Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: low quality graphics ..

Post by kingarthur »

kirazy wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:44 am
pyanodon wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:02 pm
the sprites are already done in their sizes, to increase them i would need to re-render which i wont. Downsize them to make the actual as hi-res would mess with some pipe connections.
Hi-res assets require you to use scale = 0.5. Normal res assets use scale = 1. There is no apparent difference in perceived size in-game, the only different is the number of pixels that make up the sprite.
yes but the current graphics are all ready at scale 1. so without re rendering them all the normals would be blown up in size to match the current entity sizes

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 am
the sprites are already done in their sizes, to increase them i would need to re-render which i wont. Downsize them to make the actual as hi-res would mess with some pipe connections.
Hi-res assets require you to use scale = 0.5. Normal res assets use scale = 1. There is no apparent difference in perceived size in-game, the only different is the number of pixels that make up the sprite.
yes but the current graphics are all ready at scale 1. so without re rendering them all the normals would be blown up in size to match the current entity sizes
Ah. So they're already low-res graphics, and it's the hi-res graphics that don't exist?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Airat9000 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 am
low quality graphics
Also perhaps not exactly what was asked for, I just remembered the No Animations mod which claims to reduce VRAM usage significantly.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 pm
Also perhaps not exactly what was asked for, I just remembered the No Animations mod which claims to reduce VRAM usage significantly.
I talked with kingarthur and he's going to implement frame_sequence as a means to maintain animations but with reduced frame count. Apparently py animations have an absurd number of frames.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm
I talked with kingarthur and he's going to implement frame_sequence as a means to maintain animations but with reduced frame count. Apparently py animations have an absurd number of frames.
Sounds like a nice compromise if it works (what with frame_sequence being itself limited to 255 frames = 4.25 seconds at 60fps). Does that imply he's also going to add some kind of mod option to allow user control over how strong frame count is reduced? Hm...looking at the wiki page it sounds like it should even be possible to make "No Animations" style generic mod that uses frame_sequence to procedurally reduce animations.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I hacked together a quick proof-of-concept dynamic sequence reducer. I don't have a map to test, so someone else will have to do that. If it works well enough I might release it to the portal.

Edit: Reduction ratio is a mod setting. Reduction of very short animations is a bit stuttery because of the simplistic poc algorithm, can probably be improved later.

Edit: Oops, forgot to add library dependency.

Edit2: There's now a proper polished mod portal release: Eradicator's VRAM Saver

PRIVATE USE ONLY. DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE.
eradicators-animation-reducer_0.1.1.zip
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Last edited by eradicator on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:50 pm
Does that imply he's also going to add some kind of mod option to allow user control over how strong frame count is reduced?
you mean something like this? plan is that by default itll cut the number in half and if you max it out at 255 itll just cut the animations completely. itll only work on normal mode though as hr version will stay the same as now.
Attachments
frame skip.png
frame skip.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 4462 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:24 am
you mean something like this? plan is that by default itll cut the number in half and if you max it out at 255 itll just cut the animations completely.
Heh, that's exactly how my setting works in the demo mod I posted above (lulz, 400+ downloads over night o_O). After some thought I think a simple 0-100% setting would be more intuitive to use though.
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:24 am
itll only work on normal mode though as hr version will stay the same as now.
I had the impression that the whole point is that there *is* only one version? Or are you making a copy for "normal" just to adjust the frames?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

So, after wasting way too much time on polishing the thing up and reducing the frame stutter I decided to officially publish it anyway so that other modpacks can benefit too.

I present you: Eradicator's VRAM Saver (let's see how long it takes this time to break 400 downloads...).

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 pm

I had the impression that the whole point is that there *is* only one version? Or are you making a copy for "normal" just to adjust the frames?
there is currently only a normal version in the files. the code i was working on makes a copy and adds it as the high res version and then edits the normal res version to remove frames as i assume anyone using the hr version probably doesn't care about vram issues and cant break anything by messing with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 am
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 pm

there is currently only a normal version in the files. the code i was working on makes a copy and adds it as the high res version and then edits the normal res version to remove frames
I see. My procedural approach has two reduction settings, one for "normal" and one for "hr_version" (let the user decide what they need), and is completely agnostic to where the animations really come from. It just applies the sequence downsampling to anything it "finds". Mostly because it's much much simplier than writing a proper parser for recursive animation layers and having to care where those even are in each kind of prototype. Ofc your situation is different if you only need to deal with definitions that you wrote yourself :D.
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 am
as i assume anyone using the hr version probably doesn't care about vram issues and cant break anything by messing with it.
I don't know if I'm alone, but I do like the crispyness of HR tiles, belts, icons, character animations etc. So I'm using HR even though I only have 2gigs of VRAM. I think I might prefer reduced HR animations over full-animation-but-everything-lq. (Would need some actual playtesting.)

___
Also one thing I noticed is that many/most(?) py building animations don't scale with speed bonus (match_animation_speed_to_activity), is that on purpose? Because I experimented with really low frame-count animations (i.e. 3 frames) and I noticed that on assembling machines with very high speed bonus the frame reduction is quasi unnoticible because the animation runs so fast.

