Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Geothermal - A clean, but powerful power source all day long

Post by Pi-C »

Hi, Reika!
I've got this crash on loading the game:

Code: Select all

109.642 Mods to disable:Failed to load mods: Error while running setup for entity prototype "geothermal-heat-exchanger" (assembling-machine): Invalid fluid pipe connections: connections must all be at least 1 tile distance from each other.
assembling-machine fluidbox 2 connection 1 ends up being the same tile as assembling-machine fluidbox 2 connection 2.

Mods to be disabled:
• Geothermal (1.18.5)
• assembler-pipe-passthrough (0.1.16)
Would you mind blacklisting the geothermal-heat-exchanger with assembler-pipe-passthrough? You'd only have to add this line to data-updates.lua:

appmod.blacklist['geothermal-heat-exchanger'] = true
I can confirm that the game will load successfully after that change. Haven't tested in the game yet (running the game on another computer and forwarding the display via ssh is way too slow), but as it worked for other mods before, I suppose it will work for your mod as well.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Malidictus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Malidictus »

Random-seeming question, but - how does this mod work with existing campaigns? If I already have a map that's been generated and explored to some extent, THEN add this mod... Will Thermal patches turn up anywhere?

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Malidictus wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Random-seeming question, but - how does this mod work with existing campaigns? If I already have a map that's been generated and explored to some extent, THEN add this mod... Will Thermal patches turn up anywhere?
You will need to generate new chunks; I never added retrogen capability.

Malidictus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Malidictus »

Reika wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 am
You will need to generate new chunks; I never added retrogen capability.
So just exploring the map further has the potential to reveal geothermal patches? I wasn't expecting them to show up under my existing structures, of course :) Just wondering if I need to start a brand new game, or just expanding father from my currently explored map could generate those patches.

Hitman82
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hitman82 »

Reika I'm a huge fan of your Rotarycraft mod for Minecraft, it also remains one of my top visited video series on Youtube. Quite excited to discover you're making mods for my favorite game, Factorio. Definitely giving this (and some of your other mods) a try on a new world, thanks once again for your modding effort! Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, guess you need a fan thread or I need to learn to search forums better. :) Cheers from BC
Teamwork is the secret of success!

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Hitman82 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Reika I'm a huge fan of your Rotarycraft mod for Minecraft, it also remains one of my top visited video series on Youtube. Quite excited to discover you're making mods for my favorite game, Factorio. Definitely giving this (and some of your other mods) a try on a new world, thanks once again for your modding effort! Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, guess you need a fan thread or I need to learn to search forums better. :) Cheers from BC
:)

hoidnyc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hoidnyc »

What is the geothermal water filter for? I get a "no recipe" message if I click on it.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

hoidnyc wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:50 pm
What is the geothermal water filter for? I get a "no recipe" message if I click on it.
For removing the chemical impurities.

Catwlak_Tech
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Catwlak_Tech »

Sorry to bring an old strand back to life but had a question. While using the mod I noticed the filters had no recipe attached. Is this a glitch/error or is this just a unfinished feature I've stumbled upon?

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Are you using the mod together with alien biomes? Because AFAIK the filtering only is available when you have the differently colored patches.

Catwlak_Tech
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Catwlak_Tech »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:23 pm
Are you using the mod together with alien biomes? Because AFAIK the filtering only is available when you have the differently colored patches.
nope, not using alien biomes, is that what it's for?

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

It's one of the options of Geothermal, AFAIK only usable with alien biomes.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:44 pm
It's one of the options of Geothermal, AFAIK only usable with alien biomes.
Because AlienBiomes is what adds the colored volcanic biomes for which the colored geothermal patches were designed.

KILLALLHUMANZ1010
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KILLALLHUMANZ1010 »

i am having an issue with this mod when Industrial Revolution 2 is loaded. the technology remains locked even when the required technologies have been researched.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

KILLALLHUMANZ1010 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:51 am
i am having an issue with this mod when Industrial Revolution 2 is loaded. the technology remains locked even when the required technologies have been researched.
This sounds like the issue reported on the github a while ago, where the other mod was hiding technologies, making them unresearchable, but not removing those technologies from the dependency lists of other technologies.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hi Reika,

If you're still around, I was wondering if I could bring your attention back to this that I posted a while back:
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:24 am
Hi Reika,

I've reloaded this mod recently to try using again (it was conflicting with another mod). First, I wanted to say thanks for including the additional settings for controlling the frequency, etc of the geothermal vents.

That said, would it be possible for you to expand the minimum values or, perhaps better, decrease the default number of wells? Using Alien Biomes, on a map with all settings at default, the number of spawned geothermal vents is very high. Can't really use the land for much else.... :P

Geothermal frequency.png

I found your constants file and decreased your default value to make it all less dense (0.25 -> 0.01), though I imagine each time you update the mod this may be overwritten.
I wanted to see if you'd be willing to do 2 things with your mod:
  1. In your settings file, either eliminate (preferable) or significantly reduce (to at least 0.001) the minimum allowed value for the frequency setting.
  2. Add an extra setting for controlling the increase in frequency based on distance. Specifically, a setting that would allow the player to adjust the value "10" in the following line of code (from control.lua, line 219) to something else (minimum 1):

local f = f0*math.min(10, 1+(dd/1000))
These two factors as they are right now are what lead to really dense geothermal wells in regions further from the starting area. Even if you were to unlock the minimum value of the frequency setting, not implementing the second setting would just lead to almost non-existent geothermal wells in the regions close to the starting area in order to keep them under control in the regions further out.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

KILLALLHUMANZ1010
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KILLALLHUMANZ1010 »

I am hoping to make a compatibility mod between your mod and Industrial Revolution 2 but i am stuck with this code able to change the cost of the geothermal water filter but not the wells or the heat exchangers. I have tried everything i knew how to do and am still stuck. There is no error message anywhere but i am unable to change the recipes. Does your mod do something to the recipes that would keep this from working? If you would like the compatibility built-in to your mod that would be ideal and you can use my code.

local recipe_ingredients = {

["geothermal-well"] = {
{"steel-frame-large", 1},
{"electric-engine-unit", 60},
{"refined-concrete", 120},
{"invar-plate-special", 60},
{"cupronickel-plate-special", 60}
},
["geothermal-heat-exchanger"] = {

{"steel-pipe", 120},
{"invar-plate-special", 60},
{"cupronickel-plate-special", 60}
},
["geothermal-filter"] = {

{"steel-pipe", 200},
{"steel-rod", 60},
{"invar-plate-special", 30},
{"cupronickel-plate-special", 30}
}
}
for recipe, ingredients in pairs (recipe_ingredients) do
if data.raw.recipe[recipe] then
data.raw.recipe[recipe].ingredients = ingredients
end
end
DIR.remove_prereq_from_tech ("geothermal", "flammables")

Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 123499 »

Hey, I don't know if you are still around. But I've got a few suggestions for the mod.

- differentiate the icons, heat exchange base, with sulfur, with... And heat efficiency.
- hide the flipped version from hand crafting, so it does not fill with equally information on inventory.
- don't create the flipped recipes when fluid permutation is around .

Besides that, great mod! 👍

Return to “Reika's Mods”