Validate Saves

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Validate Saves

Post by ssilk »

You may find eventually no errors with your memory. Cosmic rays are able to and do change RAM contents. It occurs rarely, but chances are.

https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/post/att ... osmic-rays
It's a well-documented fact that RAM in modern computers is susceptible to occasional random bit flips due to various sources of noise, most commonly high-energy cosmic rays. By some estimates, you can even expect error rates as high as one error per 4GB of RAM per day!
I would say the rate is not so high, but it rises with each GB of RAM, and it’s of course 4 times higher with 64 GB than with 16. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Well, yes, neutrinos and other shnyaga))
In my case, everything is probably more prosaic, summer and high temperature (now it is early morning and +40 outside the window, in the afternoon and +50 happens)
In general, the first run of the test is a little disappointing - 8 random errors in 6 hours of testing (48 GB)
But I am a noble overclocker and thrifty :))))))))
I removed two memory sticks, put two other memory sticks, the result is obvious - in 8 hours of the test, not a single error! (even a neutrino flew past apparently :)
Apparently, all the same, the temperature and heating took place.
If you are interested in details and screenshots, I can provide :) I have not started the game itself yet :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

👍🤟
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”