Quick start save

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Malfunction
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Quick start save

Post by Malfunction »

TL;DR
Start saves with correct modpack from the Right-click context menu of Factorio.
What ?
As most of you would know, in Windows it is possible to start a 'recent' or 'pinned' file from the right-click menu of most programs (for Windows 10, either pinned to Start menu or opened/pinned in the Task bar).
For Excel from the task bar it looks like this:
(This is in Dutch, 'vastgemaakt' = pinned)
For Excel in this example, clicking any file would do the same as opening the file itself from any location (start Excel + load the file).

Factorio already 'knows' to (re)start the game, which mods to load and which save game to start after we use the 'Sync mods with save' button from the Load game menu.
If we could get the 'recent' or 'pinned' savegames for Factorio too, the action in the background should be 'Sync mods with this particular save', that is:
- Start the game with the correct mods
- Load the chosen save game
Why ?
If you switch between saves + modpacks a lot, you start the game, go to Single player - Load game - Sync mods with save - then wait for the modpacks to load up and the game to start.
This would greatly reduce the time needed from boot to being in your preferred save game.

Let me know what you think (and if this feasible)!
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed “from Windows” in title, because if implemented it must work for all platforms

Sh0keR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Quick start save from Windows

Post by Sh0keR »

This is a great idea, but I wouldn't recommend doing this way and it is not really related to windows.
So basically, the ability to create an exe file with launch options to quickly load into a save with the correct mods already loaded.
There are a couple of issues with this. How are you going to remember which exe file is related to what save. (from the user perspective)
What about having multiple saves for a single playthrough. (Sometimes I'd like to create a backup)

Maybe the solution is to launch a mini-app that allows you to select a save game from a list and load it. this will save you from loading into the game.

Malfunction
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Malfunction »

Hi Sh0ker thanks for your reply.
In other programs you see the file name. Saves have a file name too (same as the save game name) so I'd say to show the save game names. If you have a back-up that is not in your n last saves, you can just load it from the game itself.

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

Push. Just had the same idea. A button "Continue previous game" would be nice.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”