[MOD 0.15|0.14] Rail Tanker - Liquid transport 1.4.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.11.x] Rail Tanker - Liquid transport

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:Rail Tanker don't want to work in my game. Very often pumps don't want connect with tanks, sometimes they start working when I replace them but when next train arrive, they stop
The wagons are tracked by state change (a new feature in 0.11) so I probably did something stupid and missed a state. I'll have look.
Edit: Can you post the save this is happening in? Are the trains on automatic? Is it easy to reproduce and if so can you post the steps? I'm struggling to find this issue.
Neotix wrote:Also that mess with wagons length cause problems (3rd tanker is more or less in the middle between grid).
Does this still happen with 0.0.2? I thought i fixed it yesterday?

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

JamesOFarrell wrote:Does this still happen with 0.0.2? I thought i fixed it yesterday?
I switched to 0.0.2 yesterday but the problem persisted. (I tried removing and recreating the tankers in-case something was saved but this didn't help.)

I was planning on making a new (clean) save today to see if I can recreate the issue but haven't had time yet. (Third tanker is positioned right between the two pumps and neither connect.) I tried to highlight this in the screenshot but it may have gotten cut-off. Link Look at the position of the oil for the third tanker. (I never had a problem with the other two.)

I could take another screenshot but nothing appeared to change in 0.0.2. (I now have two, two-tanker trains running instead.)
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Ok, I've just loaded Neotix save game (so many mods) and I can see the issue now (for both of you). What is happening is the storage tank is being placed down when the train stops but the link between it and the wagon is getting lost somewhere (i think at save) so the proxy never gets destroyed. After this happens there are some invisible storage tanks on the tracks next to the pumps stopping other invisible storage tanks from connecting to the pump. I'll got a a new version up soon with a quick fix then see if I can find the bug so it can't happen again. Sorry about this.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

New version posted. This should fix the tracking issue. I've tested with Neotix's save so I know that works, please post your save is you are still having issues MasterBuilder.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

JamesOFarrell wrote:New version posted. This should fix the tracking issue. I've tested with Neotix's save so I know that works, please post your save is you are still having issues MasterBuilder.
Quick test save with the bug. (Only using this mod [0.0.3] & base 0.11.3)

Load game, (train is in motion). Train arrives at 'oil' to the right. Neither of the two pumps (on the left) will fill the left-most tanker. The two other tankers will fill though.
Train then goes left to 'ref'. Neither of the two pumps on the right will pump out oil from the right-most tanker.

If you save & load while the train is stopped at either station the dual pumps will both connect and work as intended.

EDIT: Saving and loading only fixes the pump ONCE while the train is at that station. If the train leaves and comes back the pumps are broken again till another save/load cycle.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

MasterBuilder wrote:EDIT: Saving and loading only fixes the pump ONCE while the train is at that station. If the train leaves and comes back the pumps are broken again till another save/load cycle.
This is an odd one. It looks like it should be connecting but it is not, if you rotate the pump around 360 they connect fine. I've posted a new version that cheats to get around this issue. All tankers have 2 slightly offset connection points now so you should get at least 1 pump connection per-side but you will get 2 on most.

A solution to this issue it to shrink the wagon every so slightly so this problem goes away, I will try and find some time to do that. The better solution is to create a new pump for the tanker that either moves around slightly or has multiple connection points itself. This is how I would like to address the issue in the future but modeling is such a pain.

Sorry about all the fuck around, because of the odd length I rendered the sprites at there are so many connection points that i need to account for. I can now see why inserters are designed to reach slightly off center.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Thanks for a wonderfully useful mod. I've got some big plans for my train network with this.

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

So I have been playing around with Rail Tankers while moving my main base's location and I decided that it was not pumping oil into and out of the cars fast enough for my liking so I went to use faster versions, specifically in this case the ones from Dytech and discovered that they would not cause the cars to empty/fill. They would continue to empty/fill the car if it was already stopped but the next time I pulled the train into the station it would not do so again. Is there a specific reason that the mod is looking for entity.name == "small-pump" and not entity.type == "pump"?

