New RTS game partially based on factorio mechanics

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
MindCrusader
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New RTS game partially based on factorio mechanics

Post by MindCrusader »

Hey everyone.

I am really big fan of RTS games and Factorio. I love both fighting, strategical thinking and designing. But Factorio's mechanics is quiet unique, especially in RTS genre (that is slowly coming back to the market)

My game idea:
RTS game, let's say basic one. Few different resource types. Races. Technology trees, wide range of units (maybe the tree-based unlocking / resources needed too, like kinetic weapons, laser weapons etc.). Add to that multiplayer as a main thing.

The new thing would be custom buildings / factories that are based on factorio mechanics:
1. We have basic buildings created by devs
2. We can create custom buildings before the RTS game (we have edit building mode where we can setup the production with belts, pipes, pomps, inserters etc). This affects the amount and type of resources created as well as cost of the custom building

Why i think it could be really cool?
1. RTS are cool in general :)
2. We have possibility to enjoy some factorio mechanics in a new way
3. We can both optimise and try out different builds that can affect how we play and if we do good or not.
4. Due to the above point, the competitive scene would be really interesting to watch and play. Every game could be different, because players can change production chains, optimise the output of factories. Is the enemy team / player have a new design that will affect the game? Will they again go for factories that helps creating fast, laser units or this time will go for kinetic, long range weapons?
5. For casual players there would be default, base buildings, which doesn't limit the gameplay by much, but if they want to be better or rank up in MM games, they would have to design their own buildings or use schemas shared by other players

The game could be really long lived given the possibility to change meta all the time by designing new factories all the time. If the game is successful, there could be more units / resources or changes for them too keep resetting the meta for each season

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: New RTS game partially based on factorio mechanics

Post by posila »

Probably not what you imagined, but ... https://store.steampowered.com/app/977650/DwarfHeim/

MindCrusader
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: New RTS game partially based on factorio mechanics

Post by MindCrusader »

posila wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:32 am
Probably not what you imagined, but ... https://store.steampowered.com/app/977650/DwarfHeim/
Yeah, had this game on wishlist :) The idea was quite good, but requires few people to play in same team to make it working and they have to do so much different things, that queue time for randoms will be a pain. My idea is more about solo players that doesn't need to depend on other players. I wanted to play DwarfHeim, but I don't like idea of playing with randoms and my friends are not interested in this game. Due to that fact DwarfHeim will be not popular I guess.

My idea for the game is to introduce factorio's mechanism as a way to create new ways of playing the game, but at the same time, it wouldn't require a lot of time. The core gameplay would be normal RTS, so players not interested in factorio like plays, will have fun too

Return to “Off topic”