Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Pi-C »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:30 am
Is there a simple way to find out, which other recipes do use the same ingredients?
Perhaps What is it really used for? may help you? You can search for an item/fluid and it will show you all recipes of which it is a product, and all recipes where it is used as an ingredient. However, it doesn't allow searching for several things at the same time.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Zathuras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zathuras »

Hi All!

Hope this qualifies as short:
Are there options or maybe debug commands to turn parts of the game off, like deactivating all logistic systems, or halting all belts? Or even, pause the entire game, while still being able to place stuff?
I ask because my megabase is struggling to stay at 60fps, and anytime I want to place a large blueprint the game almost grinds to a halt.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Zathuras wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:25 pm
pause the entire game, while still being able to place stuff?

Code: Select all

/editor

Zathuras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zathuras »

Facebalm. Apply generously. thanks^^

Might someone know how to tell a train he should not change paths whilst in a roundabout (cause he will be crashing into his own rear end)?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Make sure the roundabout is larger than the train is long. Or, avoid using roundabouts. Your choice.

Zathuras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zathuras »

But they are so nice!
Trains are 4/12, that would make them humongous. And A four -lane intersection isnt much better :-(
atm I have cut them in one place, so they do not go all the way around.
Maybe I can do some logic stuff wich does the same, so a train can only leave the way it came at most.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

That’s an idea. Put a watcher signal in place and as soon as it goes red from a train entering the roundabout, have the signal conne to g/separating that side’s I let and outlet gets turned red too? Not sure if that would impact normal operation of the signal though. Might need a separate specially placed signal in addition to the regular one?

Zathuras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zathuras »

Ok, I tried a simple Rail signal in a position where it should have broken the cycle.
Trains apparently ignore Red lights if they are causeing these red lights themselves.
Therefore, a broken circle seems the only option.
This is bugging me greatly.

Beamup
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beamup »

I think that's why astroshak's first answer is the standard - make them large enough that this question does not arise.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Zathuras wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 am
Trains apparently ignore Red lights if they are causeing these red lights themselves.

Yes,
I think i read (in an FFF?) that it was made this way to answer cases such as those :
signal.jpg
signal.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
The game will draw the signal red, because there is a train present in the curvy block. But the train would still cross it.

noredforme2.gif
noredforme2.gif (665.64 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
The red signal on the right side shows that the long block of rail is "reserved" for the train.
The train never leaves the long block of rail : the loco goes past the right signal before the end of the last wagon has passed the blinking signal.

In both case trains are allowed to "re-enter" blocks that they occupy themselves and it's desired. In case of round-about it has some undesired effects :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I'm unable to find out why the setting of the inserter set to stop at 40 uranium doesn't work -
I have set the blue inserter to take out one uranium to the belt by setting to =1 and the other stack inserter to >1 and also tried >40 - still the second inserter puts 41 in the machine - pls help

