Allow gui_arrow to point to offscreen targets, like Alerts

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Allow gui_arrow to point to offscreen targets, like Alerts

Post by Stringweasel »

Current Behaviour
Currently when you draw an arrow using set_gui_arrow. It looks like this for both types entity and position.

However, when the arrow moves off screen it dissapears, and you have no idea where the arrow (or your goal) is.

The Suggestion
Add an additional parameter to allow such arrows to point to offscreen targets, similar to alerts. This will not break any existing implementations.

It's not possible to easily mimic this using alerts because the alert arrows only show when hovering over the alert icon.

Use Cases
- It will help story/mission driven mods to create better markers to offscreen targets without having to go to map view.
- Point an arrow to your car that you lost and you can run to it, without having to go to map view, or struggle to keep you cursor on the alert.
- In my Demolision Derby mod I want to have arrows point to players when they're offscreen for better map awareness.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Allow gui_arrow to point to offscreen targets, like Alerts

Post by Xorimuth »

+1 this would be very useful for my mod Factory Search.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Modding interface requests”