mute the game while alt-tabbed

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: mute the game while alt-tabbed

Post by MarvinCZ »

posila wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:39 am
However, what I wanted to say in my aggrevatingly written post was that I, personally, don't want to get into implementing suggestions or requests that assess the difficulty of implementation.
That’s why I suggest to at least add posibility to map a keyboard shortcut for sound mute/unmute.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

bormand wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:02 am
nuhll wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:05 am
I dont have any programming knowledge i just wanted to help. Thats why i searched it and instant found something. I thought it might be helpfull.
I'm sorry for being rude, but do you think devs can't google themselves?

The real cost of a feature is not an implementation, which might be rather trivial, but research, testing and support. If you add a feature, you must support it for years across many hardware and software configurations. People will blame you if something doesn't work 5 years later with a heavily customized OS and/or broken hardware. So, prepare to spend your time reading bug reports. And random snippets from the internet usually lack some important details, so prepare to spend some time searching for known bugs and pitfalls.

If you had more experience with programming, that hidden cost should be quite obvious to you.
Sometime the most easy thing is overlooked or overcomplicated so seeing it from another perspective could open new thoughts (sorry my english)

You could still add a feature and say its unsupported. (like rotate blueprint)

Anyway i also suggested adding a hotkey, but like its now its perfect, working 100%. Just a ltitle hard to activate.

You guys are always my heros for listening to customers and perfect optimizing. Sadly this topic was so rude.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

yes pls, +1 for the feature

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 am
they already said no. i think this oughtta be removed to "Won't Implement".

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MarvinCZ »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:46 pm
imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 am
they already said no. i think this oughtta be removed to "Won't Implement".
Maybe I am missing something but devs didn’t say no. There were also another solution proposals (like shortcut, etc.).

So please don’t be so quick with jumping to conclusions.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I find it funny that some of you are so bent on wanting them to implement a "feature" that would increase the "user experience" of not playing the game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Klonan has moved this to not implemented, on report of someone.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

If it was an option that players could choose to enable/disable, I'd be for it.

Edit: Oh, failed to notice 5 pages and that it has been moved to the "will not implement" section. Sorry, followed a link here.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

you can do it, theres a hidden option somewhere and it works like a charm (i dont udnerstand why they dont put a checkbox somewhere tho)

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

nuhll wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:20 pm
you can do it, theres a hidden option somewhere and it works like a charm (i dont udnerstand why they dont put a checkbox somewhere tho)
because directsound-global-focus a) only works in Windows, b) only when the audio is using directsound, and c) they have no desire to support any issues that might cause. Which posila brought up in this very thread.

It can be set ingame using 'the rest' button, along with the other non-supported options.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

what you mean with rest button?

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Hold Ctrl+Alt when pressing the Settings button on the main menu and a new button will appear called 'The rest' - it has all (or at least most) of the unsupported settings in it. Basically anything you can set in the config.ini but isn't in one of the other setting menus.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

uuuuuuuuuuuuuu thats new?

but the "mute game while not in focus" is not in there, or am i blind?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

nuhll wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:02 pm
I believe, based on Silari's post, you are looking for directsound-global-focus, which is there.

That said, it is enabled for me (by default, I think), and has no affect. Of course, I'm not using directsound, so that may be why.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

nuhll wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:02 pm
uuuuuuuuuuuuuu thats new?

been there for years as a way to access normally confi.ini only settings.

directsound-global-focus is the last option in the sound settings section in 1.1.48 for me. Things are named exactly the same as the config.ini setting - there are no pretty names there because they're not generally meant to be used.

Unchecking the option and restarting will make the game not output sound when not in focus. At least in windows, when using directsound, if it works properly.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:35 pm
I believe, based on Silari's post, you are looking for directsound-global-focus, which is there.

That said, it is enabled for me (by default, I think), and has no affect. Of course, I'm not using directsound, so that may be why.
Enabled means it has sounds globally even when not focused. Disabling it means only when the app is focused. It's just setting the GlobalFocus property on the DirectSound buffer presumably.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Silari wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Enabled means it has sounds globally even when not focused. Disabling it means only when the app is focused. It's just setting the GlobalFocus property on the DirectSound buffer presumably.
Ah! I misunderstood the intent of the setting. Enabled is good for me. Sometimes I like starting the game and leaving it at the main menu while in NPP modding anyway!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

DirectSound doesn't even exist in DirectX anymore, so there's that.. it's only available if you're stuck in the past on Windows 7.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

DirectSound still exists, and it's in Win 10. It's just deprecated, not removed.

I'm on win 10 and the option works fine.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Silari wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:08 am
DirectSound still exists, and it's in Win 10. It's just deprecated, not removed.

I'm on win 10 and the option works fine.
ah, it was removed but it's now emulated via Xsound2 with a resulting increase in latency & CPU use. no more hardware acceleration. better off not using it on marginal hw or if running a large base sub-60 UPS.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

Is this feature really that hard to implement?.. Many games have it like Path of Exile, Dota 2, even saw it in Darkest Dungeon... If I didn't knew, I would bet everything that Factorio is one of the games where it definitely should have been as I think many people often stay AFK... As for me, every time I play Factorio there is a volume mixer next to it, and sometimes I'm too lazy to switch and play without sound which does reduce experience from game... :<

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”