Spidertron speed buff

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Spidertron speed buff

Post by ptx0 »

Qon wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:13 pm
Xoriun wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 pm
But you want the only big disadvantage of the spidertron compared to the player, car and tank to be removed, so it becomes better in any regard. That's was my point and it still stands.
Get some perspective. Spidertron is the highest tech item in the game, it's not valid trying to make early game tech like cars and tanks be comparable in any regard. It should be superior in every way to those.
yeah, like how many of them would say that stack inserters negate the utility of burner inserters in a detrimental way?

the tech tree is about progress. spiders are expensive.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I think the problem is different play philosophies. Others want to keep combat aspect during the game even in endgame and others like that focus of the game moves from surviving through organized defense, active attacking to conquer area and resources to fully automated defense at endgame so that player can concentrate to build megabases without getting disturbed by biters. There is naturally no working compromise between groups. Latter style needs extreme powerful and fast ways to move, clear land and build entities which are overpowered for former style players.

Maybe gamemode could affect the speed and energy efficiency of spidertron, power armors, bots etc. Maybe there could be for example infinite research for those things in building focused mode but limited research in combat focused mode.

I prefer change of focus in all games which have building and combat parts. Combat fits in early and mid game but its role should decrease at end game and "overpowered" weapons and defenses are part of that progression. Therefore peaceful or disabling biters is not a good option. They belong to beginning and also alternative resource demand for automated defense makes endgame more interesting.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it’s much simpler: Spidy looks just silly when running so fast. :D I’ve been using a mod to put about 30 eco-sceletons in it. The result looks ridiculous, I have been laughing for a minute. :lol: 8-)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:36 am
I think it’s much simpler: Spidy looks just silly when running so fast. :D I’ve been using a mod to put about 30 eco-sceletons in it. The result looks ridiculous, I have been laughing for a minute. :lol: 8-)
There is a whole world between "feels sluggish to the point it starts to be unfun" and "Exoskeleton abuse weeeee". There should be a middle ground in between. The issue is not necessarily that it is slow, rather it feels slow. Kind of the way you feel getting back to a modest 300hp BMW when you've been driving a 1000hp supercar for an extended period of time (driving sim game obviously, I'm not that rich). The BMW is OK, but feels sooo slow when compared to what you've been used to. When used to the other transportation systems, any one except exoskelettonless walking, the spider sill feel slow.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:36 am
It may be your opinion, but I think most building oriented players would accept silly looking spider if they saved several tens of hours freetime in their long games. It takes couple of workdays to clear 20 square kilometers with vanilla spiderton (I tried it once) and more days to wait (or afk) until ridiculously underpowered construction bots build million concrete tiles with couple of tens of thousands of entities. Slow moving and building do not give any interesting gaming mechanics or balance when you make >1000 SPM production facilities but are just annoying waiting and immersion breaking afk periods.

It is relatively easy to overcome with commands and mods so it is not severe problem at all but I consider it still bad balancing with artificial waiting. Intentionally programmed waits are never good if time is not actual resource in the game. In Factorio it is not with normal settings.

Return to “Balancing”