Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Loewchen »

kn1g0 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:20 pm
why tf is this not pumping?
There is nothing to pump.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

As lowechen said, looks like there's nothing in the pipes to pump in. If it's supposed to be emptying, you need to rotate the pump to make it empty.

kn1g0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kn1g0 »

i realised my mistake that i need to rotate them but thanks or your reply

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

kn1g0 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:20 pm
why tf is this not pumping? (see atachments)
Because there is nothing in the pipeline.

KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KAA »

Hi there! Let's say I have end-game+ scale base with remote mining outposts, like 15 for iron/copper, 30 for oil. 2 trains per mine, let's say.
If I name all stations with the same name, like IRON MINE instead of IRON01, IRON02, etc. and set all train station limits to 2 - will it give me adequate automatic trains logistics, or is individual naming still better for the throughput perspective?
I can try, of course, but I believe there is a simple answer here, like "this can work"/"this will not work".

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

KAA wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:28 am
Hi there! Let's say I have end-game+ scale base with remote mining outposts, like 15 for iron/copper, 30 for oil. 2 trains per mine, let's say.
If I name all stations with the same name, like IRON MINE instead of IRON01, IRON02, etc. and set all train station limits to 2 - will it give me adequate automatic trains logistics, or is individual naming still better for the throughput perspective?
I can try, of course, but I believe there is a simple answer here, like "this can work"/"this will not work".
Yes, this will work. You need a few extra trains to compensate for trains in transit.
You can savely add as many trains extra (on top of your 2xN) as you have stations at your smelter(s).

KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KAA »

Bauer wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:09 am
KAA wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:28 am
Yes, this will work. You need a few extra trains to compensate for trains in transit.
You can savely add as many trains extra (on top of your 2xN) as you have stations at your smelter(s).
Thanks a lot! I realize I'll need some more trains but it's not an issue )

Koho
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Koho »

How could I make inserters grab items from a chest only after there's a set amount?
For example I only want my inserter to grab u235 from the storage chest after there's at least 50 in there.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Koho wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:49 pm
How could I make inserters grab items from a chest only after there's a set amount?
For example I only want my inserter to grab u235 from the storage chest after there's at least 50 in there.
Run a red or green wire from the inserter to the chest. Then you can set a condition to activate the inserter, e.g. ">= 50".

Koho
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Koho »

I see. Thanks Kyralessa!

BinPDA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BinPDA »

Hey, guyz, Plain this game over 800 hours and just now get some bug or something. I got my mods option panel lost. I tried almost every keybinding and mop option panel don't show up (this panel locates in left up corner, if you have mods installed). Here is a screenshot of my problem. https://puu.sh/HRiXd/001c910c89.jpg

By the way, if i start a new game all gonna be all right. Here is a screenshot. https://puu.sh/HRiXF/d31d88983c.jpg

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Check settings -> mod settings -> per player. There should be settings for module inserter and max rate calculator (?) whether they should generate a mod GUI in the top left corner.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

BinPDA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BinPDA »

Yeah, there is a couple setting for mods that i have installed. I change some setting and it is no differensee, GUI for mod panel dont show up. I think it was hide somehow (keybinding or something) but i don't understand how exactly, coz if i start a new game all gonne be alright.

fenix2777
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fenix2777 »

does anyone know is electric network ups usage affected by amount of poles/substations in any significant way or its depends mostly on entities using power?

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

fenix2777 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:14 pm
does anyone know is electric network ups usage affected by amount of poles/substations in any significant way or its depends mostly on entities using power?
AFAIK it is only affected by number of entities. The power network itself only needs to be updated once and the number of poles does not matter. But if you have several separated networks, then each of them is updated once.

plsrespond
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by plsrespond »

So... For a main bus build, how do people generally get all of the items from the drills, converted to iron, and then onto the bus itself, without spaghettification? I've watched/read a bunch of videos and guides and they all seem to... completely skip that, only focusing on the bus itself. Where in that chain should I be converting iron ore to plates to end up on the bus, for example? And then how is that stuff getting to the bus itself without causing a mess of everything? Just running tons of underground belts until it ends up there? Any examples of a wider field of view of it all working together? Thanks

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

Hey.
Is there a way to build rails ignoring trees and rocks? I believe I did it earlier, but now a bypass way is suggested.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

plsrespond wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:11 pm
So... For a main bus build, how do people generally get all of the items from the drills, converted to iron, and then onto the bus itself, without spaghettification?
Either smelt ore in situ, then transport plates to the end of the bus by train, or bring the ore in by train and smelt at the end of the bus. The first reduces the number of trains (eg you need 10 wagons of iron ore to fill one wagon of steel plate).

In general, you only avoid spaghetti by planning: having enough space (it is a good bet you will need more than you first think) and placing "functional blocks" (eg a train unloading stop or smelting column) to minimise crosses. I think there is no substitute for experience here; you will always do it better next time ;).
kitters wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:58 pm
Is there a way to build rails ignoring trees and rocks? I believe I did it earlier, but now a bypass way is suggested.
After starting the rail planner (by clicking on the green arrow at the end of a rail while holding rail), holding Ctrl will plan rails that avoid trees, rocks and cliffs in the way, while holding Shift will plan "direct" rails that ignore them. While still holding Ctrl or Shift, clicking will place ghost rails and, in the second case, also deconstruction and cliff explosives orders to clear the obstructions. Other obstructions (water, buildings, etc) will be avoided in either case.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

plsrespond wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:11 pm
And then how is that stuff getting to the bus itself without causing a mess of everything?
I don't really understand the problem. At the start of the bus you either have your smelters and bring in the ore by train eventually. Or you bring in the plates by train from off-site smelters. You can also transition from one to the other later on.
Either way doesn't result in a mess with regards to belts. You just have to plan ahead and make sure you have enough space. That's a matter of experience. It also helps to plan out the smelters with blueprints early on.

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

Can I enable auto-sort inventory of spiders and other stuff?

Return to “Gameplay Help”