Add capital/tool/something like that to recipe.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rafiz
Inserter
Inserter

Add capital/tool/something like that to recipe.

Post by Rafiz »

TL;DR
Game could provide API for items that are needed to craft something, but don't get used in process.
What ?
I thought kovarex process and some modded recipes could benefit from that suggestion being implemented.
Right now - 40 U-235 needs to be ingredient in Kovarex provess and it returns 41 U-235. If my suggestion was implemented, the recipe would require 40 U-235 and 2 U-238 as "capital/tool" that needs to be in machine and convert 3*U-238 into 1*U-235. You don't need to throw capital away and take back again each time recipe finishes.

... I already made image, but now I think it would work cooler if only 40 U-235 was "capital" U-238 could stay as it is (5 input->2 output)
Why ?
I think it's more logical, It simplifies player builds, it simplifies code (I guess.. I think right now kovarex process is only exception that needs to work differently with productivity modules than any other recipe)...

I also don't think it would be hard to implement. Basically add array of items "capital" to recipe, if it is missing (=nil), then it would default to {} , then if there's not enough items in "capital" slot machine would be in disabled state.

I actually don't think I made compelling enough argument to convince anyone (if I read it, I wouldn't be convinced by my "why?" paragraph), but I really think it would be interesting idea, probably simplifying/opening new routes for modders. Realism-based mods could use assemblers as machine frame and then require items, like example inserters for assembling complex engines/circuits , require electro-magnet for splitting dusts recipe, etc. Right now - they would need to make separate machine for every recipe, which is .. kind of work intensive. I would for sure use this feature in my mods.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Add capital/tool/something like that to recipe.

Post by ickputzdirwech »

To be honest I don’t understand your suggestion at all :?
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am
To be honest I don’t understand your suggestion at all :?
I think he means, that recipes should have a "catalyst"-field/slot, (he refers to it as capital). The idea being, you should be placing some item into the assembler, for it to work, like a module.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Ah yes, thank you. Now it makes sense to me.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Can’t modders achieve this affect with the multiple results and probabilities and all of that?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Is IMHO already implemented and is called “modules”. The only thing missing is, that modules can be directly inserted by inserters into module slots.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Or simply add those items to the machines construction recipe. It's not the same, but pretty close.

The Kovarex process would be pretty boring, though

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, that way becomes even closer with de-crafting mods like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchallUncraft . One exception : fluids.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”