[1.1.49] Rocket Parts without silo researched

Bugs that are actually features.
ever_Lord
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.49] Rocket Parts without silo researched

Post by ever_Lord »

I guess its not a common use, but i may have found an inconsistency :
- if you can place a silo and get the 3 ingredients needed to build rocket parts, the silo will craft the rocket parts ;
- you don't need to research anything at all, or at least you don't have to do the "silo research" ;
- but in theory, the rocket parts are unlocked by the "silo research", so the silo shouldn't craft them.

That unusual case came in biter battles scenario (where you have to defend your silo from biters): this means you don't have to unlock the "silo research" to launch a rocket (which is not intended because sending a rocket is very powerful to win the game)

Going further :
I guess its intended but I found that with no prod modules nor speed beacons you can only add 20 ingredients in each of the 3 slots.
- with 4 prod modules 3, I still can insert 20 of each
- with 4 speed modules 3, I can insert 30 of each
- adding beacons speed modules 3 also increase the limit, going up to 70 of each (with speed modules in the silo too).
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2021-12-21 225608.png
Capture d’écran 2021-12-21 225608.png (80.39 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.49] Rocket Parts without silo researched

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ever_Lord wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:05 pm
Going further :
I guess its intended but I found that with no prod modules nor speed beacons you can only add 20 ingredients in each of the 3 slots.
- with 4 prod modules 3, I still can insert 20 of each
- with 4 speed modules 3, I can insert 30 of each
- adding beacons speed modules 3 also increase the limit, going up to 70 of each (with speed modules in the silo too).
I do believe this part is intended. I saw it mentioned elsewhere, though no idea where to find it now, that the game takes into account crafting speed and will bump up the max amount that can be stored so that inserters have a reasonable chance to keep it filled enough to avoid half second out of ingredient issues.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You can do the same thing by using cheats on assembling machines. After setting it up, it works perfectly even if you don't have the technology.

Code: Select all

/c game.player.selected.set_recipe("low-density-structure")

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

The thing is, you won't get any value in BiterBattles just by launching a rocket - you need satellite to get the white science, and that indeed needs the research to be done.

The recipe for rocket parts should be shown in tech screen as it is, as that should give the relevant info, regardless of the possible fakeness of existence of that recipe in the first place - there is no way to select that recipe in any building, rocket silo has it predefined every time, and thus even changing it to require the tech would mean that rocket silo would need to have another special screen to select the recipe at (so it can have "no recipe to select from" there, when applicable), and that would just overcomplicate things xD

I would personally vote for this to not be considered a bug, at least until we get possibility to build different types of rockets in the silo, so there would be need to select which one to build.... (and have you noticed that mods with more rockets just add another silo for each rocket type anyways?)

atomizer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by atomizer »

Hanakocz wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm
The recipe for rocket parts should be shown in tech screen as it is, as that should give the relevant info, regardless of the possible fakeness of existence of that recipe in the first place - there is no way to select that recipe in any building, rocket silo has it predefined every time, and thus even changing it to require the tech would mean that rocket silo would need to have another special screen to select the recipe at (so it can have "no recipe to select from" there, when applicable), and that would just overcomplicate things xD
The recipe is called "rocket-part", assigned to crafting category of "rocket-building" (in which the silo is the only member), and is actually unlocked by the rocket silo technology. It is hidden from crafting menus but it's a real recipe. Rocket silo has fixed_recipe = "rocket-part" in its prototype, so there is no recipe selection screen, but it is a type of assembling machine.

The bug this thread is about could be rephrased like this: buildings with fixed_recipe allow crafting disabled recipes. I think it is logical that a disabled recipe should not be available for crafting by any means.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

It could be argued one way or another,

But at this time, 'fixed_recipe' or an assembling machine, means it will always have that recipe, regardless of if it is hidden, unlocked, or researched

I will move this to not a bug

Return to “Not a bug”