Option to hide player name on minimap

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Infern0mike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Option to hide player name on minimap

Post by Infern0mike »

Hi,

First of all, grea tjob with the new version and its countless new features!

One small thing that bothers me about the new version though is that there seems to be no way to hide the player name on the minimap. Is there maybe a LUA command for this? I tried
/c game.local_player.name=""
but received the error "LuaGameScript doesn't contain key local_player".

While the displaying of player names is obviously a good thing in multiplayer games, it is pointless (in my opinion) in single player games. It takes up a lot of space and I would much rather see what's underneath my player name on the minimap instead.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option to hide player name on minimap

Post by daniel34 »

The code is

Code: Select all

/c game.player.name = "asdf"
It will rename your spot on the map and the 'Built by' tags on entities (at least in singleplayer).

Renaming the player to "" (empty name) will hide the name on the minimap.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Infern0mike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Infern0mike »

Thanks, that works. However, this blocked all the achievements, since a LUA command was used. Not a big deal, but it would probably be a good idea to offer players another way of hiding the player name while keeping the possibility of reaching achievements.

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

This doesn't work. I ran the command, it said achievements were disabled, but my name still appears as is on the map.

Note: This is the first result on google for hide player names factorio which is why I am bumping it. If someone could post a working answer in this thread for Factorio 1.1 that would help future searchers.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

jackthesmack wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm
This doesn't work. I ran the command, it said achievements were disabled, but my name still appears as is on the map.

Note: This is the first result on google for hide player names factorio which is why I am bumping it. If someone could post a working answer in this thread for Factorio 1.1 that would help future searchers.
First problem: You need to run the command TWICE. The first time it doesn't actually run, just prints the warning so players don't accidentally ruin their game.
Second problem: player name is now read only so the command still won't work.

But it's not needed anyway. There's an option on the map screen to turn off player names. Looks like the character, last button top row on my game. Hides the name in the map and minimap when off.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”