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

JLBShecky wrote:So I have been playing around with Rail Tankers while moving my main base's location and I decided that it was not pumping oil into and out of the cars fast enough for my liking so I went to use faster versions, specifically in this case the ones from Dytech and discovered that they would not cause the cars to empty/fill. They would continue to empty/fill the car if it was already stopped but the next time I pulled the train into the station it would not do so again. Is there a specific reason that the mod is looking for entity.name == "small-pump" and not entity.type == "pump"?
When i wrote the mod i thought that the larger pumps in dytech are 2 tiles instead of one so i decided against trying to detect them. Recently someone (Malachite again!) asked my to fix it and I told him to change that line, it did not work. I think you also need to increase the findentityfiltered line from 1.5 to 2.2 or something to get it to work. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through rewriting the detecting method so i'll make sure to install dytech before i upload and test it. Please let me know if changing the line causes them to work and I'll include it for the next patch

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

JamesOFarrell wrote:When i wrote the mod i thought that the larger pumps in dytech are 2 tiles instead of one so i decided against trying to detect them. Recently someone (Malachite again!) asked my to fix it and I told him to change that line, it did not work. I think you also need to increase the findentityfiltered line from 1.5 to 2.2 or something to get it to work. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through rewriting the detecting method so i'll make sure to install dytech before i upload and test it. Please let me know if changing the line causes them to work and I'll include it for the next patch
Well I have never used the larger "Mainline" pipes and pumps that Dytech Metallurgy adds, so I never even considered them, but I just did a quick test world and they are 3x3 not 1x1 so they are a fringe case that I had not thought of when I was looking into the issue, which all in all I am not all that surprised about. I thought that there might be some reason for you choice that I was not aware of and it was indeed the case, it is not like it is something that is all that hard to change if one so desires for their own game usage.

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

I would like to mention my point of view concerning the capacity of the rail tanks.

Looking at the complexity possible with a railway network and signals there is not realy a need for tremendous amounts of liquid capacity in one single wagon. Even with a single rail line you can have at least 3 trains circling (one in each station an one on it's way) if you use the rail signals as intended. If you're industry complex is big enough to deal with those amounts of liquid it should be easy to set up a single-way railnetwork which gives you pretty much the capacity of unlimited trains in your rail network.
In this regard even less capacity would be sufficient.

In terms of efficiency it would be interesting to make the unloading faster. As long as a train is in motion it creates money (in a metaphoric sense), while it just sits there waiting for unloading, it loses money. Of couse, more capaity also is an increase of efficiency. In my humble opinion it is more satisfying to overcome some problems than getting everthing for free. At least this is the meaning of a good game, right?

Greetings from Germany

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

This is a good mod thank you.

berni1212
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by berni1212 »

Hello!

Your Mod is really cool but we have one Problem whe have 1 Damaged Oiltank Trailer and if we try to Remove/Break him the Gamecrashes.,

We play at factorio 0.11.5

Can u Plz fix it thanks Sir
Sorry for my bad English ! i will not remove it !
WIP Test MODS
RailTanker [MP WIP]

ArachnidXIII
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArachnidXIII »

I have a rail tanker ferrying Lubricant to and from my bases, causing desyncs overtime it stops to empty

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

berni1212 wrote:Hello!
Your Mod is really cool but we have one Problem whe have 1 Damaged Oiltank Trailer and if we try to Remove/Break him the Gamecrashes.,
ArachnidXIII wrote:I have a rail tanker ferrying Lubricant to and from my bases, causing desyncs overtime it stops to empty
Can you guys post the saves? I'll have a look at them and try to work out whats going on.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

berni1212 wrote:Can u Plz fix it thanks Sir
If this was an error on line 224 it should be fixed now. Without the error message I can't be sure. New version in first post.

berni1212
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by berni1212 »

The ERROR IS :
Error while running the event handler: __RailTanker__\control:lua224:Given entity doesn't exist anymore

This error happens if we tr to break it or destory it if it gets damaged nothing Happens but if u Try to Mine it or destroy it u get that Error by Destorying your Gamecrash
without error

Bei Mining it comes the Error and if u press on ESc it goes away but it stays and if u Press on Okay then it drops u in the MENU :( without saving :?
WIP Test MODS
RailTanker [MP WIP]

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

berni1212 wrote:The ERROR IS :
Error while running the event handler: __RailTanker__\control:lua224:Given entity doesn't exist anymore

This error happens if we tr to break it or destory it if it gets damaged nothing Happens but if u Try to Mine it or destroy it u get that Error by Destorying your Gamecrash
without error

Bei Mining it comes the Error and if u press on ESc it goes away but it stays and if u Press on Okay then it drops u in the MENU :( without saving :?
Try 0.0.5, i added a check to that line so even if it fails it shouldn't crash your game

berni1212
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by berni1212 »

berni1212 wrote:The ERROR IS :

without error

Still Happening :/
WIP Test MODS
RailTanker [MP WIP]

Return to “Mods”