PNG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1099 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Train choosing path with red signal rather than the path with green signal

Post by boskid »

Signals on the right side of bottom path are misaligned, preventing any trains from finding a path through that section of rails.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

boskid wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:36 pm
Signals on the right side of bottom path are misaligned, preventing any trains from finding a path through that section of rails.
I think they may be misaligned on the left of the bottom segment, too. Hard to tell from the pic for me.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

elmacko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by elmacko »

ah, they have to be exactly aligned? it still works sometimes (that the train chooses the empty slot to exit through)

elmacko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by elmacko »

Such a silly mistake, it seems to be working after correcting the misaligned signals in the bottom right...thanks for spotting the issue!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yes, signals on both sides of the tracks should occupy the spaces exactly across from each other.

Signals on parallel tracks don’t need to be aligned with each other, ie in your setup, the top, mid, and bottom rails can have their signals offset to each other if you want. But on the same segment, ie the bottom, the signals used for two way travel need to be aligned.

I hope that’s clear. I’m often not good with words and better with pictures/showing directly. :P
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Gameplay Help”