Griefing: a modest proposal

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

i-make-robots
Inserter
Inserter

Griefing: a modest proposal

Post by i-make-robots »

In multiplayer the problem is trolls. Turning something or tweaking an assembler shows "last touched by". Deleting an item leaves no trace. Therefore the #1 method of trolling is to remove something. This has a side effect that many servers won't let new players remove items until they have x minutes experience. For example, I play on a server that knows me and the players trust me and yet I have to work around the time limit because the system is automatically paranoid.

SO I imagine a mod/core element that creates a new kind of ghost I call a Memento.

- Memento shows what used to be there.
- bots do not "fill in" Mementos.
- Mementos disappear after a configurable time, same as old normal-ghosts.
- Mementos disappear when something new is placed over top.
- Mementos cannot be deleted manually.
- Mementos' "last touched by" indicates who deleted the thing that is memorializes (mements?)
- Mementos should be distinguished from normal ghosts. Tinted only the blue channel? IDK how that will work with colorblind folk.

I'm not good with modding or I'd try it myself. I hope one of you finds this useful. Thank you!

i-make-robots
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Griefing: a modest proposal

Post by i-make-robots »

Aside from that... I actually perversely enjoy "hunt the troll", it's like a fancy version of Among Us. Could that be a game mode? No Mementos, no "last touched by", no map... just paranoia.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Ideas and Suggestions.
I suggest either splitting your different suggestions into different threads (if you consider they are different suggestions) or avoid multiposting, and edit your first post rather than answering to your own post (if you consider both are part of the same suggestion).

Now concerning anti-grieving systems, I don't have any opinion, I have long ago found the perfect solution to this issue : I play alone, or with people who are friends I know from elsewhere, not perfect strangers that randomly connect to a server. I have yet to see a griever in one of my maps.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This idea of deleting by replacing with a ghost would match to the idea of “planning”, where you can place a new kind of ghost, that is ignored by the bots.

I really like it. :) it would add completely new strategies I cannot imagine yet. 8-)

Some links:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54920 Inactive Blueprints
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48983 Locked Ghosts for Planning/piece-by-piece building
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58501 Construction Exclusion for base planning

Old:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682 point #4 in Planning (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and more...)

Related:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99235 Ability to disable stationary roboports

Edit: I underline what’s Koub is saying. It makes no sense to suggest A and in the next post to say you have fun with B, which is a counter argument to A. :roll:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”