Blueprint string:
0eNrFmN1uozAQhV9l5WuoAPOXSLsvsI+wqiICk8Qq2Mg23XarvPuOoU3SrJva7sXeRCHG38wcmMOQF7LtJxgl45qsXwhrBVdk/euFKLbnTW9+088jkDVhGgYSEd4M5kjLhqtRSB1vodfkGBHGO3gi6/R4HxHgmmkGC2k+eN7wadiCxBNOjF2jdMy4AqlxISKjULhLcBMUSTHN74qIPJtvyV2BITomoV3OyCOCqWop+s0WDs0jE9Jsa5lsJ6Y3uNadWDsmld58UtCEBbFpiDNamGqMDroxoqTmYBgb2WgTg3wnx2WdL7kog0zNx14C8MuSWYfbUZAj7vhHh+wjLW8KkV4LkVnQ1AOd+aFzDzT1Qxce6MQPXXqgUz905Y7Oaj907YFe+aFXHujKD50mJ/YAnWkp6PF8ydp4FD3YJC/fIhiFMAIHtj9sxSSNgaTFvS3K2UZ+C9EBj9sDqNvNY0Tyat2LuPMx/aCV03Mvo2m0D/GO9Whpbt72WvN7b1sAi3++GavdqtBtxSNIyTrYzMHR6P6AuQy2ROlVorcypFe6XWRY/jf3/RHivl4SnR2uxSXJdtMebvrE6wVEcdhc2YN4bCQ8xcDxnj8MCIlHKVpQCjGm7DlnNQJ08SC6qYeYmlayJVP49tK5W629lFh7qby4KwB6l1bCMNaEq690Qjln7Hjv1x/f+9SWWe0+d9B3ZX7ueCt3dHJV7GXb24aExOPJVZzYuf3qZGnIzDHT3re/jZ0FZVq4CJzRoLzd2EETjaMmRcgg5sgug/J206QKytuNXYfMYo6arEJGSDc2TYLYTprQNEgTN3YWMkU6akJDhl9Hdh7EdtOkCNLEjV2GjNaOmvi8bJSe7DqIXbg8xWjQ64ZN7/tlgkLQ+W+LiPQNwvC3n8vk9W3XsH6SZjzC6UAtW+s0r1ZZlSe0yvL6ePwLYmuHmg==
7723AB30-9CD8-47AF-9D6E-5C64DE6828B1.jpeg
7723AB30-9CD8-47AF-9D6E-5C64DE6828B1.jpeg (202.41 KiB) Viewed 6163 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm unable to find out why the setting of the inserter set to stop at 40 uranium doesn't work -
You output 3 items 13 times an 2 items once, so the blue inserters condition never triggers. Use a stack inserter with the same stack size as the circuit connected one as output.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:26 pm
You output 3 items 13 times an 2 items once, so the blue inserters condition never triggers. Use a stack inserter with the same stack size as the circuit connected one as output.
Thank you Löwchen - your where most helpful as always :-)

napouser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by napouser »

Hi
First post here
For a while (1600 hours) i ve been building stuff that takes a long time especially pavement
Last time it took 3 weeks to finish the whole thing
Its kinda difficult to guess when its done and typically u just try to estimate by seeing the map

Is there a f4 command that shows the remaining assigments left counter like a number 488755 for example that keeps going down?

Is there a scripting language lua command that can show this?

Is it possible to make a mod that shows that counter?

Its kinda difficylt to be in the blind for weeks some times

Sorry if its in the wrong forum there are roo many here

Thanks

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

napouser wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 am
For a while (1600 hours) i ve been building stuff that takes a long time especially pavement
Is there a f4 command that shows the remaining assigments left counter like a number 488755 for example that keeps going down?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostScanner sounds like what you are looking for. Note that some performance hit is unavoidable; I haven't used it so I don't know if it is likely to be an issue, but the mod allows you to control update frequency, trading accuracy for performance.

(But if it is taking too long for construction robots to place eg tiles, the problem is that your production and/or robot infrastructure are insufficient. The factory must grow.)

napouser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by napouser »

SoShootMe wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:45 pm
napouser wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 am
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostScanner sounds like what you are looking for. Note that some performance hit is unavoidable; I haven't used it so I don't know if it is likely to be an issue, but the mod allows you to control update frequency, trading accuracy for performance.

(But if it is taking too long for construction robots to place eg tiles, the problem is that your production and/or robot infrastructure are insufficient. The factory must grow.)

Hmm yea actually while i was posting my question i thought about ghosts so i just made a destruction planner with ghosts items on ground etc etc and just used that to see how many entities it gets. Obviusly the fps goes down to 1 but it gives u a rough idea. Then i had the wonderfull idea to make a planner to destroy all rocks and collect stone and coal wich took about 10 hours. So i thank u for the suggestion but i think i ll try it with a simple planner so i can keep my map unmodded
Thanks again

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

BicycleEater wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:22 pm
To Impatient:
Maybe try turning off overlays and see if that helps.
Thanks for sharing your ideas on that. Turning off all overlays in map mode didn't change anything.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Im looking for a ultra compact red inserter production setup - any idea?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm
how many per min or second ?
what size is compact ? ( in relation with previous question)
does it require intermediate steps too ?

I would tend to think bot based assembly surrounded by beacons would be the most compact/volume you can get.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:37 pm
brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm
how many per min or second ?
what size is compact ? ( in relation with previous question)
does it require intermediate steps too ?

I would tend to think bot based assembly surrounded by beacons would be the most compact/volume you can get.
Compact is compact thought - nano :-)
No need for exact balancing. No bots
Including immediate steps - I think a line of copper & iron and a clever solution with undergrounds.
Similar to that one: https://youtu.be/sbm7lP9DzNI

Return to “Gameplay Help”