[Edit: On minimal frame count it does look better still, but it's only on medium frame count that is becomes unnoticible.]

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

the animations dont scale at purpose or on mk04 level with modules it would be too fast.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

orzelek wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Grab gpu-z and check video memory usage in it. It will show you if you are actually filling up gpu's memory.
Yeah, also watch out for symptoms like these spikes in "GPU load" :
GPU_spikes.png
GPU_spikes.png (77.26 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
This helped making zooming much more smoother for me in 0.16 AB (despite only "10% GPU load"), might or might not apply here :
optimize_sprite_atlas.png
optimize_sprite_atlas.png (81.72 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Also, what Zanthra said.

Considering your CPU : "6 AMD PHENOM II 1050", and therefore DDR3 RAM, it might not be the graphic card (especially a 8 Go one) that is the bottleneck. (32 Go of RAM might not help that much if the RAM is slow ?)

----
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:14 pm
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 am
Ah. So they're already low-res graphics, and it's the hi-res graphics that don't exist?
Right, oh, wait, Factorio actually has THREE levels of graphics, with IIRC "low-res" being 1 pixel for 4 of normal too..?
... or was "low-res" actually deprecated with 0.17 ?

Also I remember mipmaps being added after 0.17.0, or was it just for icons & belt icons ?

----
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm
Oh, is this going to help with the slowdown around biosamples "ore" ? :)
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 am
So, after wasting way too much time on polishing the thing up and reducing the frame stutter I decided to officially publish it anyway so that other modpacks can benefit too.

I present you: Eradicator's VRAM Saver (let's see how long it takes this time to break 400 downloads...).
Thank youuuu ! :D
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:30 am
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:14 pm
Right, oh, wait, Factorio actually has THREE levels of graphics, with IIRC "low-res" being 1 pixel for 4 of normal too..?
... or was "low-res" actually deprecated with 0.17 ?

Also I remember mipmaps being added after 0.17.0, or was it just for icons & belt icons ?
Mipmaps are for icons, and per https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Animation, doesn't look like low_res is a thing.

You could easily fake it, though, by making a smaller image and then setting scale = 2 and have that be "normal", and your hi-res be your standard normal...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Thank youuuu ! :D
Np. Feel free to run around the internet and advertise ;).
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 am
Mipmaps are for icons, and per https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Animation, doesn't look like low_res is a thing.
Mipmaps are supported on lots of stuff, including Animation which you just linked. But mipmaps are a memory-for-speed trade. They consume *more* memory, not less.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 pm
Mipmaps are supported on lots of stuff, including Animation which you just linked. But mipmaps are a memory-for-speed trade. They consume *more* memory, not less.

Code: Select all

mipmap_count
Type: uint8
Default: 0
Only loaded if this is an icon (has flag "group=icon" or "group=gui").

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:06 am

mipmap_count

I think that option is to prevent mipmaps generation for icons and GUI elements that are drawn at specific scale ratios. Basically mipmaps are always generated in full for non-icons, and if the mipmap_count is specified, a specific number can be generated for icons if they are expected to be drawn at half scale or quarter scale etc.

Basically the default for icons is 0, thus 0 levels of mipmap.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:06 am

mipmap_count
Yea, but is there a mechanism that prevents setting that flag on an entity (etc.) animations? After scrolling through the whole prototype overview I haven't seen a single instance where a Prototype/Animation is used as an icon. Only Prototype/Sprite and IconSpecification seem to be used as icons, and the latter has icon_mipmaps not mipmap_count. So I'm a bit puzzled what the intention is there.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say: mipmaps are not meant to reduce VRAM usage.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm
Yea, but is there a mechanism that prevents setting that flag on an entity (etc.) animations? After scrolling through the whole prototype overview I haven't seen a single instance where a Prototype/Animation is used as an icon. Only Prototype/Sprite and IconSpecification seem to be used as icons, and the latter has icon_mipmaps not mipmap_count. So I'm a bit puzzled what the intention is there.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say: mipmaps are not meant to reduce VRAM usage.
Oh, I agree mipmaps don't save memory. I was just contesting the idea they can be used for more than just icons. I don't quite buy Zanthra's response, unless we're talking about different things. When discussing mipmaps I don't really mean the auto-generated mipmaps the game creates, I mean the manually created mipmaps that are added in the files at specific scaling steps. I don't think there's a way to do that for anything but icons.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:10 pm
Oh, I agree mipmaps don't save memory. I was just contesting the idea they can be used for more than just icons.
And I'm not contesting that mipmaps are *intended* to be used for icons. Just saying that the docs suggests that it's a simple flag check and thus I'd assume they can be used on non-intended things too.
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:10 pm
I don't quite buy Zanthra's response
Neither do I. Unless icon_mipmaps and sprite/animation mipmap_count are completely different implementations.

Return to β€œPyMods”