[1.0.0] Spidertron does not show entity.speed

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.0.0] Spidertron does not show entity.speed

Post by billbo99 »

Its possible to look at the speed of cars / tanks using the LuaEntity property .speed ... with Spiderton this value is not exposed.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Spidertron does not show entity.speed

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
Added for the next release.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Thanks posila!
Spidertron definitly needs to be about twice as fast to be balanced for late game base building. So I was going to fix it with a mod. And then I found out that speed is kind of not moddable. But now I'm happy again :)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Qon wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:30 am
Thanks posila!
Spidertron definitly needs to be about twice as fast to be balanced for late game base building. So I was going to fix it with a mod. And then I found out that speed is kind of not moddable. But now I'm happy again :)
Progressive running for spidertron?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

It's already accelerating up to it's max speed so I don't think it's necessary to add some additional progressive running mechanic to it. I just want it to be about 2 to 2.5 times faster in top speed and probably accel. So the spider witout legs is comparable to a car and almost as fast as PAMKII, and a speed upgrade to PAMKII with legs in the spider. But it doesn't have to be as fast as trains or something. I just want it properly balanced.

But there's a thread for discussing balance of it, which I linked above ;)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Oh, I thought it was a data stage prototype .speed value that was going to be added. I thought this fix was just never implemented, but it was for another thing. So speed is still not moddable?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Qon wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 am
Oh, I thought it was a data stage prototype .speed value that was going to be added. I thought this fix was just never implemented, but it was for another thing. So speed is still not moddable?
It is moddable but not directly or precisely. See https://github.com/tburrows13/Spidertro ... ng.lua#L11, which uses the create_spidertron function in base (which was added in 1.1).
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Xorimuth wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:59 am
It is moddable but not directly or precisely. See https://github.com/tburrows13/Spidertro ... ng.lua#L11, which uses the create_spidertron function in base (which was added in 1.1).
No, it's not. Doesn't count when that value can only be used to decrease the spidertrons speed. I tried to double spidertrons speed when spidertron was released and the values on the legs are effectivly just affecting the animation speed of the legs and not how fast spidertron travels. Multiplied those leg animation values (step size and step speed and any other property that sounded remotely connected to affecting vehicle speed) by like 100 and got something that looked ridiculous, but it didn't travel fast.

I'm the guy who managed to scale Spidertron correctly btw. I remember you Xori. :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The spider speed depends on the leg speed and their stretch force and some complex internal calculation,
So it isn't just some single prototype value that we can easily expose to increase/decrease the speed

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:10 pm
The spider speed depends on the leg speed and their stretch force and some complex internal calculation,
So it isn't just some single prototype value that we can easily expose to increase/decrease the speed
Are you saying that the current base speed wasn't chosen based on any balancing decisions, but just what it kind of arrived at after the animation was completed?

You could add one though and expose it. And quite easily, skipping all those internal complex calculations. The exoskeletons do just that when they add 30% speed, and they even do it dynamically, proving the possibility.

Which dev developed the spidertron? Or the movement and animation code and connected prototype properties, to narrow it down.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”