[1.1.46] Inconsistent zoom in different resolutions

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
AdamK
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.46] Inconsistent zoom in different resolutions

Post by AdamK »

I'm often swithing between resolutions.

In map mode, there seem to be inconsistent point when zooming out and the switch from radar mode/map mode.

This are screenshots in different resolutions, with the zoom maxed out in radar mode (next zoom step would swith to map mode):

3440x1440 res:
Factorio Screenshot 3440x1440.png
Factorio Screenshot 3440x1440.png (10.56 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
1920x1080 res:
Factorio Screenshot 1920x1080.png
Factorio Screenshot 1920x1080.png (4.64 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
Note that in 1920x1080 we can se more vertically (and probably horizontally, but I'm not 100% sure) than in 3440x1440.

I'd expect to be able to ses at least as much vertically in both resolutions.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.46] Inconsistent zoom in different resolutions

Post by Silari »

The game limits how far you can see in any one direction. When using an ultra-wide (or multiple screens), that means you see less vertical space since the max zoom is clamped lower to only allow (roughly) the same amount of horizontal space. The game needs to do this because it only renders a certain distance out from the player for performance reasons.

Can't find the dev posts on it, but it's mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37962

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

The game uses vert- scaling, as mentioned above. It's inconvenient at 32:9, but I usually end up using alt+enter if I'm doing something where I need vertical FOV (biters, mostly).

AdamK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AdamK »

With GPU advancement over the years, thos could be revised (or at least made an option in settings).

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

AdamK wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:59 am
With GPU advancement over the years, thos could be revised (or at least made an option in settings).
It's less about that and more about CPU performance and multiplayer. As it is, the game doesn't "simulate" certain details of things off-screen. If it were to do that for any arbitrary aspect ratio, the game would have to keep a larger area around the player character active. Perhaps a[n entry in the] hidden settings menu to show anyway and just deal with the weirdness but I can understand why it is the way it is.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

lyvgbfh wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:04 am
It's less about that and more about CPU performance and multiplayer. As it is, the game doesn't "simulate" certain details of things off-screen.
The game simulates everything, you can zoom out using console commands or in the editor mode
AdamK wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:07 am
I'd expect to be able to ses at least as much vertically in both resolutions.
So the problem is related to the granularity of the cut off point, there is some calculation of how much you can see, based on the maximum screen dimension. So its something like 200 tiles.
The problem with the chart zooming, is that the cut off points are not perfectly aligned with the maximum zoom, so sometimes you can reach 0.1 zoom before switching, other times just 0.15 zoom before switching

You can test this by zooming out in the map as much as possible, then using 'END' (keyboard zoom) to zoom out some more

For now, I will move this to minor issues, as we are not intersted in changing the system of how we handle the zoom at this tiem

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 am

The game simulates everything, you can zoom out using console commands or in the editor mode
I thought biter waking behavior was partially based around player sight?

Return to “Minor issues”