Noob: how to add Label/Icon on map?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Trblz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Noob: how to add Label/Icon on map?

Post by Trblz »

I've seen people adding <iron> label/icon to an iron patch or an iron pickup station on the map view.
However I can't seem to find the keybinding for this?
My Mod list: Necormant co-author

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Noob: how to add Label/Icon on map?

Post by impetus maximus »

left mouse click on the map. you can enter a name and select an icon.

welcome to the forums. :)

Firemonkey1412
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firemonkey1412 »

Is there a lua command to add icons? We want to autoadd some icons on some entities.

Firemonkey1412
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firemonkey1412 »

great, thx :)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Is there something like LuaForce.add_chart_tag for individual players, so that the tag on the map can only be seen by one particular player, not everybody else on the same force?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Is there something like LuaForce.add_chart_tag for individual players, so that the tag on the map can only be seen by one particular player, not everybody else on the same force?
If you ask me then no, it's force.add_chart_tag(surface, tag), but for your needs it must be player.add_chart_tag(surface, tag) or force.add_chart_tag(surface, tag, player)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm
If you ask me then no, it's force.add_chart_tag(surface, tag), but for your needs it must be player.add_chart_tag(surface, tag) or force.add_chart_tag(surface, tag, player)
That's what I already suspected. Looks like I've to make another API request. :-)

In the same context: Vehicles are marked on the map with that triangle icon. Am I guessing right that there is no way to change that icon for individual vehicles? I'd like to turn it into an icon of the entity in some cases, so if mods providing new vehicles are used, it could be easily seen what kind of vehicle is at a specific location. It's just a rough idea I came up with this evening, so I'm still trying to find out if it's possible at all …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:59 pm
In the same context: Vehicles are marked on the map with that triangle icon. Am I guessing right that there is no way to change that icon for individual vehicles? I'd like to turn it into an icon of the entity in some cases, so if mods providing new vehicles are used, it could be easily seen what kind of vehicle is at a specific location. It's just a rough idea I came up with this evening, so I'm still trying to find out if it's possible at all …
Never tried, but:
Wiki: Vehicle#minimap_representation

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Not quite what I need, I'm afraid: minimap_representation seems to be only available in prototype definitions. Now, my mod works with any vehicle of type "car". So I could use data-final-fixes.lua to find all entities of that type and add/modify their minimap_representation. But that would change the appearance of all vehicles of that entity.name on the map, I guess. Thanks nevertheless! :-)

oledad127
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by oledad127 »

re: 2017 answer to adding labels on the map -- (left click on map) . . . has this changed in 2021? Am I missing an option on game controls? I left-click on map and nothing happens (earlier versions, this worked). Thanks.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

oledad127 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:26 pm
re: 2017 answer to adding labels on the map -- (left click on map) . . . has this changed in 2021?
In map mode there is an "add tag" button under the minimap. The "tags" button has to be active for them to be shown.

oledad127
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by oledad127 »

>Loewchen ~ Thanks! The "add tag" is new to me (I haven't played since .17 and I just overlooked this -- either it's new or I simply forgot).

Sajuuk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sajuuk »

but say for example that i want to have the tags and train station labels enabled while in game, can it be posible ?

example:

(reed image desc.)

thanks!
Attachments
have this labels
have this labels
20211122175630_1.jpg (199.36 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
to be seen into the game
to be seen into the game
20211122175635_1.jpg (580.26 KiB) Viewed 8847 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You can't have map tags on the non-map view. But there are many mods for signs and plates like: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IndustrialDisplayPlates

d0t
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by d0t »

Attach Notes is also related.

Return to “Gameplay Help”