Gsync and "full screen"

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DefectiveNu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Gsync and "full screen"

Post by DefectiveNu »

I just recently got a monitor + GPU that can do adaptive sync (the monitor is one of the officially "compatible" types, not with a gsync module) and I noticed some stutters with other games in borderless if I had gsync enabled for windowed and full screen.

I changed the setting to only enable gsync on full screen mode, which for most games that I leave on borderless doesn't engage it as expected. However, factorio still enables gsync when its focused, even though it behaves in all other respects as a borderless window.

Somehow, the game seems to trick the graphics card into thinking its actually a fullscreen application, is there something I can do to prevent this?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gsync and "full screen"

Post by Loewchen »

You can disable it in the graphics driver for factorio only.

DefectiveNu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Gsync and "full screen"

Post by DefectiveNu »

Hmm... that does work except now I have the disadvantages of an actual fullscreen mode (slow application switching/monitor going black)

If I can't figure this out, I'll probably just fully turn off adaptive sync when I don't intend on using it, that takes a bit longer (and can displace windows) but is something I'd do far less often than tabbing out of Factorio :lol:.

This post is a bit of technical curiosity for me too as I'd like to know why my graphics driver thinks Factorio is running in full screen. I did see that it doesn't enable gsync if I select windowed mode in Factorio settings which made me think it might use some weird type of fullscreen I hadn't seen before, which would be interesting.

Return to “Technical Help”