[1.1.39][mac]Relentless crashes on startup

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
zachmeyer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.39][mac]Relentless crashes on startup

Post by zachmeyer »

Ever since installing 1.1.39, startup crashes have become the norm. If I'm lucky, I am able to start the game on 1 out of 5 attempts. I've also experienced other crashes, and my long-running game has become unplayable. Recently I had a very bad crash when clicking on an item in a Spidertron equipment grid, and the game would not start at all, aafter something like 40+ tries. I deleted Factorio and my user folder (after making backups), downloaded the 1.1.39 installer, and started from scratch. Same results, had to try a bunch of times to even get to the main menu. Eventually I was able to make a new sandbox game, which crashed when I saved it. Factorio was solid and reliable up through 1.1.38, and now it's a disaster for me. Please help!
Attachments
Sandbox 1.zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
crash on startup.rtf
(66.79 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
factorio-current.log
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.39][mac]Relentless crashes on startup

Post by Klonan »

Can you try turning off the main menu simulation in the config file, and see if that stops it from crashing on the main menu?

In config.ini, change:

Code: Select all

; Options: true, false
; show-game-simulations-in-background=true
to

Code: Select all

; Options: true, false
show-game-simulations-in-background=false

zachmeyer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zachmeyer »

That definitely helped! It is now reliably getting to the main menu. Still crashing in the game, seems to be inventory-reated. I created a new game, placed a burner inserter, and then in the inventory panel I shift-clicked to move wood into the inserter. The game crashed immediatly. Should I post that as a separate issue? Files are attached.
Attachments
factorio-current shift click.log
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Crash on shift click.rtf
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
New Game 1.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 143 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

There is no need for new report, it is still the same issue: some logic (that is faulty) related to equpment grid is being run when doing stack transfers as in some cases when a grid is open this can be used to fill the grid. The same issue was with background simulations as in some of the scenes there are scripted parts that insert some equipment and this was causing the crash in main menu.

This fault is due to usage of std::uncaught_exceptions method which looks to be not provided by the libc++ in macOS 10.11.6. A fix was already applied to use std::uncaught_exception instead so this issue should be fixed in 1.1.40.

zachmeyer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zachmeyer »

OK, thanks! The background sim workaround allows me to play the game until the next release. I appreciate the quick responses to my questions!

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

zachmeyer wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 pm
OK, thanks! The background sim workaround allows me to play the game until the next release. I appreciate the quick responses to my questions!
1.1.40 was already released (as experimental) when you sent this message.

zachmeyer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zachmeyer »

boskid wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:46 am
1.1.40 was already released (as experimental) when you sent this message.
Oops, I didn't notice that! Regardless, I now have the 1.1.41 update installed and everything is working good so far. No crashes at startup or when using equipment grids. Thanks again!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”