spam

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

spam

Post by cube »

The time has come, I had to delete first threads on this forum ... and I feel a little bad for censoring someone :-)

So for all the mods around here (I don't have much overview about who that is now): If there is a post that contains just spam, delete it, if the user didn't make any reasonable posts before posting spam, ban them.

</being_evil>

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: spam

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Rigth decission. Do not feel bad about it.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:Rigth decission. Do not feel bad about it.
+1

As a network administrator, I deleted thousands of emails each day (difference is that I've outsourced it to an appliance :) )
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

One very important thing (in my opinion)
Please mention who, why and where something / someone was deleted / banned. Banning is okay, but please be transparent and give a reason and a history / log for everything you do. That's an important thing for being respected and thrusted.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

If someone registers today and as a first post posts something that is obviously spam, I don't care one bit about any kind of documentation or communication. That person (or bot) isn't interested in being any part of a community but just wants to peddle his stuff.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Yes, but you prevent any kind of problems with other things, like misunderstandings and confusion (due to "What the? Where has that one thread gone???").

Just deleting without any notes is not good. It's like with politics: Thea should do anything for us. We should not need laws against corruption, because they don't do this. Well, that's at least the assumption, but the real life looks quite different. Yes, the developers might be legit, and I trust them, but other people might not, especially new users. They could raise this trust even with new people if they log anything administrative they do, be it deleting spammers or just warn users.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Nova wrote:Yes, but you prevent any kind of problems with other things, like misunderstandings and confusion (due to "What the? Where has that one thread gone???").
For not so clear issues you are right, this may and should be docuented, but if one (people or bot) do in his first ever thread/post put links to *Buy this awsome heating plate and also get some cool viruses* then there is no documentation needed. I would like to post a link to an game forum (but i do not), where such things are not deleted. You would not like the sight :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

They should be deleted, but just not without any note. Or they could just be moved into a special "trash" subforum.
Greetings, Nova.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Nova wrote:They should be deleted, but just not without any note. Or they could just be moved into a special "trash" subforum.
even the obvious spam-bot posts and accounts? I PM you the mentioned forum. Take a look if you want this things even in a trash forum ....

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

IMO, create a trash area where only mods+ can see it. And move all the "deleted" topics, to that area.

I've always used this in my previous communities.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Normal users also should see it, but not being able to write.
Greetings, Nova.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I have written mail, that a new board will be created.

I think other users should not have access to this board, cause this is what a spammer wants: Some entries in a search-engine, that brings him higher in rank.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

I'd like to be mod, just for this reason. (Banning spammers)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

(some) Spam threads land in my RSS reader anyway,
being able to open it instead of gettin an error won't hurt.

1) Can't you make the SPAM section visible to all logged-in users?

2) I also remember seeing search engines used special "bot" accounts.
Can't it be hidden only from those?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

It's possible to hide things from the bots of google and co, but that's not what should be important. Links of banned people or spam threads can be safely deleted.
Greetings, Nova.

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by User_Name »

Best way to fend off spam is to have custom question in the registration form.
Current ("Please select the highest number") is off the shelf, thus solvable by any decent spam software.
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

spacesloth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spacesloth »

User_Name wrote:Best way to fend off spam is to have custom question in the registration form.
Current ("Please select the highest number") is off the shelf, thus solvable by any decent spam software.
I got the question wrong when I registered so I highly doubt some "super computer" could solve it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MF- wrote:1) Can't you make the SPAM section visible to all logged-in users?
Possible, of course.
2) I also remember seeing search engines used special "bot" accounts.
Can't it be hidden only from those?
Hm. Good spiders create an account in the forum to tell the forum, that they are spiders, to bring the spiders eventually into an own usergroup.

Well, this is a pure administrative task. But I doubt a little bit, that there is enough interest from the admin-side, to make such complicated rules...

But anyone can send mail to factorio@factiorio.com and explain, how this might work.

But for me these are clear priorities:
1. As long, as there is no such board I will delete that posts and hope the other moderators too.
2. When there is a board for that, I will move it of course there.
3. The transparency is then the next target, but it is for from my sight not important. But of course needed, to avoid stupid mistakes, or misusing rights.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”